Getting car back on the road after sitting for 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting car back on the road after sitting for 2 years

Have owned this car for right at 4 years. Back 2 years ago I got in a bad spot & had to leave the car at my Grandfathers place. Only thing is that is sat out in the weather in a pasture in the open. I would go start the car every 3 months just to run the motor. As time has gone on the car will start. But i have to crank & crank the motor with the gas to the floor to get it to turn over & start. Once it is started I have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. When I put the car in gear it will die again. Also I havent started the car since October & now its cold.

Is it harmful to start a LS1 with a Brand New Longblock. TFS Heads & Fast90/90 & cam & headers after 3 months in this kind of cold weather.

I got a stock 4L60E trans that I am going to put in the car to get it road worthy so I can bring the car back home. The car is up on Jackstands with no rims or tires since its been stored. Can a 4L60 trans be dropped on jack stands with longtube headers.

Also any tips on things I should do before I get this thing back on the road. Its been forever since I have messed with this car is seems, Was thinking of changing the oil & putting in new plugs, Should I clean the fuel pump since I have the trap door mod on my car for the fuel pump & should I replace the Fuel Filter. I am sure the car sitting for 2 years with that gas even though I did add Fuel Stabelizer could have alot to do with it not idling on its own
Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

its about damn time!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Launching!

i'm pretty sure your gas just went bad after that long. i would drain the fuel tank, replace the filter, and just for good measure change the plugs while you're at it. i think that should get it going.

as far as starting it after that long, it's hard to say, really. you can drop that transmission on jackstands, but man it sucks. have fun, lol
Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
i'm pretty sure your gas just went bad after that long. i would drain the fuel tank, replace the filter, and just for good measure change the plugs while you're at it. i think that should get it going.

as far as starting it after that long, it's hard to say, really. you can drop that transmission on jackstands, but man it sucks. have fun, lol
Yeah I am going to do it on a 2 day period. Drop the trans one day & then go back in another week or two weeks & put the new trans in.

Any tips on dropping the transmisson on jackstands off my back with Long Tube headers. Im just worried it will be hard to drop with the Long Tubes. I guess I will have to un bolt it from the motor & slide it back & then drop it.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Launching!

I'm thinking so. A friend and I dropped my A4 out of my car with long tubes on it, so it can be done. The only difference is we had a lift and a transmission stand to drop it on, so it was easy. I know when it came out, Chad had dropped the transmission crossbrace in back to let the engine tilt back a little so it's easier to reach those top bolts with some long extensions, but i'm not sure how easy that will be on the ground
Old 01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since it is hard to keep idling and quick to die once you put it in gear you might also check your MAF to make sure its still working right. If it has a problem the car will be a pain to do anything with until you get a new one.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KingSS
Since it is hard to keep idling and quick to die once you put it in gear you might also check your MAF to make sure its still working right. If it has a problem the car will be a pain to do anything with until you get a new one.
I had a New Mass Air Flow Sensor put on the car back when Chuck at HP Tuned the car. But really never got a chance to enjoy the car cause the trans went out. Didnt really notice the car having a problem staying idling till about a year ago when I would put the trans in reverse & it would just die. But Mas Air Flow does make sense. Is there a way to test it out
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm got money to get your car running again but no money to settle your debts?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by daniel6718
214-779-7278, Call when your ready to get it
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Any tips to prevent that cold start so I dont mess anything up with the oil & making sure everything is lubed up since the car has been sitting in this cold weather & sure the oil in it is sludge
Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

disconnect ignition system and turn it over,keep a battery charger on the batt.
thats what i do to my car.
pm coming at ya.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Trans is not that hard to drop on jack stands. I would always get the front as high as I could and set the rears on ramps. Its a little tight but definatly can be done. Leave the tranny bolted to motor and put jack under tranny. loosen the tranny crossmember and let tranny down slowly. get about 2-3 feet fo extentions and this will get the top bolts easy. Then jack up and get the remaining bolts. Might want to get a swivel socket. The swivel extention will work but the swivel socket give a little more room for the bolts on each side of the tranny against the tranny tunnel. You will have to start dropping the tranny before going back to soon since the tunnel starts to get smaller. Used to do mine on jackstands in the driveway, with a floor jack by myself. Once you do i a few times, its like cake.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SEB
I had a New Mass Air Flow Sensor put on the car back when Chuck at HP Tuned the car. But really never got a chance to enjoy the car cause the trans went out. Didnt really notice the car having a problem staying idling till about a year ago when I would put the trans in reverse & it would just die. But Mas Air Flow does make sense. Is there a way to test it out
What kind of MAF was it? Was it bigger then stock? If not then just slap a stock one on to see if it works better or not. You could always check the wiring to the maf to make sure its still getting power.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by daniel6718
He is never going to pay you. Just like he will never pay me. he owes me $400.00. but oh well some people are just worthless trash
Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

i would put a can of red bull in the gas cab and a 5hr energy shot in the oil. should fire right up.

Jerry

Quick Reply: Getting car back on the road after sitting for 2 years