What oil should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil should I use?

I've always used RP 5w-30 in my WS6. I saw a special for 5 qts of Castrol Syn, and a K&N filter for $25. I'm kind of getting tired of spending around $60 for 6 qts of RP, but if it TRULY adds hp, then it's worth it.

So does Royal Purple REALLY add hp like in their ad, or is it all just BS?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

anything that keeps your engine cooler= more HP.. i run royal purple 10w-30 and a K&N oil filter... i have a buddy that works at oreillys so i spend around 60 bucks instead of 120 for it all.. i also substitute a quart of royal purple for lucas oil sythetic booster.... I can notice a difference when driving but this is all just my opinion...
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sludge is real!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Castrol Syntec is considered my a majority of this site to be the best oil for ls1 engines if you get the german/european formula

Supposedly RP breaks down quickly under heat, I used to use it but got tired of spending the extra money on something I couldn't tell a difference in...now I use Pennzoil Platinum (another of the highest ranking oils for ls1 engines)

oil additives often do more harm than good (zmax makes the oil twice as corrosive and lucas can increase foaming of oil in the pan), I buy good oil and oil is the only thing that I funnel into my engine
Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Castrol Syntec is considered my a majority of this site to be the best oil for ls1 engines if you get the german/european formula

Supposedly RP breaks down quickly under heat, I used to use it but got tired of spending the extra money on something I couldn't tell a difference in...now I use Pennzoil Platinum (another of the highest ranking oils for ls1 engines)

oil additives often do more harm than good (zmax makes the oil twice as corrosive and lucas can increase foaming of oil in the pan), I buy good oil and oil is the only thing that I funnel into my engine
Hey, how do you like the Pennzoil Platinum? I too have always used Royal Purple, and am getting tired or spending so much money. I just did a Seafoam treatment, so I have about 200 miles to find a new oil. I was THINKING about trying Amsoil or Redline for the price of RP, or trying Pennzoil Platinum.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i switched from RP to penzoil platinum. No differences to me, but the oil comes out looking at lot better...

I hear it is one of the best performing out there.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I run Amsoil in all my vehicles. always seems to come out cleaner and not looking like sludge after 2000 or so miles
Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the fact that GM recomends Mobile1, why wouldnt you use mobile1??????
Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I use the European spec (german) Castrol Syntec 0w-30 and a K&N 2006 (truck) filter. I only drive about 5k/yr with my 4th gen, so i change the oil 1/yr whether it needs it or not.

where did you see that sale? Autozone had that sale last month but it was for $29.99, and they've increased the price of their K&N's to $14 now.

this month, o'reilly's has GTX & wix filter for $18. i use this for my 3rd gen. those wix filters are like $6
Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just been reading a lot of these threads, don't mean to hijack, but is the GERMAN castrol oil weight and what not rated the same as ours on the state side? I'm slightly curious to try this oil. RP did increase my lifter noise some, and I remember in my Formula I had used Castrol Syntech and it helped it a lot. Can you buy the german version at say autozone? I'm not a big fan of Oreillys. I believe I have a NAPA and a Advance Autoparts nearby as well. Regardless of the oil, I always change it at round 3-4k.

Again sorry if I'm hi-jacking.

EDIT

Also, isn't this more for colder winter climates? Wouldn't 5w30 work just fine?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02ws666
Mobil1 is a lot of hype now, it is a good oil, but there are better oils out there. Mobil1 uses a group III base stock blended with grp IV PAOs which is not bad at all, but a highly refined oil w/PAOs is not a real synthetic by definition. They do this because it is cheaper for them to a make their oil this way. I believe Mobil 1 at one time used grp IV base stocks, but they grew tired of competing with other brands advertising as synthetic while using grp III base stocks, so they jumped on the bandwagon.

There are other oils out there for nearly the same price that are made from group IV base stocks (PAO) 100% synthetic. German Castrol Synthetic is grp IV, while the American formulated version is grp III. Amsoil, Redline etc use grp IV.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
9 Second Club

Well, I just bought 6 qts of RP 5w30 from a guy on Ebay for $48 shipped. I guess I'm using RP for one more oil change, then I'm going to try Redline.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
Just been reading a lot of these threads, don't mean to hijack, but is the GERMAN castrol oil weight and what not rated the same as ours on the state side? I'm slightly curious to try this oil. RP did increase my lifter noise some, and I remember in my Formula I had used Castrol Syntech and it helped it a lot. Can you buy the german version at say autozone? I'm not a big fan of Oreillys. I believe I have a NAPA and a Advance Autoparts nearby as well. Regardless of the oil, I always change it at round 3-4k.

Again sorry if I'm hi-jacking.

EDIT

Also, isn't this more for colder winter climates? Wouldn't 5w30 work just fine?
yes, AZ sells the german 0w-30, and the pep boys near me just started carrying it as well. the bottle says 'european formula' on the front, and on the back it says 'made in germany'. i cant remember the last time i saw the US spec 0w-30, so they might have discontinued it.

and while there is no 'colder winter climate' in TX, you can read up on german castrol (aka GC) on www.bobistheoilguy.com and read about its properties.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02ws666
Mobil 1 pays GM to recommend the use of Mobil 1. Read through Bob is the Oil Guy website, about the breakdown of different oils.

By the way, I bought 6 qrts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 oil filter last week at Oreilly's for about $35 with tax. It was $3.99 per quart.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I get Penzoil Platinum at walmart, come in a 5qt jug for like $24 after tax, then pick up a single qt extra and go pick up a Wix/ Napa gold/ K&N filter at the next place along my way for $8-12. Unless the oil is on sale somewhere else...normal price is like $6.99/qt at AZ or Oreily's.

The PP stays very slick to the touch and mine was still "clean" looking after 5k miles of driving (lots of it very hard). Looked like RP or Mobile 1 with 2k miles on it.

Mobile 1 is probably fine oil, but if it costs the same as more I'm going to buy PP or GC instead just because they have shown good test results. I like promoting competition if nothing else. I am willing to bet that M1 didn't pass the savings cut on to consumers when they switched their base.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Mobil 1 Extended performance full synthetic(its better then regular Mobil 1 syn) and a Mobil 1 EP filter
Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've been using penz platinum and am very happy with it. always looks good when i change the oil. i've heard several times that RP sucks. ask bob the oil guy..

i'd like to try german castrol sometime. anybody tried the new castrol EDGE?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just bought 5 qt. of castrol syntec. ive been using castrol syntec 5w-40 and never had any problems. really good stuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

the best oil you can put in your car is any leading sythetic oil and then add the COMP cams synthetic additive...best thing right there.

RP is nice but for the price just stick to mobil 1 or PP or Syntec

IMO Amsoil is terrible...leave that to the diesel guys.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO Amsoil is terrible...leave that to the diesel guys.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering what givesyou that opinion. not arguing, curious.