New Mustang GT's Just Showed Up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

this thread went to **** quick

I don't like the new mustang though, the front end is even uglier than before...that was what we were discussing right?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
ok, i'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. it is fair to compare the GT500 to the ZR1. even if you do compare the Ford GT to the ZR1, isn't the ZR1 faster? there's always guys that will prefer GM's products over Ford's, and vice versa. why argue about it? this thread is starting to majorly suck
Ok, lets look at the differences between the GT500 and the ZR1.
700 POUNDS
IRS for the ZR1 vs the SRA GT500
3.42 rear end ZR1 vs 3.31 GT500
GT500 has a usable back seat
supercar status braking for the ZR1 vs the stock Brembo's on the GT500
6.2L supercharged ZR1 vs a 5.4L supercharged GT500

Yes the ZR1 is faster than a Ford GT. The only thing I stated the GT is better at is the driving experience. I love the ZR1 its a hell of a car but you guys are grasping for straws comparing the Z06 or the ZR1 to a Mustang. Ford does not have a competitor for the Corvette, and GM does not (yet) have a competitor for the GT500/KR.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Ok, lets look at the differences between the GT500 and the ZR1.
700 POUNDS
IRS for the ZR1 vs the SRA GT500
3.42 rear end ZR1 vs 3.31 GT500
GT500 has a usable back seat
supercar status braking for the ZR1 vs the stock Brembo's on the GT500
6.2L supercharged ZR1 vs a 5.4L supercharged GT500

Yes the ZR1 is faster than a Ford GT. The only thing I stated the GT is better at is the driving experience. I love the ZR1 its a hell of a car but you guys are grasping for straws comparing the Z06 or the ZR1 to a Mustang. Ford does not have a competitor for the Corvette, and GM does not (yet) have a competitor for the GT500/KR.
again the only thing i was comparing was the engines.... then speed came into play... misconception i guess...

BUT couldnt we compare the cts-v to the gt500/kr?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

**** it, you guys don't ever give up.
GM > GT500. I'm out.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02ws666
i got **** once for talking smack to someone on this site. here, this time, all i was doing was stating my opinion, and i get harrased from a ******* admin....great place.... im not saying they are meant to compete, i wasnt even really comparing the cars... if NE thing, i was comparing the FI gm engines and the FI ford engines, HORSEPOWER wise.... but i guess im a **** kid... o well...
ignore feature is nice, i don't see half the posts of most threads.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by white man
ignore feature is nice, i don't see half the posts of most threads.
i might have to try that then.. how do you do that?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
At least compare the Ford GT, not mustangs, to the ZR1. I don't know anyone who would rather have the Zr1...
After inspecting a GT up close and seeing the horrendous welds on the rear frame assembly I'd much rather have a ZR1.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
At least compare the Ford GT, not mustangs, to the ZR1. I don't know anyone who would rather have the Zr1...
Pick me pick me!! lol

Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought it was rather ugly. I didn't much like the previous body style. I like the GT500's looks though, and the 03-04 Cobras. But I will always remain partial to the 87-93 style, an 87 stang was my first car, then I graduated to the formula.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

I like it, if i buy a new car it would be on my list to look at.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

i gotta give props to all the rich a-holes (jk) that can afford those cars! until i can-i will stick to my trans am that can kick the new mustangs ***. at least they dont have to pay ~100/+/- for a strut tower bar.
"those cars"= zr1, ford gt, ect.... not the new mustang.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_S
I have gotten numerous phone calls from a guy name Johnny Gibbs at Monument and he told me that they should have their preorder SS in mid May and that we can test drive the v6 models around the same time. I wanted to laugh about driving the v6.
even though i get a sweet deal on parts from that dealership with my account. i would avoid buying a camaro there. before i put in a order for my 2010 ss. i went there they mentioned that they would be adding a 8-15k$ markup on all camaros. i laughed and told them to have a nice day and walked out!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Have you looked at my sig? LOL.
what the hell u sold the SS and got a z06? baller man

Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Back on topic..............

I didn't even know Ford redesigned the Mustang. I don't mind the new-retro styling. What I mind are these garbage engines they have been shoving down our throats for 14 years. I use to be 100% Ford loyal until they abandoned the people who kept them in business.

Some how they forgot that the fact the 5.0 aftermarket explosion is what kept divisions like SVT and FRPP going and interested new generations in Mustangs. They forgot that what kept thousands of people coming back and buying performance parts was the fact that you could get a stripped down 5.0, CHEAP, drive it off the showroom and go compete with anything on the street at the time. They were easy to work on too.

In 1996 they royal screwed Mustang and Ford owners. And when they realized exactly how badly they pissed everyone off and how badly they screwed up they immediately started talking about new engines and higher horsepower. 13 years later we're still waiting. The first thing they should have done was drop the 4.6 and shove it back into the Crown Vics and fire up the push-rod line again. When they killed the 5.0 Mustang they still produced 5.0s for other vehicles for a year or two. More than enough time to go back to them. Instead they completely canceled them and continued shoving "improved" versions of the 4.6 down our throats. I've been to college and gone, I'm vested in a career field, married, 2 kids, a 3rd on the way, 1 kid in school, my hairline is twice as far from my eyebrows as it was and I have wrinkles where there weren't any the last time Ford made a decent engine, and I'm still waiting for Ford to pull their heads out of each others back sides. Ford should have put the 351 Windsor in the base Mustang GT and forgotten they ever mentioned the word "modular".

When I first started looking into LS1s it was because I wanted something new to play with. I decided to actually get one when I realized I desperately wanted t-tops (something Ford only offered for 1 year) and a 6 speed manual transmission (something Ford STILL hasn't put in a Mustang GT). I knew I struggled for years trying to hang with and beat the LT1s and LS1s and decided I wanted to try one. When I first started looking the price of after market parts shocked me. $400 for a cam? I was used to paying $150. $800 for a top of the line plastic intake? Ford's was $450-$500 for a polished aluminum intake. Heads from the same company cost twice as much for an LS1 as they did for a 5.0. But I also knew how big the aftermarket was for the LS1 and how strongly it responded to minor modifications. Since I've gotten one I've found how simple an engine and car they are in most regards. Sure some of the bolts are a pain to reach and some of the maintenance can be a pain, but the engine reminds me of the 5.0 in a lot of ways.

Chevrolet has kept going the things that Ford abandoned a long time ago. Even when they killed the Camaro/Firebird they kept the LS engine going and have made it into what the 5.0 line use to be or better. And Ford has continued screwing their fans with the same old tired 4.6s. Oh wait, Ford put an extra valve in it and gave it a "boost" of 30 horse. Of course they also made it gain 300 lbs. That makes it all better.

The LS1 has gotten me interested in cars again and has even inspired me to work on my 1988 Mustang GT and 1994 Mustang GT and try to return them to their former glory. Until Ford remembers what a Mustang should be, I'll stick to my LS1 and my Fords of decades gone by.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

<== sexiest mustang bodystyle

2010 Mustang = GAY!!

Here is my theory why they didnt put the 5.0 4V into the new mustang this year. My theory is that there is such a great demand for the new camaro that ford realized that it was pointless to bring a challenger this early on into the game. Yes im talking about a mustang being a challenger to the camaro, disagree if you want. I think their logic was to wait until the camaro's such high demand falls then finally introduce a competitor. Then they will introduce the "All new 5.0 Mustang" that we all know is not a new technology by any means. There they can take away some of the sales away from the camaro and bring it into the mustangs. Its a marketing strategy. Unlike chevy, ford has decided to please their pockets rather than their fans. Mustangs should not be compared to Corvettes. They are two different classes.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02ws666
i got **** once for talking smack to someone on this site. here, this time, all i was doing was stating my opinion, and i get harrased from a ******* admin....great place.... im not saying they are meant to compete, i wasnt even really comparing the cars... if NE thing, i was comparing the FI gm engines and the FI ford engines, HORSEPOWER wise.... but i guess im a **** kid... o well...
sarge, I could care less about this Mustang thread, but this poster is right. I see abusive attitude coming from you in this thread. If you are an admin, you do need to tone it down and set an example of how to debate (or agree to disagree) like an adult.

Last edited by old_goat; 04-11-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
We dynoed one @ Strictly Monday. Made a whopping 278 rwhp.
Um, 272 RWHP is pretty good for a stock car.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Back on topic..............

I didn't even know Ford redesigned the Mustang. I don't mind the new-retro styling. What I mind are these garbage engines they have been shoving down our throats for 14 years. I use to be 100% Ford loyal until they abandoned the people who kept them in business.

Some how they forgot that the fact the 5.0 aftermarket explosion is what kept divisions like SVT and FRPP going and interested new generations in Mustangs. They forgot that what kept thousands of people coming back and buying performance parts was the fact that you could get a stripped down 5.0, CHEAP, drive it off the showroom and go compete with anything on the street at the time. They were easy to work on too.

In 1996 they royal screwed Mustang and Ford owners. And when they realized exactly how badly they pissed everyone off and how badly they screwed up they immediately started talking about new engines and higher horsepower. 13 years later we're still waiting. The first thing they should have done was drop the 4.6 and shove it back into the Crown Vics and fire up the push-rod line again. When they killed the 5.0 Mustang they still produced 5.0s for other vehicles for a year or two. More than enough time to go back to them. Instead they completely canceled them and continued shoving "improved" versions of the 4.6 down our throats. I've been to college and gone, I'm vested in a career field, married, 2 kids, a 3rd on the way, 1 kid in school, my hairline is twice as far from my eyebrows as it was and I have wrinkles where there weren't any the last time Ford made a decent engine, and I'm still waiting for Ford to pull their heads out of each others back sides. Ford should have put the 351 Windsor in the base Mustang GT and forgotten they ever mentioned the word "modular".

When I first started looking into LS1s it was because I wanted something new to play with. I decided to actually get one when I realized I desperately wanted t-tops (something Ford only offered for 1 year) and a 6 speed manual transmission (something Ford STILL hasn't put in a Mustang GT). I knew I struggled for years trying to hang with and beat the LT1s and LS1s and decided I wanted to try one. When I first started looking the price of after market parts shocked me. $400 for a cam? I was used to paying $150. $800 for a top of the line plastic intake? Ford's was $450-$500 for a polished aluminum intake. Heads from the same company cost twice as much for an LS1 as they did for a 5.0. But I also knew how big the aftermarket was for the LS1 and how strongly it responded to minor modifications. Since I've gotten one I've found how simple an engine and car they are in most regards. Sure some of the bolts are a pain to reach and some of the maintenance can be a pain, but the engine reminds me of the 5.0 in a lot of ways.

Chevrolet has kept going the things that Ford abandoned a long time ago. Even when they killed the Camaro/Firebird they kept the LS engine going and have made it into what the 5.0 line use to be or better. And Ford has continued screwing their fans with the same old tired 4.6s. Oh wait, Ford put an extra valve in it and gave it a "boost" of 30 horse. Of course they also made it gain 300 lbs. That makes it all better.

The LS1 has gotten me interested in cars again and has even inspired me to work on my 1988 Mustang GT and 1994 Mustang GT and try to return them to their former glory. Until Ford remembers what a Mustang should be, I'll stick to my LS1 and my Fords of decades gone by.
That's exactly what happened to me. Loved my 89 LX and my 91GT. Test drove a 4.6 and wasn't impressed. Raced quite a few 96-98 models in my GT with (they sometimes had more mods then I had done to my 5.0) and won alot more than lost. When I did lose, I couldn't believe the bolt-on mods it took for them to beat my free mods with mufflers gt.

Finally my buddy let me drive his 98 Formula WS6 and was like "DAMN". Ended up getting a 98 TA back in 2000 and haven't even bothered looking at the newer Mustang GTs because of the 4.6 engine. Like you said, Ford screwed a lot of mustang loyalist over with that engine.

I'm really sad to see that the new GT that was dyno'd put down less hp then my 1998 Trans Am did stock. That's down right
Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Bought a 07 GT 5sp and was very upset how slow and ruf riding they are after time. I got rid of it first of this year. Ford needs to step it up, I did like the look..Just no power at all.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
even though i get a sweet deal on parts from that dealership with my account. i would avoid buying a camaro there. before i put in a order for my 2010 ss. i went there they mentioned that they would be adding a 8-15k$ markup on all camaros. i laughed and told them to have a nice day and walked out!
Oh I would stay local. Strickland told me that they aren't marking up MSRP but hell, I would be lost without my truck and would be too upside down for the swap right now anyway. My wife asked me which vehicle I plan to get rid of, my car or my truck. I told her that we can trade in her H3 and she can drive my truck. She didn't laugh.