My new toy...03 Merc CL600

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
What do you guys think of these wheels? I like them anyway, but the turbine inspired styling seems kinda cool since the car is turbo'd...
Get those.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've got some LED's coming to change some of the lights so they match the HID's better, and some clear corners (to smoke of course). I did locate some wheels like the black ones pictured in Sugar Land, Tx...now I just gotta get down there to get them.
Anyway, after some of the aesthetics are taken care of, I'll be doing an ECU upgrade and hopefully some nice exhaust, if I can find anything for this car. Damn, the CL and S class Benz are hard to find stuff for! I know there has to be a snarling 12 under all those mufflers, silencers, and resonators!

Then, maybe hopefully someone will race me! So far my only race has been against an 80's Suzuki, like a GS550 or something. Apparently no one REALLY believes a Benz is looking for a race!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've got some LED's coming to change some of the lights so they match the HID's better, and some clear corners (to smoke of course). I did locate some wheels like the black ones pictured in Sugar Land, Tx...now I just gotta get down there to get them.
Anyway, after some of the aesthetics are taken care of, I'll be doing an ECU upgrade and hopefully some nice exhaust, if I can find anything for this car. Damn, the CL and S class Benz are hard to find stuff for! I know there has to be a snarling 12 under all those mufflers, silencers, and resonators!

Then, maybe hopefully someone will race me! So far my only race has been against an 80's Suzuki, like a GS550 or something. Apparently no one REALLY believes a Benz is looking for a race!
remove the V12 badges, get the SL65 exhaust and rev on ppl @ lights. They'll be like but then when you put 3 -4 lengths on them they'll be like

now I'm looking for one... thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty cool ride. I too thought you had to have the amg 65 to get the twin turbo V12. So what price range are these cars in? I like to hear about these niche rides that put down good power and you dont see much about. I bet that bitch has some torque.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Put some flowmasters on it.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Pretty cool ride. I too thought you had to have the amg 65 to get the twin turbo V12. So what price range are these cars in? I like to hear about these niche rides that put down good power and you dont see much about. I bet that bitch has some torque.
No...all 03-06 CL600's have turbos, and the CL55 03+ has superchargers. Yea...hella torque, rated at 580 from 1800-3500 rpm. And, honestly, the 4200lb car moves out well enough that I believe it.

I'm thinking about maybe some electric cutouts instead of an expensive catback, kinda redneck I know but it'd sorta be the best of both worlds...but it's gotta **** off the Benz owners that I'm not the typical owner.

And to the other guy who asked about price, you can usually find them as little as 20k up to 35k, depending on which year and mileage. Of course there are some that are much more expensive, but that's the typical range. Of course if I had the $$$ I'd get the CL65, but they are upwards of 60k...but, they have enough extras to justify it. AMG tuned suspension, 6 liter V12 with forged internals (mine is 5.5, kinda makes the 600 part confusing, huh?), and bigger turbos. They are rated from the factory at 604hp, so that's a big jump over mine. But...for $2400-5400 I can get between 590 and 625hp out of mine...and no AMG badges to give it away. I think 04+ came with Bi-Turbo emblems...but I'm not going to add those to my car, I'm going more for stealth. I mean, if you just saw my car cruising would you REALLY think that car could run mid 12's stock???

PS, 2003-2006 S600's have the same engine/power. Not bad for a land yacht...

And one last word to anyone who might be looking at these. AMG cars are always odd numbers, eg. E55, CL55, CL63, CL65...so don't be suckered into a CL500 with AMG badges...You could get an AMG sport package on the even number cars....but that doesn't make it a true AMG.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
01z
TECH Regular

keep us updated on this car dude, its fawking badass
Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm selling my 19" LM6 reps if you want. They just need a nice refinishing.

I hope you have ext. warranty. A 2003 CL600 will have reliability issues and you WILL be bent over and raped without lube without warranty.

http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...d.php?t=519941
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by newton

I hope you have ext. warranty. A 2003 CL600 will have reliability issues and you WILL be bent over and raped without lube without warranty.

Dammit...no warranty, I bought it from the original owner. I'm sure I'll wind up getting screwed when it has problem...but it's nothing an LS9 can't fix! LOL

Couple more dirty pics of the car added, and a couple of the engine (well, what you can see anyway).
Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

Originally Posted by newton

Dammit...no warranty, I bought it from the original owner. I'm sure I'll wind up getting screwed when it has problem...but it's nothing an LS9 can't fix! LOL

Couple more dirty pics of the car added, and a couple of the engine (well, what you can see anyway).

Not to discourage you but I thought I'd give you heads up on some common problems, and things to expect.

I worked as a Benz technician for almost 5yrs. The V12's don't have individual coil packs per cylinder, so once one cylinder quits firing... your buying the entire left or right side coil pack. Plus 2 spark plugs per cylinder makes plug changes expensive, although their suppose to be good for 100k miles. Your car has ABC (active body control) suspension.

Airmatic suspenion: has problems with the air pumps and relays. Also have problems with the struts. Mainly front struts.

ABC suspension: has problems with valve blocks sticking due to contaminants. Like metal shavings and dirt, ect...

Reguardless of suspension type: There are 2 different styles of lower control arm bushings. The early version tear and if not corrected (in sever cases) the control arm is allowed to move forward on the center section of the bushing allowing the outter aluminum casing of the bushing to rub the aluminum subframe. Eventually rubbing through the lower control arm mounting ear on the subframe.

The NEW version of these bushings once installed have a big aluminum washer that is pressed onto the center section of the bushing. So that once the bushing tears again the control arm can not move forward and rub the subframe.

Lower ball joints are a common thing on the bigger/heavier cars.

Another bushing that is common is the "thrust" arm or "caster" arm bushing. (what techs refer to them as anyway) Those can be checked by driving the vehicle at parking lot speed and quickly but lightly pumping the brake pedal.

Again I'm not trying to hate, just trying to give a fellow ls1tech member a helping hand. Car looks awesome and you shouldn't have any trouble out of it for a while. Good Luck!

-Chris

Quick Reply: My new toy...03 Merc CL600