No Start... Just a Click.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Start... Just a Click.

Alright I'm in need of some assistance with this one guys.
Drove the car like 2 minutes to the University Police Office to get parking permit to go on the new hatch. Get it, walk back to car, turn the key.
Click.
That's it. Gauge lights turn on, gauge seems to respond fine, stereo turns on, all that. I tried a few more times. Always just a Click.
Called UPD again, they dispatched the Charger (police car) and tried to jump start the car. Nothing seemed to work.
It seems like Engine Kill thanks to VATS but the Security light does NOT stay on. It comes on like it should normally when you put in the key and turn it to ON. It shortly turns off, and then when I try to start the car, just the Click.
I've experienced the engine kill before. The Security light would stay on the entire time, so I know for sure it's not that.
Anyone have any ideas?
Car is a 2000 Firebird V6.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try and reset the comp? Pull the cables of the bat, see if it will reset and try again. Is it the starter clicking or just fp and electronics???
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Happened to mine positive cable was corroded scraped it off, ran fine
Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try taking the terminals off and checking for corrosion. That'll also reset the comp when I pull the terminals off.
I THINK it's the starter clicking. Not sure exactly.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

One of two things:
1. corrosion on the terminals
2. battery is dying/dead.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
One of two things:
1. corrosion on the terminals
2. battery is dying/dead.
Even though the gauge cluster and electronics are still being powered? Battery isn't even 6 months old, and back in June/July I had it charged when I replaced my alternator.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like the starter most likely the solenoid.... don't buy from autozone go to o'reillly's just take it with u they can test it in store
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I agree it does sounds like its the starter.
also check the charge of the battery again .
Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was afraid it was the starter. I didn't want to mention it to see if anyone else would think the same thing.
Anyone want to help me out in removing/replacing it?
Vatozone wants alot. They do the instore test as well. Car is stuck in school parking lot. I'm limited on tools. The starter is a PITA to remove too...
Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Did you already try to clean the terminals? I had this same problem a week ago. Lights would light up and everything, it just wouldn't turn over. good luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Did you already try to clean the terminals? I had this same problem a week ago. Lights would light up and everything, it just wouldn't turn over. good luck.
I'm in class right now. I'm going to try and clean them off after class if it's not too dark. Also, if it's not too late and my gf can come over, I'm going to pull the battery and go to vatozone and have it tested/charged. It's literally right across the street from campus, but thanks to the perimeter fencing, it turns into a mile walk carrying a battery and then back again. No thanks. lol.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went outside after class (it was already getting dark), and checked the battery terminals. They were as clean as they were when I took a wire brush to them a few months ago when I changed out my alternator a few months ago. They were on tight, so they seemed to be making a good connection, i reconnected them, and tightened them on snug. Tried to start the car, nothing.
Unless it's the battery, but I have no means of testing/charging it now. Will have to wait till tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it has to be the starter cuz it wouldn't start with a jump. while some one is jumping you off get under your car with a hammer and hit your starter while some one is trying to start your car 90% of the time your car will start but you still will need a starter. it is not hard to replace the starter a nube can do it in like 45 minutes it is 2 wire connections and 2 bolts just make sure the battery is disconnected when you go to replace it or you will for sure get a surprise, oh and make sure the 2 wire connections arnt touching when you go back with it..

any more questions feel free to pm me ill be happy to help.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97camaross
it has to be the starter cuz it wouldn't start with a jump. while some one is jumping you off get under your car with a hammer and hit your starter while some one is trying to start your car 90% of the time your car will start but you still will need a starter. it is not hard to replace the starter a nube can do it in like 45 minutes it is 2 wire connections and 2 bolts just make sure the battery is disconnected when you go to replace it or you will for sure get a surprise, oh and make sure the 2 wire connections arnt touching when you go back with it..

any more questions feel free to pm me ill be happy to help.
I read in my Hayne's manual that replacing the starter on my v6 is a PITA. I even looked under there and it's pretty hidden. You willing to make a trip down here to help me install it?? haha.
Why does vatozone charge nearly 200 bucks for a starter... good god!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

starters arnt cheap but you get what you pay for with starters. ive never delt with a v6 f body starter but it shouldn't be that hard. just watch what you are doin and take your time. where are you located?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw go to o riles to get the starter if you get one. autozone sells cheap ****. and try that hammer trick first...
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in San Antonio. Autozone usually has lifetime warranties on their products though. I'll check out O'reillys though.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have someone hit the starter with a pole/hammer/wood/etc from underneath while you crank it, it does looks like its a bad starter, do what I'm telling you, it might just turn and start, that way you can take the car to a better place to work on it.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya SA is pretty far away but good luck with the swap
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, by the way, check out Advance Auto, they have better equipment to test, also lifetime warranties, less hassle on returns.... and much better service in my opinion, I have had good luck at Advance, like it better there. Oh and they will price match competitors as long as its the same warranty.