Roughly how much should this dent cost to fix with PDR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Because you use ls1 tech as Facebook. I agree it was worth a shot. Get in the phone book and look up paintless dent repair. Here is a website of a place that you can go. http://www.carcocollision.com/ When the dent is gone, report back.
Ah you're right. I guess I should have went on facebook and asked my friends if they know how much my dent would cost to fix? . I went on here, bc I felt as though you guys could give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to fix, since I haven't been able to see a PDR man in person yet.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z2885
The norm is 150.00 for the first dent and then 50.00 after that. That one is pretty big so Id think 250-300 dollars.

holy hell!

I've never paid more than $45 for PDR work. I've had it done twice. once for 3-4 dents in the rear 1/4. one of which was decent sized (although not nearly as bad as the OP's)

the other time i spent $40 for a single ding which can be seen in the pic below. I removed the spare and jack for him and he did it from the inside.

The ding can be seen in the white car's wheel reflection

another angle
Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
You sure you did it right? Heat it enough and hold the air can upside down? Did anything happen at all? I saw a vid where a guy taped a piece of aluminum foil to his car over the dent and used a lighter to heat the dented area (aluminum protects the paint...supposedly) then he used the air can.
Actually, I tried 3-4 times. And I didn't think it was getting hot enough. So the last time I got extra close, but when I went to spray it, there was pretty much nothing left in the can. It went fast.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I also have a couple torque dings I want to get taken out, but wasn't sure how easy those are to take out?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AZoN0c6lI
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Teching In

That is in a tough spot no matter what. Be careful who you let do pdr. That is for sure a job for an experienced tech. Because of the curve the metal is stronger at that point than on a flat surface. If not done properly will put small poke marks outward cracking the paint. Also due to the fact that it is far from either end of the panel means they will have to use a longer rod making it more difficult to reach. I managed a reputable pdr/bodyshop here in Houston for 8 years. Not that I know everything but just some advice. There used to be a company in austin called Dent Magic there best tech was named Mike. Worth a shot calling them. Last I heard he was in europe doing hail work.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Well, $6.50 later... The dent is still there. It was worth a shot though.
Good to know..
Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I was just thinking, I can take that plastic cover off that keeps the neck of the gas tank in place. And a rod could go in from there...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I was just thinking, I can take that plastic cover off that keeps the neck of the gas tank in place. And a rod could go in from there...
you might just be able to take the carpet down on that side and get to it. i know the pass side is pretty much accessible once you remove the spare.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Not trying to be rude. Do you plan on trying to pop the dent out yourself? I tried it one time and ended up with an outward dent. The metal has stretched and needs to be massaged back into place. Let a pro do it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Not trying to be rude. Do you plan on trying to pop the dent out yourself? I tried it one time and ended up with an outward dent. The metal has stretched and needs to be massaged back into place. Let a pro do it.
I never considered trying to do it myself. My plan the entire time was getting a PDR guy to do it. They only thing I was willing to try(and was still weary about it) was the hairdryer trick. Trust me man, I don't want to make the problem worse. I'm just hoping PDR can fix it. 2 of the shops said yes PDR should fix it, and the other said probably not "perfect". But if it was his car, he'd go the PDR route.

Do you think a PDR man be able to massage it back into place since it has been stretched? Or are you thinking PDR can't fix it?

And I pointed out the gas door entry to show that there is a way inside that isn't too far from the dent. Not that I was going to try it
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Teching In

He is right. Your car is too nice to not let a very well trained tech work on it. If you remove the filler it will make access easier because of the clear path but they will either drill a hole in the door jamb, take out the tail lamp and then possibly drill or jack it up take off the wheel and then drill in the wheel well for access.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DKM DWN
He is right. Your car is too nice to not let a very well trained tech work on it. If you remove the filler it will make access easier because of the clear path but they will either drill a hole in the door jamb, take out the tail lamp and then possibly drill or jack it up take off the wheel and then drill in the wheel well for access.
I was hoping no holes would need to be drilled in it. I had a PDR drill a hole on my door jam on one of my old camaros... I hated looking at it.

Going off your experience... How much does this job look like its going to run me?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

I was hoping no holes would need to be drilled in it. I had a PDR drill a hole on my door jam on one of my old camaros... I hated looking at it.

Going off your experience... How much does this job look like its going to run me?
A good dent guy wont drill holes. Dont settle for a dent guy that says he has to drill a hole, it is shitty work IMO. I am sure that it can be massaged to where you cant notice it. I have seen our guys do some amazing work. Like I said earlier, might run $100.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

the guy who did my frist dents drilled into the door jam on the passenger side and later plugged it with a rubber plug. it looks totally factory and you wouldn't even notice it was not supposed to be there unless i told you. It probably also helps that there has only been a passenger in my car maybe twice in the last 2 years.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Even the best dent guy will tell you drilling is going to be necessary at some point in time. They should have plugs that will look "factory" and before they plug it should use some paint to keep the hole from rusting too bad. Ask for a few exrta plugs so later on you can redo it yourself. I would say depending on the tech and quality $100-$150. I know it sounds like alot but even if not 100% perfect less expensive than paint and body. Besides who wants to paint there 1/4 panel and possibly blend the door for a dent.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Ya man... I dont want want it to get repainted. One of the shops quoted me $350 to do with with out PDR. I still wouldnt trust the paint afterwards.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

If he can drill a small hole like 3/8" in you door jamb (which will be plugged with a rubber plug) he can go in from there, and I am speaking for past experience too...
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Teching In

:How much does this job look like its going to run me?
I knew guys a couple years ago that did PDR for Enterprise car rental. They typically charge $50-$100 per body panel.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Scottspdr.com in san antonio said they could fix for $100. I just emailed him back asking if any holes will need to be drilled...

Does anyone on here have any expierence with them?