The ABS INOP, BRAKE, and TCS OFF lights go on and off randomly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The ABS INOP, BRAKE, and TCS OFF lights go on and off randomly.

Where exactly is that stupid ABS sensor on the axle? Should I just replace it?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Where exactly is that stupid ABS sensor on the axle? Should I just replace it?
It depends, if you have a TCS your sensors are right behind the wheel hubs. I dont think that would make your light come on and off. But IDK, it might be bad sensors.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
It depends, if you have a TCS your sensors are right behind the wheel hubs. I dont think that would make your light come on and off. But IDK, it might be bad sensors.
Yes. I have TCS. Hmm.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have one at each wheel. the fronts are part of the wheel bearing assembly.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

I would have that problem occasionally when I was running slicks and runners on the highway. I think it had something to so with the variation in tire sizes because that was the only time it would happen.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Launching!

I had the abs / tcs lights come on if i was driving on the highway for a while, never around town tho. Figured it was just because of the different tire sizes im running. Now the brake light comes on as well...thats new to me, just started yesterday.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Mine did that for a while, then I put the 9" in so the ABS and ASR are always on now, but the brake flashes on here and there. It doesn't hurt anything, i've been running with that for about a year now, and aside from being annoying it doesn't effect anything negatively to my knowledge.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know how many times I have posted this but, check the brake fuse inside the engine bay. I drove around with all 3 lights on for about a year, then one day decided to check the cheap 35 cent fuse. (Obviously it wasy bad). Problem solved, christmas tree lights put up for the year.

BTW, our cars are real **** boxes. Lights in the dash, leaky t tops, squeaky rears, headlight motors, cracked door panels, etc etc etc.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
I dont know how many times I have posted this but, check the brake fuse inside the engine bay. I drove around with all 3 lights on for about a year, then one day decided to check the cheap 35 cent fuse. (Obviously it wasy bad). Problem solved, christmas tree lights put up for the year.

BTW, our cars are real **** boxes. Lights in the dash, leaky t tops, squeaky rears, headlight motors, cracked door panels, etc etc etc.
Exactly which fuse was it? I saw several related to ABS.

My t-tops don't leak, fortunately. Headlight motors still work. The car is squeaky, though. lol.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Exactly which fuse was it? I saw several related to ABS.

My t-tops don't leak, fortunately. Headlight motors still work. The car is squeaky, though. lol.
Its been about 2 years since I changed it out, but just look in the manual and look for fuses related to the brakes. Then check those and see if any are bad. If im not mistaken, its going to be one of the larger fuses, not the smaller ones. But I am 100% sure that its the fuse panel inside the engine bay, and not the one by the drivers side door.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problems and have read about people pulling fuses, replacing gauge clusters, replacing wheel speed sensors, cleaning wheel speed sensors and have not had any success.

I believe it has something to do with the EBCM on the abs block. GM charges close to $1,200 to replace the module/pump motor/unit. However I have found a place that rebuilds just the EBCM that I am going to try out this fall for around $160.

This problem annoys the hell out of me! It almost seems temperature related too...on a 95 degree or hotter day it comes on more often. In cool fall/winter months I almost never see it.

PM me for the info of the place if your interested as I do not believe they are a sponsor here.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pir7tr
This problem annoys the hell out of me! It almost seems temperature related too...on a 95 degree or hotter day it comes on more often. In cool fall/winter months I almost never see it.
I have noticed this as well, driving from clear lake to galveston during the winter the lights usually never came on. Now i get about 5 exits down the highway and the dash lights up with ****.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes a ABS light will come on because your third brake light (one in the spoiler) is out and just needs to be replaced.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White94Bird
Sometimes a ABS light will come on because your third brake light (one in the spoiler) is out and just needs to be replaced.
Yeah. I forgot about that. I'm pretty sure that's still good.

The lights didn't come in this morning going to work. Oddly enough, I didn't notice them coming on on the way home from work.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

On one of my prev z28s. The ABS INOP and BRAKE light would come on. I'd add some brake fluid and they would stay off. Maybe it was just a coincidince, who knows.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Teching In

This happened on my 98 SS. I replaced the abs module/block under the hood and the lights turned off. You might want to swap your abs module with a buddys to see if it solves the problem. I don't know if it will make a difference, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure it's out of a 98 also.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Im also having the same problem Shackleford & its getting to me