Weight lifting gurus... I have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
You are false, you over extend your miniscus and acl when you go past parallel. Touch your calves to you hanstrings with 3 plates on the bar. Do this a few times and come back with the results. In competetion you are only required to go parallel. They know what happens if you go past. DIstance to get the weigh up is not a measure of strength. Momentum has nothing to do with working out. If you use momentum then you arent strong enough and need to kick the weight down.
Yeah it's a famous argument, just two differing opinions on the matter with evidence that goes both ways lol.

Oh and that is not the kind of momentum i was talking about lol. When i talk about going ***-to-ground, i see it as as far down as you can go until the point of no return, with heavy weight. You do need to listen to your body and not over-do it. Me personally, my left knee is terrible, and stopping at parallel kills it! I hate watching people that use momentum when working out, and their whole body on exercises, i.e. cable rows, lat pull downs, etc... You want isolated, controlled, movements. I see people throwing up 110 dumbbells with bad form and it's just plain is stupid, i wanna tell them to just back it down to 95 and go down for 4 secs and explode up for 2, etc... It's all about form.

It's tough to remember sometimes that everyone's body is built differently. Again, people have to listen to their body and do what feels the best to them, which means not getting hurt but at the same time pushing yourself to making gains.

And Mikey looks like he knows what he's talking about here. So ill let him take it from here lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

h/c/i stang, awesome info man. Im going to def take your advice. Last yr when I worked out more often, I used to do slow reps and saw good gains. I recently started working out again a couple months ago and strayed away from the slow reps and havent seen the results I had in the past. Thanks for the help man.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes you need to do squats. leg presses dont really do anything. and it seems like you have plateaued. switch up your workout to keep your muscles growing. curls on the other arm will make it grow. squats/power cleans will give your legs the size you are looking for
Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Teching In

A great video on squat form:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744

It is crazy to hear so many people argue against good depth while squatting. It can be bad for your knees if done incorrectly but with good form it is actually safer. Stopping above parallel puts much greater stress on your knees. Every competitive weightlifter is supposed to go below parallel, like olympic lifting where every lift is literally ATG.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
Yeah it's a famous argument, just two differing opinions on the matter with evidence that goes both ways lol.

Oh and that is not the kind of momentum i was talking about lol. When i talk about going ***-to-ground, i see it as as far down as you can go until the point of no return, with heavy weight. You do need to listen to your body and not over-do it. Me personally, my left knee is terrible, and stopping at parallel kills it! I hate watching people that use momentum when working out, and their whole body on exercises, i.e. cable rows, lat pull downs, etc... You want isolated, controlled, movements. I see people throwing up 110 dumbbells with bad form and it's just plain is stupid, i wanna tell them to just back it down to 95 and go down for 4 secs and explode up for 2, etc... It's all about form.

It's tough to remember sometimes that everyone's body is built differently. Again, people have to listen to their body and do what feels the best to them, which means not getting hurt but at the same time pushing yourself to making gains.

And Mikey looks like he knows what he's talking about here. So ill let him take it from here lol.
wrd

I have to hold myself back from telling people that they're wasting their time doing whatever they're doing.
Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
h/c/i stang, awesome info man. Im going to def take your advice. Last yr when I worked out more often, I used to do slow reps and saw good gains. I recently started working out again a couple months ago and strayed away from the slow reps and havent seen the results I had in the past. Thanks for the help man.
Not a problem my man. Keep your focus and lift smart.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

BTW, I just did legs tonight. I... can... barely... walk...
  • Leg Press x2 sets/10 (to warm up)
  • Squats x5 sets/5 +1 set/20
  • Weighted lunges x3 sets/6
  • Leg extensions x3 sets/10
  • Leg curls x3 sets/10
  • Calf raises x3 sets/10
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

just start using the other hand to beat it
Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

If you wanna find out how manly you really are in the squat rack you should do box squats or one-legged squats.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben R
If you wanna find out how manly you really are in the squat rack you should do box squats or one-legged squats.
One legged squats = hospital visit waiting to happen!

This thread is pretty funny.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black2001z06

Most people who can squat pretty heavy can't even single legged squat their own bodyweight.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm Mike Hutto

It damn sure is.

I rotate exercises every time i go in. I have a 3 exercise rotation just like DC describes. one day its leg press..another day is squats, and my last rotation day is hack squat. 20 second static holds are brutal! Most don't even have the nuts to attempt a 20 second static hold with 800+ lbs.

1 working set. 4 warmup sets.

My soreness is just enough to know I did well and that I can completely feel no soreness by the 4th day when its time to go back at it on legs. My workouts are slow down, explode up. I do a 6 second negative phase on every rep. Id rather grow at double the pace then working out so hard it takes me a full week to recover. Growing 52 times a yr vs 104 isnt putting on much size
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people who can squat pretty heavy can't even single legged squat their own bodyweight.
well duh, put 250lbs on one leg. I think you are the winner of the best way to blow out your knee contest. I have never heard of anyone doing a one leg squat. It poses a major problem with stability.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
well duh, put 250lbs on one leg. I think you are the winner of the best way to blow out your knee contest. I have never heard of anyone doing a one leg squat. It poses a major problem with stability.
Athlete's have been doing one legged squats for years now. Obviously the goal is to build balance, stability, and core strength. You can also correct any right/left side dominance.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Athlete's have been doing one legged squats for years now. Obviously the goal is to build balance, stability, and core strength. You can also correct any right/left side dominance.
This thread gets even funnier, lol.

Don't get me started...

Ben,
I tried not to chime in here, because of how annoying it is when people ask you for help, but don't want to help theirselves.
No offense, but please quit giving retarded advice.
Would you care to compare pictures to show how good your exercise is working for you???

Last edited by Black2001z06; 03-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me started...

Ben,
I tried not to chime in here, because of how annoying it is when people ask you for help, but don't want to help theirselves.
Would you care to compare pictures to show how good your exercise is working for you???
I agree. It always happens on here, someone offers advice about something that they dont know about and steers the OP in the wrong direction. Like said, one legged squats are retarted, why not do one armed bar bench press, lol. It builds strength and stability.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't get me started...

Ben,
Obviously you don't do them with weights. Of course that's retarded.

And I've lost over 60 lbs through diet and exercise so I would think I'm doing something right.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I've always had the problem, that my right arm is larger/stronger then my left.
Did someone already make the customary "switch hands when jerking off" comment? If not then 'first'

'littles
Old 03-28-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously you don't do them with weights. Of course that's retarded.

And I've lost over 60 lbs through diet and exercise so I would think I'm doing something right.
Congrats bro.
Adversely, I have gained over 60lbs of PURE muscle in my 7 yrs of training, so I would think that I'm doing something right as well.
You keep doing your one legged squats, meanwhile...I will be over here doing my little 495lb squats and making GAINS.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats bro.
Adversely, I have gained over 60lbs of PURE muscle in my 7 yrs of training, so I would think that I'm doing something right as well.
You keep doing your one legged squats, meanwhile...I will be over here doing my little 495lb squats and making GAINS.
thats real good. very impressive
i built my foundation with powerlifting, moved to bodybuilding.
my pb was 220 lbs. 7% bf. when i was training on the regular.
i hurt my back(at work, not training) so i stopped for few yrs. just starting back up.
im not starting from the bottom, im digging myself out of a hole.
some of the newer supplements are really helping me out.
i tried some of Super Pump250 and dam! it works
Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
thats real good. very impressive
i built my foundation with powerlifting, moved to bodybuilding.
my pb was 220 lbs. 7% bf. when i was training on the regular.
i hurt my back(at work, not training) so i stopped for few yrs. just starting back up.
im not starting from the bottom, im digging myself out of a hole.
some of the newer supplements are really helping me out.
i tried some of Super Pump250 and dam! it works
Thanks, but I don't powerlift, nor do I shoot up, therefore I could not become competitive at any real level.
I just train daily.
I guess, one could classify me as moreso a bodybuilder.
I'm 6/2 238lbs and around 11% bf.
I got a few pictures, but I ain't on here to brag.
I don't take anything but protein and I am a strong advocate of not taking any supplements really.
I have more drive and desire than most of anyone in the gym(including the ones on the squeeze).
The mirror is what drives me.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightweight baby.