No Start... Just a Click.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the starter visible on an LS1? It sure isn't on a V6. It'd be very difficult to hit the starter, let alone get to it.
Anyone have any experience that's kind local that could help me swap it out?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you think about the VATS bypass as well? If the security light is coming on, the chip in your key might be out....
Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes it is
Old 08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scira
Did you think about the VATS bypass as well? If the security light is coming on, the chip in your key might be out....
Security light is not coming on. I cant remember if I put it in my first post, but it's not VATS. I've experienced the engine kill before, it's not that. The cylinder/key are only about a year old anyway. Had to have it replaced when I first got the car.
Originally Posted by 97camaross
yes it is
That's why it seems so easy. Not so easy for me.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Even though the gauge cluster and electronics are still being powered? Battery isn't even 6 months old, and back in June/July I had it charged when I replaced my alternator.
Yep. Battery probably has enough voltage for the lights just not to crank the starter over. Happened on my mustang and my TA.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna see about getting my battery tested/charged/replaced but I'm thinking it may be my starter...
I'd need some assistance with replacing it. Anyone in San Antonio area willing to help me out?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get the battery changed out first... oh and are you a manual or an auto. cuz if you are a manual, just drop the clutcha nd start it no?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02ws666
get the battery changed out first... oh and are you a manual or an auto. cuz if you are a manual, just drop the clutcha nd start it no?
Yeah, I really need to do that. Just not looking forward to walking a mile to get to Autozone....
It is a manual. Drop the clucth and start it? Wha-? Tell me moar!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I really need to do that. Just not looking forward to walking a mile to get to Autozone....
It is a manual. Drop the clucth and start it? Wha-? Tell me moar!
You have to get the car rolling and pop the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear. Roll it down hill if you can. I've done it to my TA and my Mustang before.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
You have to get the car rolling and pop the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear. Roll it down hill if you can. I've done it to my TA and my Mustang before.
Idk if I have the ability to do that here. However...
Battery test at vatozone proved the battery is fine. Fully charged. Told the lady (she's the manager) what happened.
"Single click when you turn the key?"
me- "yes."
"Starter."
damn.
She put in an order for me to get the part. She said she could keep her store open till midnight tonight so I could get the part tonight, but I told her I wasn't going to work on the car with no light, so tomorrow morning would be okay. Which works out nicely. I only have one class in the morning, just gotta suck up the embarrassment of working on my car in the middle of a parking lot in the middle of the day. Lol.
$159 bucks at vatozone for a new starter. Tis fail. I was told not to buy from there, but... really... it's just too convenient not to.

Last edited by Super-Bat; 09-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Idk if I have the ability to do that here.
Do you have friends? All you need is about 5mph and pop the clutch in first gear. Oh, just in case... make sure the key is turned on as well.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DSIM
Do you have friends? All you need is about 5mph and pop the clutch in first gear. Oh, just in case... make sure the key is turned on as well.
On campus? Not really any that would be willing to help.
Friends that live off campus are to lazy to come over here either.

I need new friends.
lol
Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha yea friends are always there whent hey need something, but never there when YOU need them. You and one other person could pop the clutch. Turn the key on, put it in N. both of you push it to about 5 mph.. then get it, press clutch, put in 1st, release clutch.
It will spin the engine forcing it to start. At least then you could drive it home to work on it in the garage
Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws666
haha yea friends are always there whent hey need something, but never there when YOU need them. You and one other person could pop the clutch. Turn the key on, put it in N. both of you push it to about 5 mph.. then get it, press clutch, put in 1st, release clutch.
It will spin the engine forcing it to start. At least then you could drive it home to work on it in the garage
This. If you can work it out with someone then this would be your best bet. Heck, I had a friend who had a manual in his Camaro and the starter went out and he couldn't afford a starter. His house was on the side of a hill so he just always parked with the front facing downhill so he could pop the clutch to start it. I was always nervous when he'd leave it running to go into the store but to each his own.