Just Graduated....Need a Job (Petroleum Geology)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just Graduated....Need a Job (Petroleum Geology)

I posted this in the Carreer section of SSU but since I kinda want to stay in the eastern or southern portion of Texas, I figured I would post it here too. I also figured some of you guys may be in the petroleum field and could offer some insight.

I just graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in Geology. I have been applying for jobs just about every day for the past month. I really want a job in the petroleum exploration and production industry. I have applied to positions in mud logging, measurement while drilling, perforation, and other services. The companies I have tried are weatherford, schlumberger, bj services, baker hughes, halliburton and a few small companies I have found on Monster.com and Carreerbuilder.com.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other companies to apply to? I know the oilfield has been slow but it seems to be picking up?

Does anyone have any insight on how Human Resources people work? Are they pretty slow?

I have applied to over 30 positions and havent heard a word on any of them and I know I'm qualified for them as they are all entry level positions. I want some experience and I am a hard worker. How can I get a company to bite?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Just like I posted on SSU...

www.rigzone.com

EDIT: Just saw your reply there. Go for the gusto, dont limit yourself. Apply for anything and everything, no matter the experience level. As Forrest Gump said: "You neva know what ya gonna get."
Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Sexy Party Mod

lol. Yeah. I replied to that one. I posted my resume there. I wasnt able to apply anywhere over there because there aren't any entry level positions open. DOH!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

Have you tried Marathon Oil, Century Exploration, Chevron, Devon Energy? Those all have offices local to us. There are others but I can't remember them all. Jobs like this take time and it only helps if you know somebody there. Just keep at it and giving professional interviews until you get one.

Vernon
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget about cameron, green tweed, and hell maybe even you could get something at helix!

i know its tough right now beaujob....trust me i applied for literally around 60 jobs and was seriously contacted/got second or third round interviews by no more than 10...only ended up with 3 offers; that was after months of applying.

good luck man and don't give up as hard as it is to keep on applying

-Karl
Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Have you looked at Stallion Oil Services? What about MWD... looked into that field?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know what you want to do, and you know where you want to do it. Start dropping directly to the companies. A lot of them do not post many or even any jobs they would hire if the right person came along, and just have an HR email to drop to. Start going to events in your area if there are some, like YPE meetings.

Here are some off the top of my head, mostly by ticker symbol:

XOM
LINN
NOV
ME
BP
CHK
SWN
Compete production
El Paso
Samson
Diamond offshore
Seahawk Drilling
Cobalt
Woodside
BHP Billiton
Basic Energy Services
Key Energy
Challenger Minerals
St. Mary Land & Exploration
MacMoRan
Goldston Oil
Highmount Resources
Swift Energy
Maritech
GE Oil & Gas

COP

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I will think of more later, or you can PM me. Check the IPAA website (www.ipaa.org) for postings as well. If you see a job on their internal site and an aggregator, use their internal site.

Edit:
Shell
Noble Energy
Rosetta Resources

Last edited by lo_jack; 01-15-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

I'll tell your right now that the exploration field is hard to get a job in right now. They are not hiring many, and you are also competing against people with expierence since so many people lost their jobs.

I'm not sure this is the case for all big companies, but our company will post a job for 30 days. you won't hear anything for at least 60 as they don't reply to anything in the first 30, then takes them 30 more to go through them. (you would not belive the 1000's of resumes that come in for these jobs.)

Give it time, keep applying and good luck!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DSIM
Just like I posted on SSU...

www.rigzone.com

EDIT: Just saw your reply there. Go for the gusto, dont limit yourself. Apply for anything and everything, no matter the experience level. As Forrest Gump said: "You neva know what ya gonna get."
they preffer to have a minimum of 5 years experience on that site.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

as I found out, (B.S. geology @ UT c/o 08) the oil job will prefere two things:

work exp OR masters degree.

I ended up getting a position as a geolgist for an environmental consulting company. Not oil money (yet) but I do well and this is a job that has great security (something not generally found in the ups and downs of the oil industry).
Old 01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

I am going to help you out here. Most majors that you are looking at expect you to transfer. Everytime you tell one you wont relocate you are going to limit yourself out. Also you might have to accept a job somewhere else work 3-5 years and then move to where you want to be. If you are worth a damn at what you do they will get you to where you want to be. oilfield=travel. Dont ever expect to make it in one place unless you find a good small company to work for and most of the time they hire people from the major companies that they dont have to teach anything. FYI
Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rabiddog
I am going to help you out here. Most majors that you are looking at expect you to transfer. Everytime you tell one you wont relocate you are going to limit yourself out. Also you might have to accept a job somewhere else work 3-5 years and then move to where you want to be. If you are worth a damn at what you do they will get you to where you want to be. oilfield=travel. Dont ever expect to make it in one place unless you find a good small company to work for and most of the time they hire people from the major companies that they dont have to teach anything. FYI
Nicely said! I forgot about that! I move every 1.5-2 years. ( really don't care either.)
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for Beau. I have met him in person and he is a clean cut well spoken young man. If you or someone you know can get him in to place I do not think he would let you down. Best of luck. Vince
Old 01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Yeah hes alright I suppose for a backwoods deer huntin redneck. Bump for you man, good luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard of some service companies starting to hire again, but most are in a holding pattern. You gotta realize a lot of people got let go in 09, things are starting to pick back up though, your going to have to give it a few months.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Thanks Vince and Cody for the kind words.

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |

I ended up getting a position as a geolgist for an environmental consulting company. Not oil money (yet) but I do well and this is a job that has great security (something not generally found in the ups and downs of the oil industry).
When I started this post, I was really hoping you would post. I knew you had graduated UT with a Geology degree (focus in Hydrogeology right?). You were a year or two ahead of me and I was curious if you got in. I hear you on the Environmental route. I was thinking about it but there arent too many of those companies that are hiring (that I've seen).

Originally Posted by rabiddog
Copy that. I really want to stay in Texas but I don't really care one way or another if I dont. A fresh new place could be fun too. I will go sit on a rig in the gulf tomorrow without a question asked.

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I have heard of some service companies starting to hire again, but most are in a holding pattern. You gotta realize a lot of people got let go in 09, things are starting to pick back up though, your going to have to give it a few months.
With my BS, I can really only hope for a service company or a small oil company to hire me. The big oil companies all require at least a Masters. DOH! I want to get a masters but I'm sooo burned out on school these past 5 years that I'm done for now. Give it a few years and I'll want to go back to school.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Default Job

Well I do feel all that was said was true. I work for Halliburton and I know right now in our division we are looking for field hands. It does take them along time to do stuff. If you go to the field you will travel. I know the Northeast( Pennsylvania area) is booming so companies are trying to get new locations up there) But like the others said alot of companies did massive lay offs and even shut down entire locations. So the competition is out there. Traveling you are always well taken care of and its almost always worth your while.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Thanks Vince and Cody for the kind words.

When I started this post, I was really hoping you would post. I knew you had graduated UT with a Geology degree (focus in Hydrogeology right?). You were a year or two ahead of me and I was curious if you got in. I hear you on the Environmental route. I was thinking about it but there arent too many of those companies that are hiring (that I've seen).

Copy that. I really want to stay in Texas but I don't really care one way or another if I dont. A fresh new place could be fun too. I will go sit on a rig in the gulf tomorrow without a question asked.

With my BS, I can really only hope for a service company or a small oil company to hire me. The big oil companies all require at least a Masters. DOH! I want to get a masters but I'm sooo burned out on school these past 5 years that I'm done for now. Give it a few years and I'll want to go back to school.

yeah, i'll post some more tonight, hopefully it will give some insight. Hope your job hunt goes well.

and you're correct. B.S. hydrogeo.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |

Just curious, what Env. Consulting company did you go to?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Just curious, what Env. Consulting company did you go to?
I work for an extremely small one, Incontrol Technologies.

Incontroltech.com, pretty shitty website LOL, but from what I have heard from others, we are one of the better companies out there. Absolutely love working for them and they have treated me pretty good.

on the flip side, i'm not making "oil" money, but I like that i'm mainly here M-F 9-5, and there are no up and down years.