Gun Safes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009 | 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Gun Safes?

Im looking for a gun safe, and I really dont know where to start at.

I want something that i can hold around 10 rifles/shot gun and be able to put important documents/ cash in....

what is somethings that i should look for in a good safe?

pics of yours?

thanks
Old 10-09-2009 | 02:55 PM
Launching!

just talked to paw paw hes a big gun collector we will talk tonight bout this ... but i hope everyone still post pics of theres... got to love seein that stuff.....
Old 10-10-2009 | 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Academy has a 14 gun safe for $359, I plan on picking one up tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2009 | 12:20 PM
Teching In

One issue to consider is fire protection. If you want the guns & docs to survive a fire, it does increase the cost significantly. It depends on the value of contents involved as to whether it's worth the upgrade to a fireproof safe, typically rated to 1,700 degrees.
Old 10-10-2009 | 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Be advised a gun safe is going to cost you ~$4K. You would be good to start your search there, even if that's more than you want to pay, work your way down through the RSCs until you hit your price range. At least you'll know what you're giving up. There is a subforum on arfcom for safes & security. Lots of good info there. Here's a video of an RSC being pried open. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M
Old 10-11-2009 | 06:46 PM
Teching In

Default Check these guys out. They have a factory on Houston

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/sarge_gun_safes.htm

They claim to not have had a safe opened in 35 years. They have some safes as cheap as $1000. I have not bought one yet but am planning on it.
Old 10-11-2009 | 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wallyj

They claim to not have had a safe opened in 35 years. They have some safes as cheap as $1000. I have not bought one yet but am planning on it.
hmm...imma try and swing by there this week and take a look at them

I have never been worried about my house burning to the ground until i started to look for a safe. I understand the temp. rating of the safe and how long it can stand at that temp.

But would I really need a safe that can last for 100mins @ 2k*F???
Old 10-12-2009 | 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

Uhh... the "factory" is in China!!
They have a retail outlet in Houston.
Those "safes" with 12 - 14 ga. sheetmetal doors & sides are OK for keeping your kids out but a crackhead with a hatchet will be in within minutes. Your better off hiding your stuff, at least they'll have to look for it.
Old 10-12-2009 | 07:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ptero
Uhh... the "factory" is in China!!
They have a retail outlet in Houston.
Those "safes" with 12 - 14 ga. sheetmetal doors & sides are OK for keeping your kids out but a crackhead with a hatchet will be in within minutes. Your better off hiding your stuff, at least they'll have to look for it.
I guess the guy lied to me then. Wouldn't be suprised, but I'd want to make sure. He said they were made here.He went on for quite a long time contrasting the details of his safes to all the cheap crap on the market.
They also build vault doors according to him.
Old 10-12-2009 | 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

He went on for quite a long time contrasting the details of his safes to all the cheap crap on the market.
They also build vault doors according to him.
Shop around a bit, I think you'll find most of them do the same (at least I did). When you find someone that sells their product on their merit without attacking the competion you may be on to something.

There is a place on 1960 that has (had?) some Graffunder safes. They're really expensive but it's good to look at something like that to see what you give up when you drop in price. They have some cheap stuff there too.
American Security Safes have 1/2" plate doors and can sometimes be found on sale @ Carters.
Take your time and do some research, I'm sure you can find something that meets your needs within your price range. IMO there are way too many $1500-$2K safes out there that provide little to no real security. Keep in mind though... while anything is better than nothing, nothing is really 100% secure.

Lot's of info here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=46

Last edited by ptero; 10-12-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

National Security gun safes are the best you can buy, they are expensive but worth it. I've had mine for over 15 years now, nice peice.