here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default here we go again

figured i would try here before i start tearing the car apart. was headed out last nite to a car show. car was driving fine. out of noweheres the car died and check gauges light came on. after a lil bit of messing around i found a blown ignition fuse and got the car started after cranking on it a few times. so i head off. and the car dies a 1/4 mile down the road. would only crank thats it. got it home and went over wiring found a couple of bad connections and fixed them. car started right up. went to pull out the driveway. and the car dies again. would only crank for 20 minutes. found that it blew the ignition fuse again. replaced it cranked on it a few times and after a while it started up . now im trying to figure what this could be. seems to be intermittant. it did this 2 nights ago when i went to go drive the car. but went and started it the next day and it was like it never happened ran fine. dunno if this is a vats issue or what. btw this is my 93 z28 with a lsx motor in it.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Teching In

I would think you have wires touching somewhere.. I think you need to check the wires again.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

have already pulled harness and found no other touching wires and no chaffed wires. pulled fuel pump relay. it had some rust on it. but seems to work still. plugged everything in cranked car and it ran a lil while and started sputtering and the security light flashed and then it died
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

vats , My car has done that same thing twice....
Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
vats , My car has done that same thing twice....
hey whats up man? when you coming to a meet again.?
yea ive tried to rule vats out. as there were a few times a turned the key and the pump didnt prime like it should but the engine still cranked but no fire. a few others said when vats goes that the car will not even spin over the motor. car did this the other day when i went to pick it up. cranked and cranked till battery died. then the next day i took a coworker of mine to help. got in the car and it started like nothing ever happened. drove fine. till today when the motor just stopped running. however the cylinder and key are the original 93 pieces. . the car now starts up but it dies soon after i pull into the road. and takes about 20 mins before i can get it to start again.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
hey whats up man? when you coming to a meet again.?
yea ive tried to rule vats out. as there were a few times a turned the key and the pump didnt prime like it should but the engine still cranked but no fire. a few others said when vats goes that the car will not even spin over the motor. car did this the other day when i went to pick it up. cranked and cranked till battery died. then the next day i took a coworker of mine to help. got in the car and it started like nothing ever happened. drove fine. till today when the motor just stopped running. however the cylinder and key are the original 93 pieces. . the car now starts up but it dies soon after i pull into the road. and takes about 20 mins before i can get it to start again.

Who knows my brother had a starting issue, he went to the dealer bought a new ignition switch or cylinder for like 50 bucks and it fixed his problem, the 2 wires in the column I guess werent touching any more and he took it all apart to try to fix it and couldnt. Worth a try and isnt real exspensive
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Who knows my brother had a starting issue, he went to the dealer bought a new ignition switch or cylinder for like 50 bucks and it fixed his problem, the 2 wires in the column I guess werent touching any more and he took it all apart to try to fix it and couldnt. Worth a try and isnt real exspensive
exactly what i did ,new key new ign. and problem was solved.My car would turn over untill the batt. was dead or start and die immediatly ,took it to a gm shop where they told me it was the vats system not rec. my key chip and replaced ign. and keys ...problem fixed....
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

For a fuseto blow u have to over load it....so u HAVE to have a short somewhere.....my car kept blowing the ENG SEN fuse, i beleive, and i traced a every damn wire off that bitch...ended up being one of the wires that ran to the tranny, had to pull the tranny pan and sure enough there was a SMALL *** knick in one of the wires.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GT Griller
For a fuseto blow u have to over load it....so u HAVE to have a short somewhere.....my car kept blowing the ENG SEN fuse, i beleive, and i traced a every damn wire off that bitch...ended up being one of the wires that ran to the tranny, had to pull the tranny pan and sure enough there was a SMALL *** knick in one of the wires.
doing the wire chasing right now. and still dont see anything new. car ran for 10 mins drove down the street . pull into my driveway ran a lil more and died. checked the ignition fuse. and again it was popped. changed it car started right up. may try the vats thing tommorow. but doubt thatll be the cause of a blown fuse. pretty sure its one of the few probs.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:13 AM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

give me a call joe.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my did the same thing the o2 extension wire got melted on the header and kept blowing the ignition fuse.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it possible for the two wires that move everytime when you turn the ignition on and off for them to be touching and causing it to blow the fuse? The two wires touch the chip on your key when its in the ignition switch...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

i think the vats issue may be my problem. the fuel pump will not prime and the fuse hasnt blown. but the motor spins over with no hesitation. i even opened the the fuel pump relay to manually switch power. and even that wouldnt fire the pump. which tells me that the vats is bad and cutting the fuel portion out. ive given up on this issue for today. but will try the fix tommorow. i appreciate all your help fellas. and thanks a bunch.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell that POS to me.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Swing by the shop this week. My master wiring tech Greg knows the harnesses like the back of his hand. We can figure it out.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Swing by the shop this week. My master wiring tech Greg knows the harnesses like the back of his hand. We can figure it out.
Oh **** Mikey, "Radio Shack".
Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

had a similar issue, melted a o2 sensor connector on my header and kept popping the sensor fuse.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Launching!

if your VATs has gone out the only thing that it will stop is the starter circuit from being engaged the security light will flash, but if you take the relay out you can actually bypass the starter circuit you can actually start the car with a jumper wire thats what i had to do when the Vats went out i just wired a switch to the starter circuit and i have to turn the key to the on position and hit the switch and i've been driving ot like that for like a year...lolol... sounds to me like your fuel pump might be going if it's not priming and if the car starts runs and then dies it could be the fuel pump running for a while till it gets hot then it stops and wont spin till it cools down.. hope this helps
Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

how often do pcms go out? went and played with some wiring and whatnot. the car fired right up and ran like **** like it was on 6 cylinders and i cut it off. but it wanted to keep running after the ignition was shut off. went back checked some wiring and scanned it. and it wouldnt connect to the scan tool. kept getting error reading. any way to test the pcm to be sure its not dead before i spend cash on a new one?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
Oh **** Mikey, "Radio Shack".
I usually go with 'Tim the Toolman' because of his tool belt.

I don't think so Tim...