jury duty tommorrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to get out of it? It's interesting and it's your civic duty to participate in our justice system. If you can't do something as simple as participate in jury duty then you can't complain if the justice system ever lets you down because you're not helping be a solution to the problem.

I got chosen for a jury a few years back and it was a great experience. If it wasn't for an idiot who couldn't understand the judge's simple instructions, the jury wouldn't have gotten thrown out. By the way, he got a contempt of court charge and lead out in handcuffs for violating the judges very specific and easy to follow orders.

For the record, if you wear something inappropriate the judge can and will either make you turn it inside out or possibly wear a jail shirt that the inmates wear. If you yell out anything inappropriate you can be charged with disorderly conduct, contempt of court, or both. Trying any tricks can lead to the judge forcing you to stay throughout the process.

If you really want out of it and don't have an automatic dis-qualifier the fastest way out of it is to just go and get eliminated by the sheer number of other people.

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Not respond... Act like you never recieved anything, unless you were served by a real person and signed for it.. The burden of proof lies on whether you recieved a public notice in the standard mail system...That's hard to prove..

I can't stand jury duty.. I get the notice in the mail and everytime nothing happens.. I guess they figure maybe you don't recieve the mail, but they don't come after you..

That's what I do anyways in California and it's worked for over 20 years.
Don't try this either. The state tracks them and gets confirmation from the U.S. Postal Service. So they have proof that the card got to you. And it is your responsibility to update your address so you can't claim you moved, it isn't a defense.

Failing to appear for jury duty can land you with a warrant. No one will ever come looking for you for a jury duty FTA, but they have a tendency to pop up when stopped for traffic. I'm not willing to have my car towed and arrested for a jury duty warrant so I just go and get it over with.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

The best way to get out of it is to sound intelligent when the judge and attorneys are asking questions to the jury pool. When they outline the basics of the case, just say without at least 3 witnesses you will never enter a vote of guilty.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why try to get out of it? How better to instill anarchy than by getting selected and letting the criminals go free?!?!?!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

well, drie for 40 minutes to get there. i showed up at 800 for an 815 apt.

lazy, late, improperly dressed straglers kept the judge from starting until 9.

First group gets called about 60 ppl, great here goes my chance at elimination due to higher numbers in the group.

I got called in the second group, just over 20 of us....boo on those odds, dont have to report until 130 WTF....

drive 40 minutes home, because i have yet to find anything worth hanging out for in angleton.

now im sitting waiting to go back for the next round of dog and pony show

what a joke this **** is.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Just don't go.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
LS7 Member

I went a couple weeks back. Our pool was 80 people and I was sitting number 78 . The last person chosen was #61. The lucky order was nice, but it still took forever since it was a murder trial and half of the jurors were idiots. Anyone who said "I can't follow the law in this instance" to anything after hearing the indictment were marked off the list. Those who also claimed they had moral or religious issues with judging others were taken off.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by Robert@G-Force
Just don't go.
Yep, that's what I did 4 times now...Never heard anything, no warrants, no nothing..

I think the authorities have better things to do then to go after Jury duty no shows... Especially if your located in a big city..