NFL Draft 09!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
If McGee makes the Cowboys it will be because he beat out Brooks Bollinger, who is terrible. If that happens he'll most likely be on the practice squad since Jon Kitna is the backup to Romo and they won't keep three QB's on the roster. They could have picked a player that they had more of a need for with that fourth round pick and still have gotten McGee in the fifth, sixth or seventh round.

Jerry Jones is getting almost as bad as Al Davis, who is senile. JJ's ego won't let him hire a personnel man to run the draft or a strong minded coach that will run that team with fire and discipline. Any good owner hires the best player personnel and coaches and steps aside and lets them run the show, but unfortunately not JJ.
I do agree with a lot of what you said. But Jerry is NO WHERE NEAR as bad as Al Davis. The Cowboy's have had great drafts the last 3 years (with a few players that just suck i.e. Bobby Carpenter). Last year they picked Felix Jones over Mendenhal, picked Choice up in a late round, and got both Jenkins and Scandrick. They gave the Cowboy's a C this year for the draft and to tell you the truth, I could really care less. They got what they needed in Micheal Hamlin at Safety. This was a really weak draft, so not having a 1st rounder didn't bother me near as much.
Old 04-27-2009 | 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mmiller
I thought the James Casey pick was awesome. That guy has a TON of upside. They also improved the defense and special teams. I'd grade the Texans draft as a B. Not drafting a running back was disappointing.

IMO the Cowboys had a disappointing draft. I don't see any 2009 starters out of those draft picks. Giving up up a #1 draft choice for Roy Williams hurt. He's going to have to produce big-time to justify the price. However, he's better than any rookie WR they could have brought in, and now that T.O. is gone he's the man. They reached big-time taking Stephen McGee. They could have gotten him a lot later if they would have been patient. I'm not sure what the line of thinking is on him. IMO he'll never play QB in the NFL.
McGee was rated as a 4-5 round pick. He really impressed at both the East/West game and at the Combine. I know Kubiak thought pretty highly of him and so did Mike Martz, and both of those guys know a thing or two about good QB play. What makes you think he can't play in the NFL?

As far as Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel not being drafted I think everybody saw that coming. Harrell's arm strength has always been a huge question mark and none of the things Harrell was asked to do at Tech are used in the Pro's. His footwork from under center was pretty poor which is just setting you up for failure. Daniel also looked pretty weak during the East/West practices. I saw him almost trip over himself a few times while trying to drop back from under center.

The day after the draft is not the time to evaluate a draft. You have to wait a few years, but whatever, it's still fun to try to guess who did well and who didn't.
Old 04-28-2009 | 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ben R
The day after the draft is not the time to evaluate a draft. You have to wait a few years
Couldn't be more true, because I remember a few years ago when the Texans picked up Super Mario and people were flippin ****, couldn't believe we didn't get Bush or Young. But now a few years later we see who is still paying dividends.....and who isn't.
Old 04-28-2009 | 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Really! I guess a ghost was throwing the ball to Crabtree last season.

x2... size is an issue though..... I like graham!
Old 04-28-2009 | 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brother was drafted.

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/m...042609aaa.html
Old 04-28-2009 | 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Congrats to your brother!
Old 04-29-2009 | 08:58 AM
Texas Director

Good deal! Lets hope he can play in the League for several years.