New to Texas with T/A

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Texas with T/A

Moving to Houston area (Mont Belvieu or Baytown) from Ocala, Florida with the Trans Am. Moving with work, it should be a great gig, but will miss the beautiful beaches and springs in Florida....

Anyway, in Florida we don't have inspections etc. I am just curious what they look for in Texas? My car is mostly stock, with a cat back exhaust.

One thing I worry about, is the front tag. I will be installing the APS twin turbo kit soon and had planned to leave the front piece out of the bumper to allow cooling through the intercooler. Any of you have any thoughts on this?

Any help is appreciated, I am looking forward to the move, just don't know what to expect.

I know that I will miss Mike Norris at Norris Motorsports. He is over in Winter Garden, FL and is a hell of a great guy. I will have to find a new shop....
Old 03-08-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

the inspection should be no problem as long as you have legal tint and no ses light and the usual working safety equipment. e-brake , blinkers, fully functioning headlights ,horn ,back up and license lamps
Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
the inspection should be no problem as long as you have legal tint and no ses light and the usual working safety equipment. e-brake , blinkers, fully functioning headlights ,horn ,back up and license lamps
Do you have to run a front plate in Texas?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pinky93
yes you do most police here are pretty strict about it. and i still refuse to put one on my car. have only been stopped one time in 5 years for it. just gotta decide if you want to ugly up the front of the car with it.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
yes you do most police here are pretty strict about it. and i still refuse to put one on my car. have only been stopped one time in 5 years for it. just gotta decide if you want to ugly up the front of the car with it.
+1. no front plate here either, but they will mess with you if they get a notion
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pinky93
You are supposed to have one visible from the front of the vehicle. Mine is on the passenger dash with suction cups holding it to the window.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
You are supposed to have one visible from the front of the vehicle. Mine is on the passenger dash with suction cups holding it to the window.
Will the cops allow that without any issues? I have the same issues as the OP (moved here and can't put one on the TA because I have that section cut out for my intercooler).
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been told by Sugar Land PD putting it in the front window is OK.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Buddy of mine asked a cop if it was legal in the windshield and the cop said as long as you can see it. Cop looked at his from a few feet in front of the car and said he was good.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
Will the cops allow that without any issues? I have the same issues as the OP (moved here and can't put one on the TA because I have that section cut out for my intercooler).
I've driven (and sped) past cops, been pulled over twice and no problems from local and state troopers.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't he just keep regestering in FL?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
the law is up to individual officers' interpretation. some allow it, some don't
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I keep mine under the back portion of the rear seat, so in case I do get pulled over I just throw it up on the dash to get a warning...but as per Texas Law, you're SUPPOSED to have one in the front....keyword supposed to..and as far as your 2nd worry about finding a new shop, you are moving to what is said to be the LSx tuning capital of the U.S...You have plenty of good, quality shops around the Houston area...there's G-force in pearland, LMR is in Houston, Post Chuck HPE, Pavlock...the list could go on an on...I've delt with Mike and his crew at G-force ad they have exceptional customer servie and do great work, they always take care of their customers..Steven and the guys at LMR are just as eceptional, no personal experiance with them as far a sservice but have talked to Steven out at TX2k8 and he was more than whilling to shoot the **** for a min...