Inspection due this month

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a cat, and naturally am throwing an SES light, so I was a little worried when having to get my inspection last year.
I went to the "southside" of town and a small rinky-dink place passed me easily.
He had me turn on my lights, put my blinkers on, honk my horn, and I was done.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Do they hook up to the OBD2 port where you guys live? Here they just do the lights/horn/insurance deal.
It depends on the county. I think all the major cities in Texas have OBD-II/Dyno inspections (depending on the year of the car), with the exception of San Antonio. Rural areas have a safety inspection only.

On cars that are not OBD-II, they run the car on a dyno and stick a sniffer up the tailpipe. All LS vehicles are OBD-II so we have to pass the OBD-II test. They also visually inspect for cats but apparently a lot of shops don't do this since folks are able to get stickers without them (I have cats so has never been an issue for me).
Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shackleford
The light is off. I don't have anything "fixed."
Did you not just read my post??? Just bc the light is off doesnt mean your car is going to pass.. But do what you want.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Do they hook up to the OBD2 port where you guys live? Here they just do the lights/horn/insurance deal.
Depends on the County. There are both Emissions and Non-Emissions checking Counties.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Did you not just read my post??? Just bc the light is off doesnt mean your car is going to pass.. But do what you want.
There is a difference between a stored not ready code and an active not ready code. When the SES light goes off should he drive 25 miles without error the stored code will delete itself (when you unhook the battery it may clear the active code, but not the stored code). Whenever we (Sewell Cadillac) had to do O2 sensor replacement with immediate inspection afterword (or any other repair related to code throwing), we would clear the code with the GM scan tool then drive the car 25 miles to clear it. Thats the only way it would pass inspection.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Originally Posted by DSIM
Then you should have nothing to worry about. As long as the light isnt active at the time of inspection you should be good to go. The reason I asked is because I have heard of people disabling (unplugging) their SES light thinking they could pass inspection that way.
I did not.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

do you have a friend with hptuners? if so, you can tell if you'll pass real easily. just go to the dtc page in the scanner and look at the bottom part of the screen. It will show which tests are ready and which aren't. any more than two not ready's and you will fail. If your ses light is on at the time, you'll fail too. why not just get it fixed first? your codes sound like you changed the gear size or rear tire size from stock. And the guy that said to clear the codes and drive 50 miles, then get it inspected is wrong. The distance has nothing to do with it. You have to complete a full driving cycle before all the tests are run for your "ready/not ready" status.