Going crazy, need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going crazy, need HELP!!!

Two days ago, my car just wouldnt start. It came out to being the battery taking a crap on me. So i changed the battery out. While changing the battery out, I also took out the factory monsoon amp because there was a connection problem with it which caused the speakers to make a whistling sound. The car fired up just fine and I drove down to O Riely to get a new alternator since the voltage was always fluctuating. Bought the alternator. When I tried starting the car, it woudnt even click or anything. All the warning/check lights would come on as usual, but it wouldnt turn over. Popped the hood, but didnt get anywhere. After sitting for 30 minutes, i tried again and it started. I went to the dealership (thinking it might be the key) and bought a new key just in case it was the stupid chip. Same thing happens, it wouldnt start again. So now, it basically does it every time. Anytime I turn it off, it needs a 30 minute beauty sleep. The car has a Viper alarm that came with the car when i bought it. It did not come with the factory remotes when I bought it 2 years ago. The dealership did confirm that it originally came with the factory remotes, which I am guessing the previous owner switched out for the viper alarm. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??? Please help. Oh yeah, I am JOBLESS right now.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Sounds like an issue with the Viper alarm. Maybe the main module going bad?

Have you tried turning off the car, but leaving the key in it and then restarting? If it restarted like that, I'd say it's the alarm.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Teching In

I have tried leaving the key in, turning the alarm on and off 3 times and starting, setting off the alarm and starting while the damn thing is going off, called it names, prayed to god....the works. Nothing changes lol, and it sits there for 30 some odd minutes every time. I plan on yanking out the Viper tomorrow altogether and buying the factory remote tomorrow. But is that really the issue? Why would it do that just because the viper alarm is messed up?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

make sure the battery terminals are TIGHT! I had to take my battery out for some reason; i thought i had tightened them well, but i got stranded the next day b/c of a loose battery terminal....

Also, make sure the cable that goes to the starter is tight.... mine wiggled loose and had to tighten it not too long ago.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Teching In

does the security lights stays on that may be it that happend to me ones on my firebird that ignition switch when out and lock the whole car and another time on my camaro it start it doing the same thing it will work fine for a while and then of no where it will not let me start the car i had to wait about 30 minutes like you said so i took it to get i bypass on the security and reflash the computer that happend 2 years ago it haven't mess up on me sense then
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your starter? I had a similar issue and it was my starter that crapped out on me.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

So far, I have ripped out the viper alarm, which was a major bitch to do. Went to the dealership and got a new remote. They programmed it but it wont lock/unlock the car. The lights blink when you press the buttons on the remote, the panic alarm works but the doors wont lock/unlock. They said its going to take them more time and will charge me 90/hr till they solve it. Since I dont have a job right now, I cant afford that kind of money. They said they hooked up the computer to the car but it wont communicate either. So now, I'm basically screwed. Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking I pulled out one too many wires during the Viper hacking lol. The car runs, but needs cool down time after every start still. HELP
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

It really sounds like a bad starter. It will have those exact symptoms. Can you hear a faint clicking when it won't start ? The solenoid will go bad sometimes and will stick in position and will release after sitting for a while.

The next time it won't start, try giving the starter a coulple of taps with a small hammer or something heavy. If it starts immediately afterwards, it is definetly a bad starter.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rayosequis
It really sounds like a bad starter. It will have those exact symptoms. Can you hear a faint clicking when it won't start ? The solenoid will go bad sometimes and will stick in position and will release after sitting for a while.

The next time it won't start, try giving the starter a coulple of taps with a small hammer or something heavy. If it starts immediately afterwards, it is definetly a bad starter.
x2

Thats exactly what i was thinking.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should've checked your starter like we said before hacking away at wires... You may have dug yourself into a deeper grave. Good luck though!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

edit-nvm
Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Teching In

UPDATE:

It was the ignition switch. For some reason, it wouldnt completely shut off when I would turn the car off and burned because it had burn marks on it. The Viper alarm had taken a crap as well (which I was told could have been due to the ignition never completely shutting of (whatever). New ignition switch (which is a major bitch to take off), factory alarm, and a new battery (just in case) and its back to normal. I will replace the starter in the next few months just as a precaution too. Thanks for all the recommendations/diagnosis.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

glad to see you got it fixed
Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuys98ls1
does the security lights stays on that may be it that happend to me ones on my firebird that ignition switch when out and lock the whole car and another time on my camaro it start it doing the same thing it will work fine for a while and then of no where it will not let me start the car i had to wait about 30 minutes like you said so i took it to get i bypass on the security and reflash the computer that happend 2 years ago it haven't mess up on me sense then
Dude you type like Rain Man talks. Punctuation please...