reccomend a Killeen/Austin area Machine shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reccomend a Killeen/Austin area Machine shop?

Here is my situation. I had purchased a set of LE heads/intake and a custom Bauer cam for my stock shortblock. I got all the parts together and on the install the hub hold broke off in the nose of the crank and is not coming out after several attempts.

So now I am looking to get a 383 shortblock built and use the same LE heads I have, just use a bigger cam. I have all the supporting mods to support a 383 so that end is covered. I am looking to do a N/A set up with around 12.1 compression and looking to go 11's and trap 120 MPH. Car is not a daily driver, I am thinking of going solid roller even... I want a nice street terror.

I am currently in Iraq till December and and looking at some options while I am over here. I was thinking about going with a vendor for a 383 compstar shortblock. But I would also like to keep the machine work local. The only problem I have is that once I get back in December, its maybe another year before I get sent out again so I dont have the time to wait forever for a motor to be built, hence the reason for a vendor shortblock. It took me almost a year to put together the head and cam kit I had and then a broken bolt killed it.

I figure I will have about $6K budget saved while I am over here for the shortblock and the odds and ends of the project. I am not aware of any machine shops in the Killeen area, the one that was there that built my turbo mini-van motor retired. I was hoping you guys could reccomend a nice shop in the Austin or even Waco area for me. Maybe a ball park figure for what you paid for your engine? Maybe PM me some places to stay away from. Or if you had a good experience with a vendor.

Thank you or your time and help.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Jeff, we have a shop recommendation thread over at Austin F-Body. If you would take a minute, you might find some good shops around the area.

Click HERE for the thread.

Also, my recommendation would be Extreme Machine and Performance in Georgetown. Perry is the owner and is one hella fine machinist and engine builder. 512 763-1777

Hope this helps out bro,

~Joe
Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks man, I wasnt aware of that site. What did that machine shop do for you exactly?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Depending on how local you want to stay. "The Car Shop" in temple seems like an ok place. They did a good job fixing my heads. Might want to check them out.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Teching In

I will check those places out when I am home on leave in September. Its not like I need anything exotic done. Just want a good shop.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Teching In

The car shop is in Temple but they have another shop in Killeen behind Napa auto parts , i had them rebuild my carb. Very professional and great service.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by My96z
Hey thanks man, I wasnt aware of that site. What did that machine shop do for you exactly?
Well, they milled some heads, magnifluxed, pressure tested, multi angle cut them, and assembled. Line bored, bored and honed with toque plates, and decked the block. He does not do anything with crankshafts.....he sends them to Waco Crank And Valve......which is a hell of a good place to go as well.

I never had Perry build an engine for me, but he does build engines for some of the local racecars. Seems like alot of circle track and sprint cars if I remember correctly.

~Joe

Quick Reply: reccomend a Killeen/Austin area Machine shop?