$280 reasonable for a four wheel alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker

Also I would not mind attempting this, by buying my own equipment like you have. Other than string, turn plates, and smart caster/camber gauge, is there anything else you need? And how do you setup the string?
4 jack stands meticulously placed in the same point of reference to the car on a level surface without any breeze. It sucks doing it in 100* heat ...

The points of reference I use are the rear bolt head attaching the K-Member to the front sub frame and the bolt head of the rear LCA attached to the car.

I also have a specialty tool that adjusts camber and caster in and out using a threaded collar instead of a pry bar.

I also place 200lbs in the driver's seat.

FWIW ... it really does suck when you trip over the string in mid alignment ...
Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NTB in Flower Mound on 407 Road has always done mine for less than $100.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Pay attention, for the second explicit repeat ... he's getting a 4 WHEEL alignment. That price you mention is for two. You're in plentiful company, half the posters in this thread aren't paying attention to this either.

OP - you need to decide if you want a perfect alignment or just sufficient.

If you want perfect, frame referenced - $280 is very fair. What's their warranty?

For sufficient, I personally would be hard pressed to pay more than $150-200 for 4 wheels, and it best have a multi-year warranty for that price. I'd be STUNNED if you found even a decent, legit, 4 wheel alignment for $80.

This is all assuming they have competent techs. I'll pay more for someone who knows what they hell they are doing, especially if you have adjustable components.

You should have done a bit more research, perhaps, but it's not too late. Just pay attention to front tire wear. Don't cheap out here, a good alignment does WONDERS for the way the car drives. Good luck!!

hey *******, it was a 4wheel alignment.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beedo
Firestone does them for 150.00....LIFETIME ALIGNMENT! I just hope than can do a lowered car
Have fun taking the car back, every one I know who has gotten one, myself include they always find some thing to why they won't do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

firestone did okay with my car. first time they left a bolt loose but i didnt catch it till 6 months later ha. Went to a different one bought a couple tires and complained about the loose bolt and they gave me a free alignment. drives good with no tire wear now
Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmilz28
OP - you need to decide if you want a perfect alignment or just sufficient.

If you want perfect, frame referenced - $280 is very fair. What's their warranty?

For sufficient, I personally would be hard pressed to pay more than $150-200 for 4 wheels, and it best have a multi-year warranty for that price. I'd be STUNNED if you found even a decent, legit, 4 wheel alignment for $80.

This is all assuming they have competent techs. I'll pay more for someone who knows what they hell they are doing, especially if you have adjustable components.

You should have done a bit more research, perhaps, but it's not too late. Just pay attention to front tire wear. Don't cheap out here, a good alignment does WONDERS for the way the car drives. Good luck!!
The guys at Dallas Frame and Alignment seem to know their stuff. I did not even have a chance to ask them their warranty policy, but I had planned to ask them. My alignment still needs work, but the front is not that bad. Yet I am not sure what research I should have done? I searched here and the suspension sections, and I have personally had my fair share of shitty alignments by dealerships, NTB, and other wheels and tires shops.

I might go back, but I need to save up some money and stay out of the for sale section.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
FWIW ... it really does suck when you trip over the string in mid alignment ...
Thanks for the reply. Would you be willing to do a write-up?
Or do my alignment for some cash?

Originally Posted by irbs
NTB in Flower Mound on 407 Road has always done mine for less than $100.
**** NTB! 1) Broken exhaust clamp. 2) Did not tighten the bolts in the front and they gave way, while attempting to drive out of the bay. 3) Alignment always sucks afterwards
NEVER EVER ******* AGAIN

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Have fun taking the car back, every one I know who has gotten one, myself include they always find some thing to why they won't do it.
Thanks for the heads up about Firestone. I always figured they were just another NTB type place.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

**** NTB! 1) Broken exhaust clamp. 2) Did not tighten the bolts in the front and they gave way, while attempting to drive out of the bay. 3) Alignment always sucks afterwards
NEVER EVER ******* AGAIN
Well that is your experience with a particular NTB. I am friends with all of the guys at the NTB i go to and its great. They always do a good job with aligning lowered cars. Just because one sucks doesnt mean they all suck. The member 94trans on here actually works at the NTB i go to. He is a good friend and makes sure he treats every car like his own. I can understand your frustration but dont label all of them as being horrible.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Launching!

No... I worked at a couple NTB locations. Half the time they don't even like to do a full alignment. I've seen on many occations where one mechanic will hold a sensor in position to make it "green."

I work at an independent BMW shop, where we have our own alignment machine. All the newer BMWs have fully adjustable suspension in the front and rear. (except caster, which would mean something is fucked up bad) We charge about $180.

My advice is to find an independent shop where the techs don't get paid by the job. Tell the owner/service writer that you have adjustable suspension in the rear and they should be willing to do it for a fair price.

If you want to take it farther, you can offer a $20 tip to the guy that will do the alignment and ask him to take his time on your car.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Would you be willing to do a write-up?
Or do my alignment for some cash?
Sorry ... no time to do a write up. It's quite complicated.

And I couldn't do it for $300.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by irbs
Well that is your experience with a particular NTB. I am friends with all of the guys at the NTB i go to and its great. They always do a good job with aligning lowered cars. Just because one sucks doesnt mean they all suck. The member 94trans on here actually works at the NTB i go to. He is a good friend and makes sure he treats every car like his own. I can understand your frustration but dont label all of them as being horrible.
This was not just one NTB. The issues from points 1 and 2 happen at different locations. I should have learned after the first one.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
No... I worked at a couple NTB locations. Half the time they don't even like to do a full alignment. I've seen on many occations where one mechanic will hold a sensor in position to make it "green."

I work at an independent BMW shop, where we have our own alignment machine. All the newer BMWs have fully adjustable suspension in the front and rear. (except caster, which would mean something is fucked up bad) We charge about $180.

My advice is to find an independent shop where the techs don't get paid by the job. Tell the owner/service writer that you have adjustable suspension in the rear and they should be willing to do it for a fair price.

If you want to take it farther, you can offer a $20 tip to the guy that will do the alignment and ask him to take his time on your car.
Thats my issue though. I do not have a clue where to go. And I really expected something closer to $180, when they hit me with the figure $280.

Does your shop only work on BMWs?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Sorry ... no time to do a write up. It's quite complicated.

And I couldn't do it for $300.
Thanks. I thought it might be worth asking.

Quick Reply: $280 reasonable for a four wheel alignment?