My Firebird burned this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Firebird burned this weekend...

Ok, I really don't have the energy to go into the whole story. Basically, the car started, ran for a couple of seconds, and caught fire on the pass side under the hood. Several fire extinguishers, bucket brigade, and volunteer fire dept later, this is what's left. I'm pretty sick, out of all my cars this one is my favorite. I know to most people it's just a car...but, not so much with me.

The insurance company hasn't looked at it yet, so I haven't taken anything apart. I'm not sure if the engine survived or not (the engine was killed as soon as the smoke showed). But...my real concern is if the front subframe is ok, or if it was damaged by heat. I just don't think I can let the car die like this...and I want to put it back together. I'm thinking it will now be called the Phoenix and the front end and front 1/3 of the doors, plus wheels will be painted flat black.

Anyway, I'll be looking for lots of new parts in the near future (assuming the sub frame is ok)...but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Sorry for the pointless post...but I really just needed to vent, I guess.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 11-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy **** man! that sucks, if the sub frame is good looks to me like it would be a lot of $$$ to replace all the burned object... like the engine, brain n all the sensors.... but GL with whatever you do, sorry to hear that happend let us know if you find out how it got started, kinda makes me worry.... what all did you have done to it?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I was you I think I would remove the nitrous kit before the insurance looks at it!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
if i was you i think i would remove the nitrous kit before the insurance looks at it!
+ 1!!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I was you I think I would remove the nitrous kit before the insurance looks at it!
why? it's not flamable... do insurance companies jack up your rates for mods???? oh n plus i dont think they will even know what that is... unless you get that one guy that is actually a gear head that works for insurance agency...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 Probably a good idea.

Sorry for your loss man.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

I will take off the solenoids and plate; but the feed line wasn't on the bottle when this happened.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
holy **** man! that sucks, if the sub frame is good looks to me like it would be a lot of $$$ to replace all the burned object... like the engine, brain n all the sensors.... but GL with whatever you do, sorry to hear that happend let us know if you find out how it got started, kinda makes me worry.... what all did you have done to it?
If I find out, I'll let ya know...but right now I don't care. Whatever caused it is toast anyway...so it's not like I'll be reusing a bad part. Plus, finding the cause won't make the car un-burnt.

You're right, it will be pricey to put it back...but, like I said, I just can't let this car go like that. As for the mods...it was far from stock. It was all a fresh build, though; the car has been "running" since March with that engine and other stuff, but it was all new and a lot different, so I was waiting on a tune before I really hammered on it. The nitrous kit was only armed once to test the window switch, never had spray through it.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
why? it's not flamable... do insurance companies jack up your rates for mods???? oh n plus i dont think they will even know what that is... unless you get that one guy that is actually a gear head that works for insurance agency...
Many insurance companies do raise rates for modified cars. Horsepower is one of the criteria they use to establish their rates and if you raised the horsepower without informing them they might use that as a reason to reject your claim.

My brother-in-law is an arson investigator for an insurance company. As soon as you said "fire" your insurance company notified an arson investigator. There are good odds it will be an investigator who comes out to see your car rather than an adjuster. My brother-in-law isn't a gearhead at all but would be able to spot that nitrous kit a mile away. And the second he does I assure you they will reject the claim. Since your car burned rather than flooded, and nitrous literally adds fuel to fire, you will be left having to prove that the nitrous wasn't responsible, rather than the insurance company having to prove it was.

But if you want to be stubborn and leave it connected even though everyone here is telling you not to, just remember we tried to warn you.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That blows man, sorry to hear.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow thats horrible, however with time im sure you could make it back to savable.

frame should be ok, i dont think the fire got hot enough to stress the metal. your really looking at rebuilding the front end of the car. gut the car completely inside and out and see what you can save
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Many insurance companies do raise rates for modified cars. Horsepower is one of the criteria they use to establish their rates and if you raised the horsepower without informing them they might use that as a reason to reject your claim.

My brother-in-law is an arson investigator for an insurance company. As soon as you said "fire" your insurance company notified an arson investigator. There are good odds it will be an investigator who comes out to see your car rather than an adjuster. My brother-in-law isn't a gearhead at all but would be able to spot that nitrous kit a mile away. And the second he does I assure you they will reject the claim. Since your car burned rather than flooded, and nitrous literally adds fuel to fire, you will be left having to prove that the nitrous wasn't responsible, rather than the insurance company having to prove it was.

But if you want to be stubborn and leave it connected even though everyone here is telling you not to, just remember we tried to warn you.

Thanks for your input...but take it easy dammit. The car just burnt on Saturday and those pictures are from just a few hours after, but I have not had a chance to get anything done with the N20. I never said I wouldn't take it off...in fact, I said I WOULD.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 11-03-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap that's terrible!
Sorry for your loss man...
Good luck with saving what you can and rebuilding if you're able to!
Keep us posted on what happens.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
That blows man, sorry to hear.
Thanks...

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
wow thats horrible, however with time im sure you could make it back to savable.

frame should be ok, i dont think the fire got hot enough to stress the metal. your really looking at rebuilding the front end of the car. gut the car completely inside and out and see what you can save
I'm hoping it works out so that it's rebuildable. I know it won't be cost effective...but, the extra money is worth it to me to keep this car.

I had planned on weight reduction, but I was going to go a different direction with it...but... with !fenders, !radiator, !rubber hoses, !intake, !wires, etc I'm sure it's at least 200 lbs lighter now.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Holy crap that's terrible!
Sorry for your loss man...
Good luck with saving what you can and rebuilding if you're able to!
Keep us posted on what happens.
Thanks...and nice looking car in your Sig...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats scary.

I know you must have loved the car, but was it anything rare? It would take more to rebuild it now than it would to buy a nice low miles firehawk.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _Adrenaline_
Thats scary.

I know you must have loved the car, but was it anything rare? It would take more to rebuild it now than it would to buy a nice low miles firehawk.
Only "rare" part is that it's a silver hardtop. I know others were made...but they aren't too easy to find. It's more sentimental, to be honest. I'm going to see what I can find for a donor car...maybe I'll get lucky and pick up a rear ended Formula for a reasonable price.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Only "rare" part is that it's a silver hardtop. I know others were made...but they aren't too easy to find. It's more sentimental, to be honest. I'm going to see what I can find for a donor car...maybe I'll get lucky and pick up a rear ended Formula for a reasonable price.
How bad is the interior? (smell). Also good for you for wanting to do it but i just would not have the time and patience for the wiring.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _Adrenaline_
How bad is the interior? (smell). Also good for you for wanting to do it but i just would not have the time and patience for the wiring.
At this point, it looks like everything behind the firewall lived...not sure about all the wiring close to the firewall and in the doors. Time will tell. As for it taking a while...I'm not in a hurry.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 11-03-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
At this point, it looks like everything behind the firewall lived...not sure about all the wiring close to the firewall and in the dorrs. Time will tell. As for it taking a while...I'm not in a hurry.
Yeah it looks like you have plenty of toys to keep you busy. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: My Firebird burned this weekend...