jetta tdi

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm 40s is good. really good, i hear some get in the 50s and go over 600miles to the tank.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TDI 4 me

I've had a 98 New Beetle TDI, a 2001 Jetta TDI, and I currently drive a 2000 Jetta TDI with 210,000 miles on it

Only the 2001 models tend to smell like crayons, because VW was experimenting with the sealant on the body panels.

If you do you own maintenance, you won't spend much at all. I've changed a couple timing belts, and even when I changed everything [water pump, all belts, rollers, etc.] I only spent $300 for the parts [100k timing belt interval].

From what I recall..
The TDIs started in the '96 and '97 Passat
Came out in '98 with the New Beetle and Jetta III.
The 1999.5 "New" Jetta IV got the TDI, too.
In 2004, VW started using a PD Diesel. That thing had 10 more horsepower, but got less mpg and requires special oil.

I look for the '96-'03 TDIs... they'll last forever

The best MPG I got was on a 400 mile trip from here to Jackson, MS.
I got 64 MPG at 57 MPH the whole way. One the way back, I cruised
at 65 MPH and only got 55 MPG.

There aren't many shops around that will work on a TDI. The ones that do will want a big stack of cash. It's best to do your own work.

The interiors are extremely tough. The interior on my 210k mile car looks really good.

Remember... be careful if you buy a 2001. The only way to get rid of the crayon smell is to remove all the interior, scrap off all the wax-y sealer and then clean it up really good. I found it easier to sell the car

The Beetle has lots of room in the back seat. I'm not sure why. It seems to have more than the Jetta. We have two young girls. They said there is more room in the back of a Beetle.

Get a black TDI Beetle, tint the windows, install a [conservative] wing and some cool wheels, and you should be able to retain your "man card"... for a day or two
Old 10-10-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the tdi. My cousin has one, 5 speed and she loves it.

Me on the other hand am looking at a colorado z71 with the new 5.3. Quick *** 4x4 from the factory, dealership quoted me 25k for a 31 sticker truck. I love my silverado but due to some greedy bastards, my door is all screwed up and I am radioless.