jetta tdi

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetta tdi

Any one here owns one. i ask this because ive been looking at some recently . Im also thinking about replacing my impala.

hell i figure since im paying to much for it i might as well trade it in on something i actually like. got my impala for 18000$ which was a bad idea. So far its been alright but im not happy with it. I have to fill the **** up 2 times a week and i dont even go anywhere. ive been doing some research on the Jetta tdi hell even the golf tdi.

1. great gas mileage. talking about 45-60mpg highway and 30 something city

2. looks good.

3. free maintenance.

The bad. i hear that there is a 40k tune up that costs almost a 1000$. Only for the automatics i think though.

Last edited by That_guy; 10-07-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Launching!

My cousin has one. Nice little car. Ive driven it a few times. Rides pretty good, the MPG is great! Looks good too, unlike those horrendous things people call Aveos and Prius.

Go for it, you cant go wrong with one.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Teching In

yea my girlfriend has one and she loves it she gets any were from 45 to 55 everywhere she goes the worst she has gotten is like 42 in town! They are great little cars. Not very quick tho
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know 5 people at work alone that have jettas, and 4/5 have put major $$$ into them.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

My wife has a 2002 Jetta TDI with a 5 speed ( the only way I recommend them) and it's great. It gets out of it's own way decently and provides us with 49 MPG solid all the way round. It has eaten 2 setrs of glow plugs at 20$ a piece and a timing belt at 120K miles for 1,000$ but other than that for , get this .....................wait it's coming..................
162,000miles
Even better yet when we bought it diesel was dirt cheap so we saved out the *** on gas bills. To top that to boot, this was her first standard tranny car that I tought her to drive in 2 days before she had to traverse the city to and from work,shopping etc. and she is still on the factory clutch. ANd I have on many occasions towed the TA with it. When the clutch went out in it, the rear locked up, and a mysterious PCM problem arose. The TDI came through. Here's a pic!

Great car for the family or average efficient DD!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

everytime a VW rolled into the oil change shop I use to work at, the interior was always falling apart (even on new ones), the dipstick was broken on about 60% of them(a dipstick..really?) and along with the hood latch. They also smelt like crayons on the inside lol(mainly only in the bug model)

def worth it through for the gas mileage
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i was going to buy one for a daily but i've read and seen first hand how they keep breaking all the time and it's expensive to repair.... i passed
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

not a jetta, but my girl has a 06 passat, worst car i or she has ever owned. F volkeswagen in the A
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are ok, and yeah they do smell like crayons, haha I thought I was just tripping, glad I am not the only one. They kinda have a weird powerband though, I was toying with one at work and you punch it and it takes off kinda slow and then the power kicks in.

I wouldn't mind having one, I wouldn't pay a whole lot for one either though. It's also fun revving it up and watching the black smoke come out. They kinda have that Powerstroke smell to them though.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
They are ok, and yeah they do smell like crayons, haha I thought I was just tripping, glad I am not the only one. They kinda have a weird powerband though, I was toying with one at work and you punch it and it takes off kinda slow and then the power kicks in.

I wouldn't mind having one, I wouldn't pay a whole lot for one either though. It's also fun revving it up and watching the black smoke come out. They kinda have that Powerstroke smell to them though.
lol powerstroke smell lol. hmmm does it have a powerstroke idle ? i kid i kid. i heard some good things about them but also some bad things. ill try and look for a used one and trade my **** in. if i dont change my mind
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Second Fun Car

They are small, I would look into a civic instead if you want to stay smaller. The upkeep is cheaper and pretty good milege.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by That_guy
lol powerstroke smell lol. hmmm does it have a powerstroke idle ? i kid i kid. i heard some good things about them but also some bad things. ill try and look for a used one and trade my **** in. if i dont change my mind
Actually yes haha.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlrz28
They are small, I would look into a civic instead if you want to stay smaller. The upkeep is cheaper and pretty good milege.
agreed, i would just get a civic, for one even if it does break, **** easy as hell to work on, you could prob. pull the whole f'n motor in like 30 min... and they get good gas mileage... on the whole jetta tdi thing my friend has one and she said that she has to go to VW to get her oil changed becaues the tdi uses a special filter and that no one carries it (jiffy lube, kwik car lube, wal mart, etc.) and that's $80 and the parts are expensive, and they are slower that dirt, they dont go anywhere when you hit the gas, they do blow black smoke though... if it was me i would get a honda civic, or a silverado 2500 < thats my choice!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

honda civic si cant go wrong with it
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

im happy with the 09 carolla i use as a daily driver. 35mpg in the city. its a 5sp manual. 4 door and is big enough to fit 5 adults in the car. all that and its a toyota so its going to last forever haha.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

what about tunes. arent there some chips you can use for it. like a bully dog lmao but for tdis.

ive heard about it before. came across one vid of one making over 300lbs of torque
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by That_guy
what about tunes. arent there some chips you can use for it. like a bully dog lmao but for tdis.

ive heard about it before. came across one vid of one making over 300lbs of torque

yeah i think they do make some chips for those but i heard thats when **** starts breaking... iunno may be wrong though...
Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have two TDI jettas.

Here is the thing, nothing else that gets 35+ mpg has the ‘usable’ torque like the TDI. I have a 2006 5spd and a 2009 (clean diesel) auto. The 2009 is obviously my favorite
though because it makes 235 pounds of torque and is a lot quieter than the older TDI.

As for the smell… It smells like a new car. I don’t know what ya’ll are talking about.

The maintenance is kind of a pain, it does cost 100 bucks to have the oil changed. But the new Jetta’s come with free maintenance for the term of the warranty, and you only have to change the oil every 10k miles, per the warranty and manufacturer.

You can get performance stuff for these cars, chips, propane, nitrous. But that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a car that can get ~4x mpg.

I drive my 09 between 80 and 90 mph on the freeway 100 miles every day. I don’t hot rod all of the time, but I’m also not that guy that takes off from the light like I have absolutely nothing better to do that sit in the car. Driven like this I get an average of 36-38. If I slow down to the speed limit and grandma off of the stoplights then I get 40-44 average.

Great cars, way better than the Japanese comparables IMO.
BTW my 2006 TDI has 115k miles and has had Z E R O problems.

Jeremy
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

I'm going to go drive one just for fun now
Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jermstyle
I have two TDI jettas.

Here is the thing, nothing else that gets 35+ mpg has the ‘usable’ torque like the TDI. I have a 2006 5spd and a 2009 (clean diesel) auto. The 2009 is obviously my favorite
though because it makes 235 pounds of torque and is a lot quieter than the older TDI.

As for the smell… It smells like a new car. I don’t know what ya’ll are talking about.

The maintenance is kind of a pain, it does cost 100 bucks to have the oil changed. But the new Jetta’s come with free maintenance for the term of the warranty, and you only have to change the oil every 10k miles, per the warranty and manufacturer.

You can get performance stuff for these cars, chips, propane, nitrous. But that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a car that can get ~4x mpg.

I drive my 09 between 80 and 90 mph on the freeway 100 miles every day. I don’t hot rod all of the time, but I’m also not that guy that takes off from the light like I have absolutely nothing better to do that sit in the car. Driven like this I get an average of 36-38. If I slow down to the speed limit and grandma off of the stoplights then I get 40-44 average.

Great cars, way better than the Japanese comparables IMO.
BTW my 2006 TDI has 115k miles and has had Z E R O problems.

Jeremy
Ditto on this -
I am on my second Jetta TDI. Had an '06 and traded it on a '09 when they came out with the 2 liter 200 ft.lbs torque. The torque curve is great. Both are manual. The 6Speed is great and the new automatic has a dual clutch system like the Mercedes. My experience the same as above with respect to mileage and the oil changes are free on the '09.Go drive one and see for your self. Mileage is the same as mentioned above although I have gotten high 40's when babied on the highway and kept under 70 mph w/o A/C.