UTI Collision Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will learn more working in someones shop. Probably learn a few tricks of the trade too.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

When I was a mechanic we called everyone from UTI (Un Trained Idiots) and started them off changing oil. They didnt get paid anymore than anyone else either.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Well at UTI you get to take I-CAR tests and ASE tests. ASE doesnt really matter any more but I-CAR means everything if you are first starting out. I think i have figured out how the technical school programs work and I believe i can succeed in UTI. I am young and i will only be 19 when i graduate from UTI so i have many years to still get more education. I just graduated high school today.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Launching!

forget about uti sell drugs uti is worthless i went there for mechanics and i made less at an acura dealership then the damn 16 yr old receptionist. its nice to know how to work on your own cars but being a mechanic for work is horrible hard work for **** money. **** that.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Congratulations on graduating HS. I-CAR isn't a test, it's training, with a post test to make sure you were paying attention. They give you a training path, and you take tests from that path to help you along. You don't have to be a tech to attend classes; you just have to pay for them if you were going to do it independently. If you are working at a shop, the shop will usually cover the cost of the class. ASE is a test of your knowledge; it requires work experience (some of which can be substituted with schooling). I am not trying to sissuade you from going to school, but $34K seems a little steep for something you could learn probably as well (or better) with on the job training. All you need is to show a prospective employer that you want to learn, and have enough get up and go to do so. If you paid enough attention, you could probably learn a lot by being a porter in a body shop, and working your way up.

I have worked in body shops since I was a kid. I started prepping cars for my uncle whan I was 12. I did go to college, to try to do something else, but ended up dropping out, and have been in the business since. I was a bodyman through college as well. I can't say I would do anything any different, as it was all a learning experience. Whatever is right for you, do that. I am just trying to give you some insight. Honestly, ince you are out of school now, try getting a job in your uncle's shop, just to see if you even like it.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jon05CTSV
Congratulations on graduating HS. I-CAR isn't a test, it's training, with a post test to make sure you were paying attention. They give you a training path, and you take tests from that path to help you along. You don't have to be a tech to attend classes; you just have to pay for them if you were going to do it independently. If you are working at a shop, the shop will usually cover the cost of the class. ASE is a test of your knowledge; it requires work experience (some of which can be substituted with schooling). I am not trying to sissuade you from going to school, but $34K seems a little steep for something you could learn probably as well (or better) with on the job training. All you need is to show a prospective employer that you want to learn, and have enough get up and go to do so. If you paid enough attention, you could probably learn a lot by being a porter in a body shop, and working your way up.

I have worked in body shops since I was a kid. I started prepping cars for my uncle whan I was 12. I did go to college, to try to do something else, but ended up dropping out, and have been in the business since. I was a bodyman through college as well. I can't say I would do anything any different, as it was all a learning experience. Whatever is right for you, do that. I am just trying to give you some insight. Honestly, ince you are out of school now, try getting a job in your uncle's shop, just to see if you even like it.
Well my uncle is in Tyler and I am in Dallas so thats not exactly possible. I am gonna go up to a few dealerships today and talk to some people about getting on as a shop helper.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2fast97Z
I went to UTI but not for Collison. i paid 35k for AUTO/DIESEL. I had the same kind of experiences the other guy did, half of the courses are worthless to anyone that knows how to put brakes on. The other half most people will probably learn alot. Honestly kind of sucked for me considering i already knew alot and had already torn down and replaced motors and done some electrical things. Also greatwhite talking about meeting some interesting characters is so true. You meet some WIERD *** kids. i cant even explain some people i met there haha. and the ricer scene is just plain funny. The only big thing that i didnt like about UTI is they said that they really help you to try and find a job. well honestly they didnt really help me at all. All they do is give you a list of people and you have to do everything else. so honestly its like Monster inside of the UTI office. I graduated with a 3.9GPA and i searched for 6 months for a dealership job and found absolutely nothing. I ended up getting a job for Bridgestone/Firestone and worked there for 3 years. I made decent money for being at Firestone but only because i busted *** and flagged nothing less than 90 hours a week. After that 3 years i started applying at places again and now currently work for Park Place Lexus and love it. they are an amazing company to work for. So even though i was on the mechanic side i could think that it would be the same way in the collision side.
Andy!! my UIT bother lol whats up man!! don't froget the bad *** partys we had lol

I got out found a pretty good job at dealership, as a estimator made 44k the first year right out of school. This year I should hit right around 60k if the work keeps coming in like it is
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Training at UTI-Is it worth it?

My son spent the better part of two years in the UTI program. He worked his way through the Auto Tech course, the Ford Fact program and eventually was chosen to participate in the Volkswagen Advanced Training. He finished his school career graduating at the top of his class because of his hard work and many opportunities were easily accessable to him.

When he entered the work place (at a Volkswagen dealer in the area) he was making close to $20 per hour. Not bad for a 21 year old straight out of school, in my opinion. The dealership paid for his Volkswagen training in exchange for one year of paid employment with them (another perk along the way.)

Now, he is moving out of state and has been offered an even higher rate of pay with traveling expenses to move. He will be making upwards of $23-25 per hour with the opportunity to have full benefits, etc. (Still only 22 years old.) Still say it can't happen?

Well, I have to say, he has put in the effort to make it happen. Day in and day out, he had a good work ethic (at his job and at school), good attendance, he worked for the grades he got, and traveled back and forth to classes at all hours of the morning and evening because we lived 40 minutes away. But it's has paid off. And to UTI's credit they gave a 20 year old young man who was not familiar with the mechanical field except to change oil and a few other minor things the skills to do all of the above.

For those of you who say it can't happen, I would disagree. It can happen and it did in our case. For others of you wondering if it's worth the effort to try the program or if it will pay off for you, I would encourage you to do the very best you can in the program and follow my son's example. I think he got it right on this one.

Regardless of what others do, put in your time, make the grades, be consistant, responsible and work hard if this is a field you are interested in. Let UTI hook you up with an employer when you're done with the program and if at all possible get the advanced training...it really helps. Your hard work and effort will return to you in great measure.

If you are lazy, haphazard, irresponsible or want something for nothing...forget it. UTI is not for you. The program gives real skills to real people (those willing to do the hard work to learn them.) If that's you, congratulations. You've just joined a group of young men (and women) with the potential to have a good career and make a great future for themselves.

If it's not you, admit it and reconsider your way of doing things because UTI is not the issue. If it can happen for others, it can happen for you too. And I would hate to see you miss out on an opportunity to really excel because it is possible. I can tell you from personal experience that's true.

UTI training is one of those things.... you get out of it what you put in! Hope you choose to be one of those that are determined to put into it what is needed to succeed.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by minimeminiu
My son spent the better part of two years in the UTI program. He worked his way through the Auto Tech course, the Ford Fact program and eventually was chosen to participate in the Volkswagen Advanced Training. He finished his school career graduating at the top of his class because of his hard work and many opportunities were easily accessable to him.

When he entered the work place (at a Volkswagen dealer in the area) he was making close to $20 per hour. Not bad for a 21 year old straight out of school, in my opinion. The dealership paid for his Volkswagen training in exchange for one year of paid employment with them (another perk along the way.)

Now, he is moving out of state and has been offered an even higher rate of pay with traveling expenses to move. He will be making upwards of $23-25 per hour with the opportunity to have full benefits, etc. (Still only 22 years old.) Still say it can't happen?

Well, I have to say, he has put in the effort to make it happen. Day in and day out, he had a good work ethic (at his job and at school), good attendance, he worked for the grades he got, and traveled back and forth to classes at all hours of the morning and evening because we lived 40 minutes away. But it's has paid off. And to UTI's credit they gave a 20 year old young man who was not familiar with the mechanical field except to change oil and a few other minor things the skills to do all of the above.

For those of you who say it can't happen, I would disagree. It can happen and it did in our case. For others of you wondering if it's worth the effort to try the program or if it will pay off for you, I would encourage you to do the very best you can in the program and follow my son's example. I think he got it right on this one.

Regardless of what others do, put in your time, make the grades, be consistant, responsible and work hard if this is a field you are interested in. Let UTI hook you up with an employer when you're done with the program and if at all possible get the advanced training...it really helps. Your hard work and effort will return to you in great measure.

If you are lazy, haphazard, irresponsible or want something for nothing...forget it. UTI is not for you. The program gives real skills to real people (those willing to do the hard work to learn them.) If that's you, congratulations. You've just joined a group of young men (and women) with the potential to have a good career and make a great future for themselves.

If it's not you, admit it and reconsider your way of doing things because UTI is not the issue. If it can happen for others, it can happen for you too. And I would hate to see you miss out on an opportunity to really excel because it is possible. I can tell you from personal experience that's true.

UTI training is one of those things.... you get out of it what you put in! Hope you choose to be one of those that are determined to put into it what is needed to succeed.
This thread is about a year old now but thank you! Im in the process of probably starting at a shop and in the past year i just decided to move up in the company i was already in. Hopefully in the next year i can really develop my body and painting skills.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by minimeminiu

yea you sound like one of those dumb *** UTI reps that came to our high school and said the exact same ****... well guess what i graduated with 3.98 GPA with 99 percent pro. and 99 percent attendance and i dont work on cars 60 percent of my friends from UTI dont work in the field UTI "trained" them for, i got a buddy that graduated from BMW with honors and he now works at discount tire you can say what you want that school is OVERPRICED for the education they provide and in texas you dont get any type of degree in other states UTI offers degrees for the same program but if you go to school in texas you get a certificate of completion from UTI.

This is probably one of the UTI reps that found this site and decided to register a name.

Quick Reply: UTI Collision Repair