Looking for "the best" tuner in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009 | 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Good choice
That's what I keep hearing. WOT performance is important...but it IS still street legal and somewhat street driven, so that's important too! Good guy to talk to, I think if I'm not happy with his work then I'm just too damn difficult to please and should consider knitting instead of cars.

Honestly, though, I'm thankful to this thread because I didn't even know he tuned other people's stuff.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 08-24-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Patrick G
That's a good point. I do the drivability tuning first. Get all the timing tables, airflow tables, VE tables, and MAF scaling set just right and make sure the street manners are as good as they can be. This often takes 4-6 hours to do it right. Once perfect, we hit the dyno and finish the WOT tuning. WOT tuning is easy. Drivability tuning is a black art. Not every tuner takes the time to do it right.
that's exactly what he did. we spent about 3 1/2 hours driving up and down the beltway, lol. He definitely took his time to get it right, and I'm very thankful for it after the previous tunes I've had on the car. Thanks for the input Patrick!
Old 08-24-2009 | 11:58 PM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
oh hell yeah. it's a night and day difference.

Charlie Wheatley. He's really well known for tuning trucks, but man it's the same tuning an fbody. You can find him all over PT.net (he's a sponsor there) and texastruckscene.com. I have to say that I am REALLY impressed with the tune he put on there. I'm starting to swear that a driving tune is where it's at, and that you should never just dyno tune a car that's going to be driven on the street.

I bought a truck with his tune in it, it was horrible. The truck drove and ran like ****. I put a stock pcm and tune in the truck and it ran 100x better. I couldnt look at his tune since it was locked.
Old 08-26-2009 | 04:55 PM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
There is a reason why every other shop around the country calls us for tuning advice. Everything from GM, ford related or even dodge viper stuff. Joe is the man, we dont settle for second place, and our track results prove that. Please feel free to give me a call at the shop on monday and I would be glad to get you in our schedule book.
Really???

World's best tuner can't spell tuning right.

You know, for someone that is "the best" you sure do have a generic question on a tuning board. Just saying, you would think that "the best" tuner would know how to get a car to idle.......... Post #12 is my favorite.
Old 08-26-2009 | 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 08-26-2009 | 10:01 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Really???

You know, for someone that is "the best" you sure do have a generic question on a tuning board. Just saying, you would think that "the best" tuner would know how to get a car to idle.......... Post #12 is my favorite.
even the best need help sometimes....
Old 08-27-2009 | 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch.
Old 08-27-2009 | 04:25 PM
8 Second Club

Actually the best tuner in Texas would be Justin N. from Tuning Concepts. He will tune your LS1, but it'll cost you some coin.

I mean nobody on this forum has tuned a faster 6speed car than the one he has tuned and help setup.
Old 08-27-2009 | 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Actually the best tuner in Texas would be Justin N. from Tuning Concepts. He will tune your LS1, but it'll cost you some coin.

I mean nobody on this forum has tuned a faster 6speed car than the one he has tuned and help setup.
What car are you talking about?
Old 08-27-2009 | 04:34 PM
8 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2Y8c327YA

Granted it also holds the record as the fastest car in the world in the standing mile also. Again nothing anyone else can claim on this forum.
Old 08-27-2009 | 04:48 PM
LS7 Member

Old 08-27-2009 | 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2Y8c327YA

Granted it also holds the record as the fastest car in the world in the standing mile also. Again nothing anyone else can claim on this forum.
Oh yeah, that car is badass! When I read it I thought it said "fastest ls1 6 speed". Its getting close to beer time and my brain isn't working
Old 08-27-2009 | 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Just remember that tuners make their $500-600 bucks whether they spend 30 minutes on it or all day. If your driving 500 miles for a tune make sure when you go back home it is perfect. Driving around tuning is the way to go.
Old 08-27-2009 | 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Really???

How many cars have you tuned with a 4l80e in it with a stock PCM. Little to say the pin out from RPM transmisisons was wrong and that was our problem the whole time.

As far as time tuning, I agree. That is why we usually keep a car for 2 days. One day for driveability and the other for WOT on the dyno.

I will put Joe up against ANY tuner out there. HANDS DOWN!
Old 08-27-2009 | 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Not trying to talk **** about anybody because there is no reason to, but, this weatly guy you all are talking about. He does street tuning with NO WIDEBAND, tell me how smart that is. He tunes by the feel from the seat of the pants.
Old 08-27-2009 | 08:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

You say that the question that is asked is generic, but how many twin turbo 4l80e cars have you tuned. Especially ones that idle fine in neutral, park, and second gear. But, wont idle in 1st , 3rd, or overdrive. That doesnt seem like a generic question. You want to get on here and throw mud about spelling and question my tuners capabilities. Well I think that our reputation speaks for its self. I could go on and on about some of the one off builds that we have done or about how many cars that we retune from other shops. Hell we have other shops from across the country calling us every week with tuning questions.

I mean really... spelling ... thats what you come up with. Since when did we start including grammar classes when you pic up your car. You know I cant spell either, but i sure as hell can build some of the baddest cars out there. now
Old 08-27-2009 | 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Not trying to talk **** about anybody because there is no reason to, but, this weatly guy you all are talking about. He does street tuning with NO WIDEBAND, tell me how smart that is. He tunes by the feel from the seat of the pants.
Seriously?
Old 08-27-2009 | 09:43 PM
Launching!

I'm not talking **** either, because I do believe that you and your shop do good work, but you're wrong. The wideband was hooked up the whole time we were tuning the car. Remember, I was in the car with him
Old 08-27-2009 | 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Seriously?
maybe he's thinking about good ole Chuck
Old 08-27-2009 | 09:44 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

not defending him but i've seen him use a w/b on plenty of trucks and cars.

Quick Reply: Looking for "the best" tuner in Texas