ABS Inop Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Inop Light

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have recently noticed my ABS INOP light coming on and staying on even after I reset the system. 1. how can I trouble shoot it. 2. Is it the abs sensors? 3. Is it the abs module. 4.Is there a write up on it. I appreciate any help on this
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Launching!

i need help with the same shiyt!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this helps....but when my 94 had that light on it was because of the brake light being burnt out in the spoiler. My cruise control quit working too....but when I put a new bulb in the brake light the ABS Inop light went off and the cruise worked again....
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Not sure if this helps....but when my 94 had that light on it was because of the brake light being burnt out in the spoiler. My cruise control quit working too....but when I put a new bulb in the brake light the ABS Inop light went off and the cruise worked again....
unwilling but I checked this theory before, all brake lights are working.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your grounds, mostly the 3 on the back of the drivers side head. I've heard they can cause this light to come on.

Mine just did the same thing and I found a ground loose. Just dont know if it fixed it yet though.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ABS sensors up front could possibly be dirty, which is the most common problem...just jack the front wheels up, take them off, and turn the wheel to full lock to one side, spray some WD-40 in the back side of the hub and repeat for the other side...when Mine came on it was a combo of the 3rd brake like being out, and the sensors upr front being hella dirty...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Believe it or not, I had this light and the "BRAKE" light on for about 6 months. Turns out it was a 10 cent fuse that was blown. I replaced the brake fuse, and both lights turned right off and never came on after that.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Is your car a 3 or 4 channel syster meaning traction control or no traction control? Depending on which one it is Try changing your wheel speed sensors. You can buy the whole wheel hub assembly from o'riely's for about 85 bux +/-. On my previous Z mine had a few abs issues and after changing all three sensors one on the top of the rear pumpkin on a non tcs car, and changing my abs module this cured it. You might want to bleed the **** out of your master too. pm me for any other ?'s related.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Check brake fluid level? Happened before in my friends Camry. Went away after he added some brake fluid
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

I am gonna try all those right now.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

I had this same problem.

I had to replace the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). Brand-New, they go for around 999.99 (GM Parts Direct)
I found a place in Florida that rebuilds them for half the price.
Or you could grab one from a junkyard for $125.

I grabbed one from a junkyard and installed it. The stealership said I was going to have to "flash" it to clear the memory. After I installed the part I drove about 2 miles and the lights just turned off...no issue since.

I think what caused the issue in the first place was when I had to bring my car to an abrupt stop. After that the SS's ABS light would come on "every now and then" until it just stayed on.

Now. Everything works fine.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

If anyone is around plano garland or greenville, send me a PM. I have a scantool that reads all that ****. I wouldn't charge you anything, but you'd have to drive to me.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Default Reviving the Thread...

Originally Posted by Blackfly
I had this same problem.

I had to replace the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). Brand-New, they go for around 999.99 (GM Parts Direct)
I found a place in Florida that rebuilds them for half the price.
Or you could grab one from a junkyard for $125.

I grabbed one from a junkyard and installed it. The stealership said I was going to have to "flash" it to clear the memory. After I installed the part I drove about 2 miles and the lights just turned off...no issue since.

I think what caused the issue in the first place was when I had to bring my car to an abrupt stop. After that the SS's ABS light would come on "every now and then" until it just stayed on.

Now. Everything works fine.

Blackfly: when you replaced the EBCM did you replace the valve assembly that bolts to it? In my manual it says to use a new spring between the two, where did you get the new spring or did you use the old one?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

I just used the old one.

Actually, I had a the guy who built my engine install it. He just swapped them out.

To this date, No ABS lights at all.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
If anyone is around plano garland or greenville, send me a PM. I have a scantool that reads all that ****. I wouldn't charge you anything, but you'd have to drive to me.
What scan tool do you use? That is cool that we can look out for each other and help car guys out
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by davydman
What scan tool do you use? That is cool that we can look out for each other and help car guys out
I have an OTC. Goes to 2001, but 02 will work under 01. Wish I had a Tech 2..... Didn't want to spend that kind of money though.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

It could be several things. When mine had that issue, it was because my headers melted my abs sensor wires.