My car died, now wont start... Fuel pressure is showing zero... Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car died, now wont start... Fuel pressure is showing zero... Fuel pump?

Well as some of you know... I got my fuel pump/filter/pressure regulator changed a few wks ago, and have been experiencing issues ever since.

My fuel pressure lowers under acceration, and sometimes feels sluggish still...
(I took it back to the shop, they said the car had no problems)
About 30 min ago, A buddy and I was driving at about 35mph, I lost all acceleration, my RPMs began dropping. I slowed down, and the car died. It will now not start. My fuel pressure gauge in my gauge pod is reading zero PSI... Sound like I got a bad fuel pump? What kind of problems would I experience with a bad Fuel sending unit? Unfortunately all that we really have is some basic tools, so we can check a whole lot with out taking it back to the shop. Im going to call them tomorrow, but it'll be about a 35mile flatbed tow
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a fuel pump to me
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Im gonna go with fuel pump like I told you before, so I guess there goes my carpool to work tomorrow...great jk, I think since they just replaced the fuel pump that they should tow it for free if thats the case (which I think it is) .
Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If they replaced all three its GOTTA be one of them... that or an electrical connector to the pump wasn't clipped right. Either way, seems like any loss should be on them. Good luck...
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Speaking from experience I can assure you that it's your fuel pump or related wiring. I've never had anything happen as bad as what happened to you and it not be the fuel pump. Unless you have a heck of a large chunk of debris clogging your brand new fuel filter, it's the pump.

When you turn the ignition to "on", before you turn it to "start", are you able to hear your fuel pump? When the key kicks on you should hear a distinct "whirring" or whining sound coming from the rear of the car. It should be loud enough to hear inside if you don't have the radio on and it should be quite noticeable standing near the rear of the car. No whine, no fuel pump.

Now if it is whining and sounds like it's working then check to see if the fuel is making it past the fuel pressure regulator and into the Schroeder (spelling?) valve. All you have to do to test that is turn the key on, turn it off, and then press the valve. If fuel comes out (which it shouldn't), then you've got fuel pressure and your pump works. If not, then the fuel isn't making it past the regulator for some reason.

99% chance it's your fuel pump.

I'm curious who you had do the install? Was it a performance shop? Or at least a reputable general mechanics shop? Or was it a hole in the wall? If you don't want to say, I understand.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

damn walbro's.........
Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive never dealt with aftermarket pumps for efi but ive never heard of a pump going out while driving. ever. They always seem to work, then you kill the car, and wont start up again. its definately something with your fuel system im thinkin faulty wiring, maybe a loose connection finally came apart completely? or you just got a bad pump out of the box and it just decided its time had come.

They should pay for all expenses related to this. tow included. ESPECIALLY since you went back once already to tell them there was a problem.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

When they replaced your fuel pump, did they use fuel line specific to a in-tank usage?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally think you got shitty service from day one. Like i stated in your other thread i think something was incorrect with the install or a faulty pump out of the box.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh, have it towed back to the shop on their dime and make them fix it. . .
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Goshhh wonder what shop that was...? Resolution?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
I personally think you got shitty service from day one.
Care to elaborate?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I got it towed out there... Im having to pay half of the tow though which was $130 total.

LS1nterceptor... Yes it was a Performance shop. Im sure a few of you know who it is, but I'll prob wait until after I find out what the problem is, to post up.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

understandably, with the volume of work they do, there are occasional problems, but I suspect they'll take care of it.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I got it towed out there... Im having to pay half of the tow though which was $130 total.

LS1nterceptor... Yes it was a Performance shop. Im sure a few of you know who it is, but I'll prob wait until after I find out what the problem is, to post up.
**** paying half that towing bill. I don't care if its the best LSx performance shop in the country or the corner Mexican shop, if they screwed up the install, THEY PAY THE TOW. End of discussion.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2Tightwads
Care to elaborate?
Don't know the guy just going off of what he posted previously. He originally had a problem and the symptoms his car possessed pointed toward the fuel filter or pump. Long story short he had more problems once the work was complete that he previously did not have. One small and stupid thing was the filler neck was not properly installed. Yes this is small and easily taken care of but take pride in your work and do everything correct. If they cant take care of the small simple items it makes you wonder about the bigger ones. I am not bashing just making a statement.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Did u hit your head on the sterring wheel? It would have started... or at least it worked for Marty in "Back to the Future"...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I just got my car back... The "salesman", began texting me after I spoke with him. And he said it was the "wiring". I drove back down to San Antonio to pick it up about 2 hrs ago. Unfortunately, I didnt have the time to ask questions about the "wiring" problem, my friend took me down in my girls car, and I had to get back. Either way, I still notice the lowering fuel pressure while accelerating. I dont know what the deal is... I've been taken my cars to this shop for about 7-8 yrs and they've always been cool with me up until this last issue... I personally dont think I should have even paid the $65, but I've already paid it... What performance shops do you take your cars to in the ATX/SA area? Since the fuel pump install, I had to take my car back 3-4 times
Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was the fuel pump replaced ? Could it be clogged ?
Old 07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Teching In

sorry to hear about the pump issue i have seen bad installs on the pressure line that causes that same issue. if you need work done i still do side work as well...

Quick Reply: My car died, now wont start... Fuel pressure is showing zero... Fuel pump?