Friend is getting a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend is getting a mustang

5.0 heads and a bcam only problem is that it needs to be timmed. so what does that exactly mean. does it have something to do with the belt or something.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by That_guy
5.0 heads and a bcam only problem is that it needs to be timmed. so what does that exactly mean. does it have something to do with the belt or something.

timmed
Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

hey on the description it says it needs to be timmed lol. i did some research and it all that comes up is something about the belt. i just wanted to be sure
Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Timed. Distributor
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

it just needs a "tune up".
Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

ok what needs to be done K.T you say the distributor, 2slow you say a tune up. i also thought a tune up at 1st. here's a link to the car

http://dallas.craigslist.org/f t w/cto/1085756690.html

btw f t w spaced out cause dumdumdum comes up when its together. forgot that word was banned
Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You hook a timing light up to it, point it towards the balancer (with car running) and set the timing by turning the distributor slightly. 14°ATDC is usually a good setting.

A more in depth explanation:
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php

By the way, if I were selling a car and all it needed was for the timing to be set, I'd have it set before I put the car up for sale. I wonder if that is really "all it needs"?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
You hook a timing light up to it, point it towards the balancer (with car running) and set the timing by turning the distributor slightly. 14°ATDC is usually a good setting.

By the way, if I were selling a car and all it needed was for the timing to be set, I'd have it set before I put the car up for sale. I wonder if that is really "all it needs"?
o ok then seems easy. ive been wondering what else it needs to. They seem to be trying to get rid of it in a hurry. ive been looking for other 5.0s also. The car runs from what the description says. The corral.net site doesn't work also
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

setting the timing on a 5.0 is easy, like stated i would take care of that before i sold the car. maybe theres more to it and the timing is covering it up.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

The timing light i can get that at autozone right. I will call the owner and see what the deal is
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Default Timing

Seting the timing is very simple on those. If i rember there is a sensor you unplug before you change the timing on them. But I agree the whole "timing" issue is probably a cover up for something more severe wrong with the motor. I would drive it and take it to someone who knows what they are looking at before spending any kind of money.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Friends don't let friends drive Mustangs....

For some reason that "timing" excuse sounds like a cover up for something else.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-

Yep back in the jurassic period, before fancy computer technology we set timing with a wrench, a gun, and scraped knuckles. Ah, the good old days.

I agree. It might be something simple such as a sensor or as serious as a headgasket or distributor and they are telling you it is just timing, either through ignorance or deception.

Originally Posted by 99problemz
Friends don't let friends drive Mustangs....
Hey now........

Ain't nothing wrong with the Mustang. At least not the 5.0s that I've owned or still own. They are underpowered compared to a modern LS engine, but for their time they were awesome.

For some reason that "timing" excuse sounds like a cover up for something else.
Yep. But I have seen people sell cars cheap for even easier fixes than timing because they didn't know any better.

Just be sure to take someone who knows what they're doing, with you.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=DueceDuece;11318563]Seting the timing is very simple on those. If i rember there is a sensor you unplug before you change the timing on them. QUOTE]

Yep...spout connector. Set it to about 10* (stock) for testing purposes.After everything else is set,slowly bump up your timing 2* to 12* and drive it around.If everything is cool,bump it another 2*.What you don't want to happen is bumping the timing so high that you start to get detonation (pinging). Usually like said,14* ends up about right.

As to the "timmed"...It could mean the base timing that you check with the gun or how the cam was set OR they have no clue and are throwing out a random issue for lack of knowing better.

My brother inlaw let go of his 5.0 because he couldn't track down a sputtering/stalling problem...I kept telling him to check his ignition system but he sold it.The new owner replaced the distributor and bam,problem solved...brother inlaw was like

Personally I like the Foxes,the only Stang I give real credit to for being fun,cheap and easy to work on...You just have to learn their "quirks".
Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure there is a timing plate on the block or you are going to be in a world of hurt. This is a plate mounted next to the crank hub where you point the timing light and it has markings for the deg timing on it. As the light flashes it will sync up with ignition and the indicator plate will tell you the current timing setting.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Lol he may be getting a lt1 now lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Yep back in the jurassic period, before fancy computer technology we set timing with a wrench, a gun, and scraped knuckles. Ah, the good old days.

kids today

my first car was a 3rd gen f-body. FI'd, but still had to set the timing manually... at least you COULD do it yourself though. if you dont have the software and cable, you can do **** with GENIII/IV except pay someone.

now i've been thinking about getting a carbed project car.... that lack of ANY electronics has me pretty intimidated actually, since i've never worked on one before.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

even worse
Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu

kids today

my first car was a 3rd gen f-body. FI'd, but still had to set the timing manually... at least you COULD do it yourself though. if you dont have the software and cable, you can do **** with GENIII/IV except pay someone.

now i've been thinking about getting a carbed project car.... that lack of ANY electronics has me pretty intimidated actually, since i've never worked on one before.

i feel the same way, i got spoiled by all the electronics in these cars, way to easy to monitor whats going on instead of reading plugs and changing jets.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All of the sudden the Fox body doesn't sound so bad anymore