who can balance weld draglites for christ sake

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlh96T/A
my skinnies also shake around 60-70mph. i also have spacers which i think is the problem. i've worked at multiple tire stores, spacers are crap! first chance i get this winter i'm grinding my calipers down, it doesn't take much
If I only had a grinder. Can you rent one? I'll try anything at this point lol
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this same problem a while back when I went from street wheels to prostars. I thought it was a balance issue. It was not. I started trouble shooting and had the rotors resurfaced and checked the pads which checked out. After resurfacing my rotors the problem went away. The skinnies for some reason made the problem known because it wouldn't do it with the street wheels.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
I had this same problem a while back when I went from street wheels to prostars. I thought it was a balance issue. It was not. I started trouble shooting and had the rotors resurfaced and checked the pads which checked out. After resurfacing my rotors the problem went away. The skinnies for some reason made the problem known because it wouldn't do it with the street wheels.
+1, If it shakes worse when you hit the brakes (ESP @ HWY speeds) the the front rotors are warped period. And Yes, if the front rotors are warped bad enough it will feel like the tires are out of balance.

Don't listen to the one's yacking about spacers. I have run spacers on damn near every car I have owned with ZERO problems.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vcious04
+1, If it shakes worse when you hit the brakes (ESP @ HWY speeds) the the front rotors are warped period. And Yes, if the front rotors are warped bad enough it will feel like the tires are out of balance.

Don't listen to the one's yacking about spacers. I have run spacers on damn near every car I have owned with ZERO problems.
I let it slow way down before I applied the brakes after going 130. Would it not have done that with the bigger wheels and tires if the rotors were warped? I guess it has less to stop it now and it's more noticable if that's the case.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have just been one of the lucky ones to not have any problems. Everyone has there opinions...It will be funny if thats the issue and the tire companies fault.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agree'd. The skinny wheels and balancing are not the problem. Get the rotors resurfaced (oreilys charges $10 per rotor, pep boys charges $6 a rotor) and check the pads and it should get better if not fix it all together.

You just have to start trouble shooting one part at a time.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
I let it slow way down before I applied the brakes after going 130. Would it not have done that with the bigger wheels and tires if the rotors were warped? I guess it has less to stop it now and it's more noticable if that's the case.
My guess would be the tire/wheel size.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
Agree'd. The skinny wheels and balancing are not the problem. Get the rotors resurfaced (oreilys charges $10 per rotor, pep boys charges $6 a rotor) and check the pads and it should get better if not fix it all together.

You just have to start trouble shooting one part at a time.

Hope that helps.
k I'll have the rotors turned first. It's the cheapest and first step in yet another episode of going faster lol Thanks for all the input guys.. Time to down another one This day has pissed me off.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

k I'll have the rotors turned first. It's the cheapest and first step in yet another episode of going faster lol Thanks for all the input guys.. Time to down another one This day has pissed me off.
I know this sounds stupid, esp after having 2 tire shops look at the balance.

Rub your hand all the way around the tire (tread part) and feel if the tire tread has any high or low spots (internal seperation). TRUST me, alot of tire shops miss this.

Just another idea.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

I know this sounds stupid, esp after having 2 tire shops look at the balance.

Rub your hand all the way around the tire (tread part) and feel if the tire tread has any high or low spots (internal seperation). TRUST me, alot of tire shops miss this.

Just another idea.
Done. Nothing. Nice round and hard just like Jalo's ***. Now my hand is all dirty. Once again, just like Jalo's *** I'll start with the rotor thing in the morning with NTB. He said bring it back til we get it right and I already paid for a 4 wheel balance. We'll see.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Done. Nothing. Nice round and hard just like Jalo's ***. Now my hand is all dirty. Once again, just like Jalo's *** I'll start with the rotor thing in the morning with NTB. He said bring it back til we get it right and I already paid for a 4 wheel balance. We'll see.
That sucks Ed, hope they get you fixed up!

FYI, my wheel weights are stick on's, inside lip, none on outside.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

That sucks Ed, hope they get you fixed up!

FYI, my wheel weights are stick on's, inside lip, none on outside.
That's what I kept telling them. They look like **** on the outside. There is one on the front left and two on the front right now. Looks awful and if they scratch my wheels after hours of polishing, I'm going to kick somebody in the nuts. They tried so many combos it's almost funny. They had to ask me how many pounds of tq the welds down to. I don't work at the wheel and tire shop you asshat's. That's what I told them after hours of frustration. What is it by the way on the welds? lol Stock was 100 so I told them 85.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I kept telling them. They look like **** on the outside. There is one on the front left and two on the front right now. Looks awful and if they scratch my wheels after hours of polishing, I'm going to kick somebody in the nuts. They tried so many combos it's almost funny. They had to ask me how many pounds of tq the welds down to. I don't work at the wheel and tire shop you asshat's. That's what I told them after hours of frustration. What is it by the way on the welds? lol Stock was 100 so I told them 85.
Lol! Honestly, all the stupid **** they are talking about TQ settings is stupid.

Knock of those damn outside wheels weights and take it for a spin. They should balance decent with only inside weights.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ut oh, it's almost 9 o'clock! Time for my COD MW2 time, just unlocked my level 67 shot guns! YEAH!

Good luck Ed, you got my cell, hit me up sometime.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Lol! Honestly, all the stupid **** they are talking about TQ settings is stupid.

Knock of those damn outside wheels weights and take it for a spin. They should balance decent with only inside weights.
what do I use to take them off? My luck that might just work lol
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well depending on where you live i can take care of you. i have a lug centric roadforce machine at work that can balance anything. what kind of tires do you have on the skinnys? and btw those wheel weights are gonna scratch the wheels, they always do
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Teching In

It could always be the people balancing your stuff being utter morons. The negative about just doing a single stick on weight on your runners is you are only staticly balancing the wheel and tire which is just the up and down motion. By doing two weights that can be spaced far enough from each other on the two different planes of the wheel you knock out the balancing dynamicly wich is the side to side vibration you get in the steering wheel. If it turns out to be the wheels actually being out of balance, get someone who knows there stuff to do a single weight balance keeping in mind the dynamic and residual static, and if need be get the tire spun on the wheel to balance it out a lil better that way too. I just realised that was alot of jibber-jabber, just saying what I use to do at work when I would balance runners
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 they are going to scratch the wheel...

and those wheels and tire combo sucks because the wheel is sooo damn skinny it's hard to balance... i work at discount tire but down here in pearland (Houston)... after you do the whole brake thing and they still vibrate then re balance them to where they only put inside tack on weights not stick on, and see how that does the lug centric thing will help but is not that necessary... if that balance doesn't work then use just the stick on weights and not the tack on... the reason you use two sets of weights is because the wheel is so wide the weights on the right side balance out the left side and the left weights balance out the right side or something like that... let me go to hunters website and watch their balancing video and they explain the whole balancing process... if the wheel is not wide enough putting two sets of weights on just makes it worse...

if you lived down here i would have not problem doing them for you... if you have any more question then just ask me... and for the person that said a static weight does the up and down motion that is true in some cases, depends where you put the weight and a lot of the times that one weight will balance the tire...i balance after market 20's, 22's, 24's, 26's like that because of their off set and i have no vibration problems... just fyi
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Only_A6
It could always be the people balancing your stuff being utter morons. The negative about just doing a single stick on weight on your runners is you are only staticly balancing the wheel and tire which is just the up and down motion. By doing two weights that can be spaced far enough from each other on the two different planes of the wheel you knock out the balancing dynamicly wich is the side to side vibration you get in the steering wheel. If it turns out to be the wheels actually being out of balance, get someone who knows there stuff to do a single weight balance keeping in mind the dynamic and residual static, and if need be get the tire spun on the wheel to balance it out a lil better that way too. I just realised that was alot of jibber-jabber, just saying what I use to do at work when I would balance runners

+1 spinning the tire on the wheel can help the balance, if they have a ride match machine that would work wonders and if not just spin it 90 degrees and then 180 and see if that makes it worse or better... just some other ways to do things
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/vi...ndex2.cfm?v=15

here is the video of the hunter 9200 that we have at work but we also have a 9600 but i doubt they have they at ntb...

Quick Reply: who can balance weld draglites for christ sake