Looking for a first job!..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You said that you went looking for a job the other day. Where did you go? Also, what are your pay expectations? I would really not hope for more than $8/hr when you start, be nice to get more, but in reality, that is what you will probably make. Restaurants are a great source of income for young workers, start as a host or busser, work hard, and when you turn 18 you can be a server. A decent server can usually take home around $5-600/wk that could easily help you pay for school, assuming you do 2 years of community college first, earn an great GPA, and apply for scholarships.
How much do you owe on the car? Are you currently driving it, or does it sit in the garage? Will you be paying your own insurance? A T/A at 16 could be as much as $300 a month, maybe more! Keep that in mind.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys thanx for the advice. i owe 6,000 on the T/a. wish it was less but thats what it is. my dad bought it and i have to pay it off to him.

Also about the college, thanks guys i know its almost that time. I'll get into college don't worry. im into designing. maybe in the future i might Design New cars. ...But, i went to Pets Mart, Staples, Putt-putt, AMC theater, and Academy. i Applied for Academy online , Waiting on a responce.

I was just looking for a job guys. and i dont epect much over 8$ if even that, but thats okay.

Just will make the best of it, something is better than nothing right?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I worked at Sams Club when I lived in Dallas, you might have to be 18 though(I was 19-20) . Either way, its easy as hell and got paid ~$12 an hour to start. I'd try there, and after you feel out the app. Ask to talk to the manager and try to set up an interview.

After you feel out applications, you need to go back up there a week or so later and try to set up an interview. If you just feel out an application(with out going back up there), the chances of getting a call from them are slim. They likely have a stack of appilcations. Show that you want the job, it'll help.

Goodluck man.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Krab
Here's my .02. You're probably not going to want to hear it, but here it is anyways. Forget about the car for now, sell it if possible, save up for college or work towards getting scholarships. If you do this and get your degree quickly, you'll have enough cash to get just about any car you want, a nice place, girls, and money to spend.

Or, you could listen to That guy and whatsa347...
BTW, welcome to the forum.
not to sound doom and gloom but in this economy, going to school and getting a degree does not guarantee a good job and having "enough cash to get just about any car you want"
Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Try Wal-Mart there hiring all sorts of positions for seasonal, although I know many have already filled there positions here. You'll probably only be getting around 20-25 hours a week though since you have school. What is minimum wage in Texas? It's $8.00 here in Cali. It'll be tough to get a job right now, its right after most have hired there seasonal and right before the new year when many are getting fired/layed off.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

yea i know man, just looking for a steady job. dont want to get layed off right off the bat ya know. but thank you.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
not to sound doom and gloom but in this economy, going to school and getting a degree does not guarantee a good job and having "enough cash to get just about any car you want"
If I were you I would look at least 6 years into the future because thats when he enters the market...plus if you go to college with the mindset that your going to drink and screw around all day then be my guest...but I'm going to college to get a degree in something (mech. engr) that is going to make me a functional member of society. That's why I suggest getting a degree, and don't do it in theater, music, or film for the love of god.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00fastta
If I were you I would look at least 6 years into the future because thats when he enters the market...plus if you go to college with the mindset that your going to drink and screw around all day then be my guest...but I'm going to college to get a degree in something (mech. engr) that is going to make me a functional member of society. That's why I suggest getting a degree, and don't do it in theater, music, or film for the love of god.
i don't know if i can see into the future. i'm kind of hoping 12/21/12 is the end of the world myself. The way the economy and country is going we're gonna be a 3rd world country soon anyway. As for myself i went to college and got an AAS degree in computer networking. I graduated in 2003. I've had 9 jobs since then with about 3 years worth of unemployment (i'm currently @ 14 months since i last worked) and never made more than about $29k in a single year since i got out of school. during that time i lived in places like ft lauderdale FL and phoenix AZ and paid between $625 and $900 in rent. Looking back i should have tried to get on american idol or started a band or something. I would have probably have more money and a future than i do now

I don't drink and i wasn't one to screw around in college although i only had around a 3.0 GPA since i just wasn't very good at memorizing stuff or taking tests.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-30-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got hired at a bodyshop. I only work three hours a day five days a week for $7.50 and even less now because I had my hours cut but it's a shitload of fun. I turned that small amount of cash into $10,000 pretty damn quick(4 months) by investing it into my 80 Trans Am and making a profit from selling it. Then I went out and paid CASH for my 99 WS6 which was $10k. Buying my 99 WS6 was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made. Chicks love it dude.

I want to cry when I think about my 80' though .. I built that **** from the ground up by myself.

Do that ,rinse and repeat a few times and your going to be one rich kid by the time you graduate. I was going to but my stepdad bitched me out, I think he was starting to get jealous.

Takes money to make money though.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Penguin..... I like your taste in cars. Thats exactly what I started doing almost 13 years ago. Still will build and flip today. It helps out alot when the shop slows down. Definitley get a dergree no matter what..... it will help you advance and open more doors than you can imagine. It will also put you in touch with some great people for later in life as well.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
i don't know if i can see into the future. i'm kind of hoping 12/21/12 is the end of the world myself. The way the economy and country is going we're gonna be a 3rd world country soon anyway. As for myself i went to college and got an AAS degree in computer networking. I graduated in 2003. I've had 9 jobs since then with about 3 years worth of unemployment (i'm currently @ 14 months since i last worked) and never made more than about $29k in a single year since i got out of school. during that time i lived in places like ft lauderdale FL and phoenix AZ and paid between $625 and $900 in rent. Looking back i should have tried to get on american idol or started a band or something. I would have probably have more money and a future than i do now

I don't drink and i wasn't one to screw around in college although i only had around a 3.0 GPA since i just wasn't very good at memorizing stuff or taking tests.
Well I see where your coming from, but why don't we agree to disagree. Just different experiences w/ the system. Everyone I know who has gone to college and gotten a good degree has done just fine.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

jps health or hospital as a secretary or transporter or something
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to my dad about it one time, he said out of all the jobs he has had, not one of them has ever asked for a college degree or even his diploma. He made damn good money as a manager at a truck stop and not too far from that working a car dealers. His wife never went to college either and is making well over $100k in the oil business.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Staging Lane

When i was 16 i got a job after school (thats right stay in school, at least high school) for a roofing company. As it turns out roofing companys have a high turnover rate! I made $10.00 an hour which was about 3 times what all my friends made, but it is hard *** work. It made me tuff and paid for lots of stuff! Roofers dont care how old you are as long as you work hard.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Not to keep this thread off-topic, but I agree with 00fastta.

You can't get an Associate's degree and argue that college doesn't guarantee a good job. An Associates these days is comparable to a High School Diploma back in the day.

Nowadays, you have to have a Bachelor's + for a good job. Anything less, and you may be in for a shock.

My 2 cents.

Also, I 2nd UPS for the OP. Part-time w/ badass benefits.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1CrazyLS1
Not to keep this thread off-topic, but I agree with 00fastta.

You can't get an Associate's degree and argue that college doesn't guarantee a good job. An Associates these days is comparable to a High School Diploma back in the day.

Nowadays, you have to have a Bachelor's + for a good job. Anything less, and you may be in for a shock.

My 2 cents.

Also, I 2nd UPS for the OP. Part-time w/ badass benefits.
Even in the field i chose originally (IT) now a bachelers doesn't guarantee anything either. I'm sick of corporate america and its BS anyway. i wish i could wake up and be someone else, preferibly rich and famous like a rock musician or something. i have no desire to go back to school and no desire to work some shitty low paying job for the next 40 years just to survive.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

just talked to one of the managers where i work. they are hiring telemetry techs, you just watch a couple screens for 12 hr shifts and call the nurses if a alarm goes off, starts around 12$. 3 days a week is considered full time, easy job, great benefits and decent starting pay
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

i have a associate degree am 24 and make 25+/hr...it all depends in what your degree is in not necessarilly how long you have gone to school