Charger SRT8 or new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both a fourth gen SS and a Charger SRT8, the SRT is in every way equally fast to my Camaro and more then a match for the new 2010 SS. (side note; that recent Car & Driver comparison as well as the one from Motor Trend was will the R/T model not the SRT8)

My personal best times in the Charger is 4.96 0-60 and 12.87 1/4 mile, bone stock. Plus (oddly enough) the Charger (at least my 07 model) is 75lbs lighter then the challenger.

I will admit that the new Camaro has a lot of that "stare factor" but the Charger comes in come great color options and not a day goes by that my Plum Crazy Charger dosen't get at least one complement.

Yes its a four door but that also means its more practical and it really does have some of the best seats available in any car.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Yea im off to BU for the person who asked. i have a HUGE family so i got a whole crap load of money from graduation gifts ( i seriously made bank ) so im looking at getting a new/used Charger with low miles. The C6 isn't in the picture ( dad hates corvettes because he got smoked by a zr1 in his viper haha) and since i got a really good scholarship to Baylor, my parents are willing to pay for the rest of the car

another problem is i just cant keep the trans am, and dont want to put an extra 2-2.5 grand into fixing it. someone hit me in the front so thats gunna cost around 1000 to fix. i need new tires so another 500 and my brake lights are all screwed up. They wont turn on when i press the breaks but they will stay on when i have my lights on. i checked all the fuses and it has to do with the wiring. so thats gonna cost almost another grand to fix. i rather put that all towards a new car.

the reason i like the charger a lot is because my dad gets a huge discount because he bought a viper. So the a new charger and the new camaro would both come out to the same price. Mid 30s

And ill never own a mustang......... or a hybrid haha and idk about the jeep. i just dont like how it looks for some reason
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

You are young and need to go green or you want fit in at school. You need to buy my 2005 honda HX civic it gets 40 mpg average with a 350 lb driver. That way I can go buy a new challenger for my self. The new Camaro is ugly and besides I can't fit in one or a new vet for that matter. Or you could buy my buddies very low miles 2002 viper and make your daddy proud. My Buddy has the hots for a 32 or 34 full fendered ford roadster.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rockytopper
You are young and need to go green or you want fit in at school.
No

Originally Posted by rockytopper
You need to buy my 2005 honda HX civic it gets 40 mpg average with a 350 lb driver
No
Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Strider74
but the Charger comes in come great color options and not a day goes by that my Plum Crazy Charger dosen't get at least one complement.
Thats one thing i really like. i love the plum color and i love the blue super bee color. i found this one on ebay and i just wish it was closer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...1%7C240%3A1318

it would be sitting in my driveway if it wasnt so far away
Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

dude, I'm tellin you guys...I have driven the new camaro.....it is miles better in driving quality....it feels like a european car. if your seriously passing on it just because of the looks, you would regret it. I'm talking beyond horsepower, other than the bit of low visibility, everything I looked for was amazing. you do not feel like your driving around a chevy.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

First of all its badass you saved that much money by 18 years old. Good job. Personally I might be biased, but I would get a "decent" car and hang on to some cash. If you were going to go for broke I would be all over a G8 instead of either of the cars you listed.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

if you need the car for daily long trip forger about camaro and charger and Buy Challenger SRT8 Which is very smooth and drive like sedan car and looks classic sport.
it not as fast as camaro ss is but its good choice
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by texasthrottle
dude, I'm tellin you guys...I have driven the new camaro.....it is miles better in driving quality....it feels like a european car. if your seriously passing on it just because of the looks, you would regret it. I'm talking beyond horsepower, other than the bit of low visibility, everything I looked for was amazing. you do not feel like your driving around a chevy.
yea i'd be all over the camaro if i could just find one

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
First of all its badass you saved that much money by 18 years old. Good job. Personally I might be biased, but I would get a "decent" car and hang on to some cash. If you were going to go for broke I would be all over a G8 instead of either of the cars you listed.
thx yea it was hard. all the other kids were going out partying and spending there cash on booze and other crap like that and i was working so yea im going broke after i buy one haha. ive been saving up so i could have a nice car for college. my bro did the same thing and bought a new mustang GT and procharged it. i figure if im gunna be traveling from SA to Waco a lot i might as well do it in style and in something i like and look good in.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAm Bandit
if you need the car for daily long trip forger about camaro and charger and Buy Challenger SRT8 Which is very smooth and drive like sedan car and looks classic sport.
it not as fast as camaro ss is but its good choice
Charger > Challenger for me.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have worked a side job for a major rental company for years. To pay for the TA of course. Anyway trust me when I say the charger will be your worst nightmare! They have so many issues with just about everything. About 1 in 3 is out for some sort of repair at any given time. Not trying to sound like a charger hater or whatever you want to think, I always liked them until we got some in the local fleet. My TA has had 120K hard driven miles on her and to this day the only thing I have done is a clutch. One of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. The only one better was my 3800 firebird that went 240k with only a water pump and clutch. Still see it around. Sold it. Never died once on me.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

I'm with imlooking ... I'd take a gc srt over a charger anyday (or tbss of course!)... I don't think the chargers are pretty and I sold one to my cousin ('08) ... I love the challenger exterior but agree the interior leaves some room for improvement ... the 5th gens are just amazing cars ... even the 3.6L cars have some nuts and are fun to drive

SS all the way
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

my mom wanted to look at them so i took her today. i had the dumbest salesman ive ever met. he pissed me off. we get out of the car and ofcourse within 1 minute he is there complementing my mom on her car ( CTS-V ) and so i ask him where the SRT8 chargers are and he tells me they only have one. he takes me around the whole dealership and cant find the car. im about to leave when he comes and tells me he found it. he starts telling me about the car and tells me the that the SRT8s came out in 2008. my jaw dropped, this guys job is to sell cars and he dosen't know **** about what he is talking about. Then he tells my mom it might be to powerful for me and that maybe i should look at the R/T. I was pissed and so was my mom. the manager was standing at the door on the way out and asked if we found everything ok. My MOM told him that the salesman was an idiot and lost them a sale
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Norman Frede Chevrolet in Bay Area had some nice looking SS's on the lot when i went... Talk to Liem Nguyen if you go up there...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me there is no comparison at all. and its not even because i own a camaro. the Camaro is a superior car all the way across the board. this is a no brainer. better gas mileage, faster, looks better, lighter, less expensive, more aftermarket support, its not a dodge, better tuning out there. everything is better about the car.

to me the charger isnt even a sports car, its just another huge *** sedan with a v8
Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM

I was at a Chevy dealer on Sunday... The guys said the Camaro is on backorder for a long time. Looks sweet but claustrophobic on the inside.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I still feel that the Charger is a better choice heading into college, think about all of the times you will want to take some friends with you, move into a new appartment, go on a road trip, or "break in" the back seat.

I love the Camaro but the Charger is not a big a$$ sedan. Yes it's 10" longer and 3" inches taller but its 1" narrower and it only weighs 293lbs more then the new Camaro. And you get a lot of versatility for no real sacrifice in performance. It will still rip off 5-6 second 0-60 times all day long with 4 fat guys in it (guys like me @ 240-250lbs each)

I love current Camaro, and I plan to get one of the new ones sometime soon but as my second car. If I could only have one car it would be the Charger. Practical, powerful and still 21 mpg on average makes it a win in my book.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like you will be stuck getting the Charger SRT8...You will probably not find a new Camaro in the next for weeks...But if you do get it...
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're 18! The SRT8 is your mom and dad's car. Think of how much tail you'll be pulling in the new Camaro. It's not even close. If your Dad has not already given you this piece of advice, then he must just be trying to keep you from Knocking some chick up. Seriously!!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

get in a Jeep Cherokee STR8 and launch it.

nice to be able to go wide open throttle in a 4300lb SUV and still pull a 1.8 60'.

the interior is pretty awesome, but the seats are what makes these SRT8's so attractive.