Anybody interested in Flight Training this 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What school is this? Would it be considered a public institution? Could I use the Hazlewood Act for it?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Westsidetrans242
My dream has always been to be a pilot. My Dad had a 172 til I was 8 and we would fly at least 2 times a week. I am about to graduate from Texas State with a Business Management Degree but We all know the economy sucks and I will probably not be getting a decent job. So I wanted to keep trucking with my education so my question is how much am I looking at getting my private to multi CFI at a FOB? Also whats the deal with the quick programs like ATP and Delta Academy? Also what is the likely hood of me getting a job in the aviation field as a pilot. I am on JetCareers.com all the time and I keep hearing the job market for pilots is pretty rough right now.
the job market is bad but it shows to be steadily improving. American Eagle recalled their furloughed pilots last month and there's rumors of future hiring dates this year. I'm just finishing up, working on my CFII here in San Antonio. So I will be instructing for awhile, which is all I want to do at this point anyway. As far as places like ATP and DCA, I would caution you against those places as the only thing "fast track" about them is the amount of debt you will get into. I wouldn't rule out ATPs comm multi add-on program though, seems to be a good deal. You could "fast track" with a local instructor who has the time/availability and save a ton of $$$. I'm on jetcareers.com as well. What is your sn?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DSIM
What school is this? Would it be considered a public institution? Could I use the Hazlewood Act for it?
It wouldn't be considered a public institution, even though we have a college affiliation. The college option is more so to get your discount since the classes don't actually go towards a two year or a four year.

Now if your looking for a Hazlewood option you can try San Jan in the laporte area. But be careful, they are affiliated with another school, which is an infamous 'aero academy' and costs are well above what you could consider an 'industry average'. Additionally, Hazlewood changed so wherein you could have gotten 100% expenses paid, now they only cover 60% training costs and your responsible for the other 40%. With the other school quoting 12K for private and instrument combined, (with real costs well exceeding that), it's not uncommon for you to still be out of pocket over what we charge, even with Hazlewood picking up the rest of the tab.

We get a lot of refugees from that school, guys who are well north of 10K in training and don't even have their private to show for it.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by at1024
the job market is bad but it shows to be steadily improving. American Eagle recalled their furloughed pilots last month and there's rumors of future hiring dates this year. I'm just finishing up, working on my CFII here in San Antonio. So I will be instructing for awhile, which is all I want to do at this point anyway. As far as places like ATP and DCA, I would caution you against those places as the only thing "fast track" about them is the amount of debt you will get into. I wouldn't rule out ATPs comm multi add-on program though, seems to be a good deal. You could "fast track" with a local instructor who has the time/availability and save a ton of $$$. I'm on jetcareers.com as well. What is your sn?

True, lot of talk about the flood gates opening back up in 2010, but **** that ****. I've already seen too many people get burned chasing after airline jobs. I'm in the Air Force ROTC right now trying to get a flight slot and if that doesn't work out, I'll just stick to career CFI, since that is showing potential for good income.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
True, lot of talk about the flood gates opening back up in 2010, but **** that ****. I've already seen too many people get burned chasing after airline jobs. I'm in the Air Force ROTC right now trying to get a flight slot and if that doesn't work out, I'll just stick to career CFI, since that is showing potential for good income.
Same here. I just want to instruct for now and then maybe try to get into corporate later on.