New Tint Law in Texas Fine is $1,000 !

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you don't have a sticker on illegal tint how are you they gonna catch the installer. Every time I've had illegal tint done I pay cash and he does the work with the door down. So basically the law does nothing because how you gonna catch the installers.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

can you post some links to this info OP?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

The guy that did limo on my WS6 had said that DPS had been keeping an eye on him because he's the only guy around here that'll do limo or illegal tint on the drivers/passenger side windows and go below the AS1 line on the windshiled...needless to say it cost me an extra $50 for the tint..and cash only, no reciept. I believe that law would only apply to the installers caught installing illegal tint, once you leave the shop it's your word against theirs..which is why they won't give you a reciept usually for going darker than legal.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the legal limit in TX? 25%?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Ha, hell ya the guy that puts the tint on would get the ticket(But I would also get a ticket for having illegal tint on my car, just not a $1000 ticket). Im my opinion, the law was created to prevent tint installers from putting on illegal window tint. For instance, would a guy that does inspection not get a ticket for passing an illegal car?? Yup, he sure would.
Now you really dont know what you are talking about. How can someone prove that the tint was on a car when the inspection was performed? There are ways around everything. I am sure the little sticker that everyone is talking about is the one that is put on most cars now. The one that says the brand of tint and the % of light transmission.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Now you really dont know what you are talking about. How can someone prove that the tint was on a car when the inspection was performed? There are ways around everything. I am sure the little sticker that everyone is talking about is the one that is put on most cars now. The one that says the brand of tint and the % of light transmission.
When I say that the inspection guy can get fined for passing an illegal car, I didnt mean to say only bc of the tint. Just in general, even though it is MY car, an inspection guy can get in trouble for passing me. Just like a tint guy, can get in trouble for putting on limo tint, which is why they don't warranty illegal tint.

IMO, they're trying to get tint companies to be worried about putting on illegal tint. Just like some inspection companies are worried to pass illegal cars which is why they ask for extra $$ for the risk.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

I know the tint and inspection rules. I am a state inspector!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
01z
TECH Regular

im sure this will be enforced at the officers discretion, most of the time they pull you over for little crap like that is cuz they think they can get you for something bigger. same as loud exhuast and no front plate.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know the tint and inspection rules. I am a state inspector!
good for you..now quit being such a ******* *****. he's giving his opinion..
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Launching!

When you go in for inspection just roll your windows down and pull the fuse.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01z
im sure this will be enforced at the officers discretion, most of the time they pull you over for little crap like that is cuz they think they can get you for something bigger. same as loud exhuast and no front plate.
At the police dept. we used to call that fishing
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

just last week i saw 8 state trooper personal vehicles at there facility and they all have 5% tint. What about all the under cover vehicles?so much for leading by example. Texas laws blow.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kmgsix08
good for you..now quit being such a ******* *****. he's giving his opinion..
What are you and him, lovers? His opinion is worthless. Read some of his threads, he doesnt really know what he is talking about when it comes to most things. Most people on this board will agree. I am done with this thread. Peace.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, guys, I emailed my state rep about this. Here's part of the response:

Provisions of the Transportation Code relating to restrictions on windows require that at least 25 percent of light pass through a windshield. The total percentage includes the light transmission of the original window and any changes due to tinting. Law enforcement will give a person a citation of a Class C misdemeanor offense if light transmission through the person's vehicle windows is less than 25 percent. By Department of Public Safety rule, however, a vehicle is authorized to pass a state vehicle inspection with 20 percent light transmission. Therefore, a discrepancy exists in the law between what level of tint is an offense subject to law enforcement citation and what level of tint will not pass a state vehicle inspection. Window tint that is too dark is a detriment to public safety if law enforcement officers cannot see into a vehicle. Automobile windows that have been tinted are required to be labeled. The labels, however, are not required to disclose whether the tint meets currently existing statutory standards for safety.

C.S.S.B. 589 requires that a vehicle equipment safety compliance label be placed on a windshield, side, or rear window stating that the light transmission is consistent with the appropriate provisions of the Transportation Code. The bill provides that a person in the business of placing or attaching transparent material that alters the color or reduces the light transmission to a windshield, side, or rear window of a motor vehicle commits a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 if the person places or attaches such material on the windshield or window and does not install the required label.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

What are you and him, lovers? His opinion is worthless. Read some of his threads, he doesnt really know what he is talking about when it comes to most things. Most people on this board will agree. I am done with this thread. Peace.
Mmmm... Looks like i was right.

C.S.S.B. 589 requires that a vehicle equipment safety compliance label be placed on a windshield, side, or rear window stating that the light transmission is consistent with the appropriate provisions of the Transportation Code. The bill provides that a person in the business of placing or attaching transparent material that alters the color or reduces the light transmission to a windshield, side, or rear window of a motor vehicle commits a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 if the person places or attaches such material on the windshield or window and does not install the required label.
Also, you totally misunderstood my exampe of the inspection guy. It was to prove a point that even though it is MY car, the person that passes my ILLEGAL car can get in trouble. Just like if a tint guy puts ILLEGAL tint on MY car, HE can get in trouble. Make sense? Dipshit.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

careful patrick...he's a STATE INSPECTOR!!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by no_more_z28
The whole tint thing is STUPID! Stopp being nosie cops and go for the real idiots! Sorry had to let it out... but seriously wtf? Who cares man If I'm smoking some bud u will smell it... If im drunk u WILL know... so just stop pushing DUMP laws and worry bout all the real idiot that are in this world.... Get behind me run my plates if something is not right then it will pull up! other then that seriously just cuzz my tint is dark doesnt mean I'm doin somethin wron it means I live in Texas and I'm tryin to keep the HOT *** heat out!
^^ one of the smartest things ive heard in a while
Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

basicaly.. if you already have Illegal as **** tint.. you are fine.. even if you get Illegal as **** tint after the deadline, you are fine. Just make sure there is no sticker and your tint guy is safe. Either way, new law or not.. the fine stays the same for us.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

So where are we suppose to get these labels if we already have tint that was installed years ago?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

when i lived in cali w Texas plate they still made you take it off they made my friend rip his off right then, its not about the tinter but the owner of the vehicle thats responsible to comply. Remember the only cops that can inspect your car are troopers

Quick Reply: New Tint Law in Texas Fine is $1,000 !