Front plate laws?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
LOL, that is awesome since i considered making a bracket that would mount it on the outside of my windshield.
well I think then you would be set!

I wanna see this! When the cop pulls you over for it, just state the two law numbers, what ever they are, staing "visible from front, section blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah" and nothing covering it, "Section blah blah blah . blah blah blah sub part blah blah blah!!"

Or better yet carry a copy in your glove box so he can read it!!

There ya go!!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Launching!

thats what I'm going to do, I'm gonna print out what Jeane linked and keep it in my glove box lol. how much were your guys tickets for it if you dont mind me asking? and does it go on your record or anything?

Last edited by 00RedMaro; 12-11-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00RedMaro
thats what I'm going to do, I'm gonna print out what Jeane linked and keep it in my glove box lol. how much were your guys tickets for it if you dont mind me asking? and does it go on your record or anything?
My rear one not having a light was just a fix it ticket. I didn't pay it just put a 99 cent bulb in (this was years ago).

As far as the front plate it looks like it's 10 dollars according to that link right? Maybe someone can chime in who has gotten one....

If I ever do get pulled over for not having it I'm just gonna use the it fell off going to put it on now. and see what happens.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Teching In

LOL, that is awesome since i considered making a bracket that would mount it on the outside of my windshield.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Look at how many trucks, mainly tow trucks have it in the back glass. Same ****, sais you have to have one front and rear, doesnt state where.

I got a ticket for no front plate and told the officer it was in the windshield(it was in the tint), he didnt care. So, a cop can give you a ticket for whatever he wants, doesnt mean he was right.
Just FYI, most commercial vehicles (semi's and hot shot one tons) with apportioned plates are only issued one plate and they have to keep it on their front bumper because 99% of the time they are towing something. I would imagine tow trucks will fall into this category too.

I have been driving my M3 with no front plate since I bought it about 2 years ago (20k miles) and just last week I was finally pulled over for no front plate. The sherif gave me a warning and that was it. Honestly, if he would have given me a ticket I would have just paid it.... A good portion of ticket revenues go to the local school district so I consider it my donation to our future, LOL.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Just FYI, most commercial vehicles (semi's and hot shot one tons) with apportioned plates are only issued one plate and they have to keep it on their front bumper because 99% of the time they are towing something. I would imagine tow trucks will fall into this category too.

I have been driving my M3 with no front plate since I bought it about 2 years ago (20k miles) and just last week I was finally pulled over for no front plate. The sherif gave me a warning and that was it. Honestly, if he would have given me a ticket I would have just paid it.... A good portion of ticket revenues go to the local school district so I consider it my donation to our future, LOL.
You need to update that signature.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Me and several of my buddies put the plate on the passenger sunvisor and just flip it down when driving. None of us have ever had a problem, it is very visible.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't had an issue with either of my cars. I got pulled over once in the black T/A and the cop did a complete walk around of the car(I guess he was just checking out the car) and never mentioned the front plate. Like hell I was drilling a hole in my bumper either.

No problems with the red T/A either, it actually didn't even come with a front plate and I bought it from a dealer. As long as you drive right I don't see why you should have any issue.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could always just get a spare front license plate bracket off a wrecked car (preferably damaged), then mount your license plate to it and keep it inside the car. if you get pulled over, just say you're on your way back from the store or work (or wherever) and someone ran into your car and broke the license plate bracket off and you've got a new one on order, then show them the broken bracket with the plate mounted to it. could just get you a verbal or written warning.

if it doesn't work, you still have the undamaged stock one that you can put it back on and re-mount it.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonCajun
Dont know what is so funny. A bracket that was bolted to the cowl to allow the plate to sit right in front of the windshield and the mounting setup would be hidden by the hood.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badinfluencelsx
i thought there was a law passed in september that it wasnt required anymore? guess i misread something. ive got warnings for not having one a year ago but i dont have it in my window either, its on my floorboard visible to whoever rides in the back seat. tickets for it would be easily dismissed
that law didnt pass
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

i guess i've been lucky.... havent had mine on for bout two months
Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Teching In

5 cars and zero front plates.. ticketed once cause the cop was just bein a dick (pulled me over for speeding).. i took a picture of my car with the plate on and sent it in and it was dissmissed
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GulfM3

You got pulled over just for that? That sucks. But like the fact about the donation ha ha ha!

Originally Posted by Juicy J
You need to update that signature.
Yeah he does!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domsz06
putting it on the dash is just as illegal as not having one. I never run one, neither do my friends with corvettes. Either accept the fact that you may get harassed or don't mess with it. I could care less, it's just a "fix-it" ticket, no limit to how many you get and they are like 20 bucks.
this is correct. ive actually had better luck not running one at all on my car. the only time i put it on my dash i got pulled over. so i just dont have one anymore. i just have it on the floor in the back just in case i get hassled for it.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas twister
that law didnt pass
Ugh! Aren't we the ONLY southern state that still requires the front? I know NM and LA both dont... Time to buy some scrap land in NM near the TX border!!! Is it still 3m that's lobbying to keep them? NO ONE I know of likes the law!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

When I got a new plate plate for the Grocery Getter I only got one plate and it on the back.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
When I got a new plate plate for the Grocery Getter I only got one plate and it on the back.
um in TX? I just got mine tuesday and they gave me 2.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

yep in TX
Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
yep in TX
if it's a normal tag I'd be going back and asking. If they gave your other tag to someone else that could be an issue if they decide to get tickts/speed/etc... IDK maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd look into it if I was you.

Unless you got what GulfM3 said and got apportioned plates....