I wrecked my race car at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought this was common knowledge but i guess not, If you know youre about to get into an accident you yank the belt to lock it in place then lean on it through the crash. it will keep your body from decelerating into the belt and braking your ribs, thats the idea anyway. also a good idea to yank it tight, then jerk the other way to lock it. saved me a lot of pain when i totaled my suburban. .02
Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
i thought this was common knowledge but i guess not, If you know youre about to get into an accident you yank the belt to lock it in place then lean on it through the crash. it will keep your body from decelerating into the belt and braking your ribs, thats the idea anyway. also a good idea to yank it tight, then jerk the other way to lock it. saved me a lot of pain when i totaled my suburban. .02
That was my plan,tried to lock it and it wouldnt lock so i bailed. Some people on here dont want to do anything but laugh at people and criticize then when they were not even there and then ask question after question about how come you did this. They dont want to do anything but talk ****.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
Yeah normally as I'm about to get in a wreck that could kill me, I give the ole seat belt a few tugs each way, then get back to trying to figure out how to stop the damn vehicle. First things first though huh?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by somewhatstock
Lol, I used 70 as an example to show how tough it is to open against the wind. You say you opened the door at 120-130, killed the n20 and fuel, jumped out, and some paranormal force held the brakes down for 788 feet.

RIIIIGHT
Perfect example of what happens when you talk and not read. Let me break it down for you. When i crossed the eight i slammed on my brakes for 788ft,that didnt work so i let go of the brakes and turned the fuel pump and nitrous off.Then i grabbed my seat belt to lock it and make sure it worked,It didnt,so then i opened my door at about 120-130 and jumped.By the way i was not in a new car,I was in a 88 coupe that had no door panels,no window motors or anything to make it fast.But i dont think i have to explain every little detail. Well i guess i do b/c some people dont believe me
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cvshaft
Haha, I wasn't talking crap, but I'm at Redline racing every week
if your at redline every week than you would have been there. Like i said i dont care if you believe me or not. But if you dont believe me ask the people that work there.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

WAIT!, Did you beat the bike or not?!?!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastvet
WAIT!, Did you beat the bike or not?!?!
hell yea,by friends that were there said i ran a 7.20 and the bike bike a 7.50
Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Lucky the bike didnt run your *** over for beating him.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

damn, I couldnt imagine jumping out of the car, thats crazy!

glad to hear youre ok
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds like a Darwin Award candidate that didn't get killed. Glad you are OK but that is a series of dumb mistakes topped off by jumping out of a speeding car. What have we learned? Use the safety equipment required by the NHRA and make sure you check your car before you race.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Teching In

I bracket race on Friday nights.

Not much into just running fun and grudge every weekend.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by twelver12

makes me wonder how the superbike guys go down at high speeds and rarely get injured
No need to wonder, it's not rocket science at all:
Armored leathers
Quality helmet
Sturdy, proper gloves and boots
+
tracks that are designed to slow things down gradually when possible.

It's all about the gear in racing, esp. bikes. The proper gear almost always makes the difference between walking home and being carried, or between going home and not at all.

This guy was supremely fortunate, and I'm glad to hear it. You need to keep the car in good safe running condition (i.e. no ignition problems) with proper safety equipment, not just go fast goodies.

I have my doubts that you were still doing 120-130, but it's certainly possible. There was a whole series of silly mistakes and lack of preparation. Regardless, you need to thank the good Lord that you're here, you might have been a contender for a Darwin award on this one.

And +1 for LOL at the for sale sign!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I applaud you sir for jumping out. I crashed in a friends car on the freeway going 150+ mph..After the accident there were alot of "what ifs", but it never comes to you in that moment. You did the right thing. I stayed in the car and the force of the seatbelt broke 3 ribs, fractured my knee cap, had pierced metals in my legs, had bruised lungs, and ruptured a valve in myheart. Had to have open heart surgery to remove lodged tissue that was clogging one of my main arteries. It was meant for you to jump out, because at those speeds and especially in the driver seat you could have definately died. Great story to tell though. Have fun on your next build.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I must know, why didnt you have a master ignition kill switch? I do.

Never mind, there are allot of things you didnt do/have.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Lucky the bike didnt run your *** over for beating him.
yea, he probably would have if i wasnt in the grass. My friends said thats the first thing i asked. lol
Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I must know, why didnt you have a master ignition kill switch? I do.

Never mind, there are allot of things you didnt do/have.
I should have. I will on this next car for sure. Thats probably the cheapest and safest thing you can get for a car.

Last edited by 2nasty; 06-30-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad you are ok.

A few things. I've had my throttle stick wide open. So, I know how stressful that can be.

You probably didn't think about it, but why didn't you just take the car out of gear? Then you can stop.... You sat there and tried to use your brakes to fight a car in gear. If you had just knocked the car out of gear you'd have had plenty of time to stop....

As for turning the key. That really would have been your best option. I don't know how messed up your key was, but in most cars you can turn the key off without locking the steeering. At least if it was locked and going straight you at least cut power. you might skim down the railing, but you'd at least scrub some speed.

You are lucky to be alive, and you were out racing with no working seatbelt, and no helmet. There is a reason they have rules about safety equipment... anyway, I'm sorry you had an accident, I'm glad you are ok, but there were some simple things you could have done and not done a "Dukes of Hazzard" into the woods with your car...
Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You didnt post the thread to alert people of the importance of safety. You posted it to talk about jumping out of a car at 120 mph and how cool it was that you are alive. You didnt say one single word about a mistake it was that the car was not safe to drive until the 6th page when you started getting bashed for being a idiot.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Its common sence that having a rollcage in a 10 second car isnt safe.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam88Gta1
You didnt post the thread to alert people of the importance of safety. You posted it to talk about jumping out of a car at 120 mph and how cool it was that you are alive. You didnt say one single word about a mistake it was that the car was not safe to drive until the 6th page when you started getting bashed for being a idiot.
Why even post in my thread?Just to talk ****.I dont post in your threads to talk ****,about how you cant tune a car worth ****.I didnt say anything about how cool it was to jump, i did say it saved my life.But if thats being cool to you than ok.

Quick Reply: I wrecked my race car at the track