Just got a ticket. I think it's BS, and I can fight it. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats funny, i sometimes do same thing, but its my foot that moves to push down the clutch, when there is none
Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck fighting the ticket in court...your only chance is to get a lawyer and possibly have it dismissed...I just went to court for a ticket and they stuck it to me...it was the cops word against mine no video no witnesses no nothing...speed limit was 55 which is what I was doing with cruise set...he was pulled over and I was in the left hand lane he pulled out in the right lane he came into my lane and I swerved into the right lane to avoid plowing his motorcycle over...he pulled me over for following to closely and no turn signal when changing lanes...our motorcycle cops don't have video recorders on there bikes...you can guess how that went...there was also a no insurance ticket but it was dismissed...cop under oath in court claimed I almost made him wreck his motorcycle...two weeks after I was pulled over he wrecked the bike in the exact same spot with no person near him...turns out the law for following too closely isn't stated at any certain distance but it's the officers discretion...whatever he feels is safe
Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not saying it can't be done but good luck man...I hate when cops get away with everything under the sun but run the streets because they have a badge but in reality are the worse ones...or at least that's how it is around here...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

It wasn't about the $124 ticket it was principle that I wouldn't get pushed around by the cops just because the badge
Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
It wasn't about the $124 ticket it was principle that I wouldn't get pushed around by the cops just because the badge
Wow, I feel for you. But the thing with MY case, is that the actual offense itself was considered invalid back in '03. So I'm hoping to have a better shot.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

A friend used to have a 1990 gmc sonoma m5. i had a 98 z71 suburban, 4l60e. I would let John drive cuz we smoked a lot and it was a great truck to ride in.
One night we stopped at a red light, light turned green, he reached for the shifter. obviously he didnt find it, he paniced and punched my radio lookin for the shifter. 400 bucks down the *******.
id fight hell and high water out of that ticket for 3 reasons. 1 as stated, the acceleration thing is bs. 2 revving your engine is not a crime
Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I'm sure SOMEONE was on the road, but since you said you were pulled over after midnight I would guess the officer was looking for a DUI.

To the OP, judging by the other posters in this thread it looks like half of us believe you and half don't.... Sure we haven't heard the whole story but we also haven't heard the cops side of the story either. Keep that in mind if you do try for a jury trial.
well yea there were random cars here and there but not too many, oh well...

but the OP's ticket seems to be difficult o get around but possible?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I would fight it. The jury will consist of everyday people that have probably never even heard of exhibition of acceleration, it will confuse the hell out of them and you might have a chance from there.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
So you are saying that this officer isn't aware of a law change that supposedly took place 6 years ago??
Yep thats what he is saying. Apparantly you missed the change too so it must be pretty common.

Last ticket I had for exhibition of acceleration a few years ago was dismissed when I protested the ticket. Never made it to court.

The policeman said he was giving me a ticket for exhibition of acceleration.
I told him that law doesn't exhist anymore. He said he would see me in court and I told him "Nope, I'll have it dismissed before that happens."
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T/A-Speedfreak
Yep thats what he is saying. Apparantly you missed the change too so it must be pretty common.

Last ticket I had for exhibition of acceleration a few years ago was dismissed when I protested the ticket. Never made it to court.

The policeman said he was giving me a ticket for exhibition of acceleration.
I told him that law doesn't exhist anymore. He said he would see me in court and I told him "Nope, I'll have it dismissed before that happens."
Damn!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can try fighting the ticket. I could've sworn that law had been revised...recently. Too late now to look into it, but I'll see what I can dig up.
Originally Posted by Slash8915
As I went around the car, I accidently pushed forward a bit on the shifter, and the car went into neutral, revving it. Mind you, my cutout was open.
My advice?
!driver mod.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z
fight it. There is no way to prove that was even you in the first place. Trial by Jury always wins. Who is to say thatt wasnt even a car on the other side of the freeway or even in front of you. Prove your car is stock, fresh inspection always helps. Beat the ticket on the exibition charge. Ask if i was accelerating fast, how fast was i going and does he have vidoe to prove it. In substantial evidence will always work in your favor. If he doesnt have you on video, its just his word against yours, but if you prove your car is stock, and at factory settings, your car was unable to even do that then you win. Go not guilty, trial by jury. Talk to a cop or a lawyer, they will help you write out what your gonna need in court. I beat out alot of Loud exhaust tickets this way. Without a decibal reader, I won everytime. Dumbass ******* cops. Thats what they get for picking a career that pays 40K a year with overtime.

Your sentence structure, or lack thereof, means you could not pass the report writing portion of the "Dumbass *******" police academy.

If cops are dumbasses, why do you even think about referring the OP to seek an Officers advice?

Furthermore, jury trials in Municipal Courts, especially in smaller municipalities, rarely end in favor of the defendant.

Of course, unless you are ZEX.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
iv done this before, a few times actually. very understandable

i got pulled over the other day by a denton sheriff because i was driving in the left lane and not passing anybody, but it was like after midnight and nobody on the road to pass? i didnt know that was a law...

I went to driving course 2 years ago (ran a stop sign at 3 mph 2 blocks from my house at 1:30 am, coming home from a race, towing my trailer) and the instructor said it's not a law unless posted. MIght need to do some research on it.