Moving to Lackland....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Lackland....

So it looks like the Airforce is sending us to Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I know nothing of the area nor what the car scene is like. What should I expect?

What kind of emmision laws, tint laws, registration, inspection, family entertainment, crime, am I getting into?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a link to our little club www.sanantoniof-body.com
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alex41
So it looks like the Airforce is sending us to Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I know nothing of the area nor what the car scene is like. What should I expect?

What kind of emmision laws, tint laws, registration, inspection, family entertainment, crime, am I getting into?

damn lucky *** ****!!! wish i was still there. the car scene is pretty good out there. definitely a bunch of fbodies and stuff out there.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

EXCUSE ME? Thanks for the update!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Restricted User

Thanks for the update ******.

Looks like we will be ~3.5 hours away from each other.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the update ******.

Looks like we will be ~3.5 hours away from each other.

And there is the worst part of moving right there.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

The area that is around Lackland is pretty ghetto, I wouldn't recommend living close by. My dad was stationed there about 10-15 yrs ago. But we lived a good 30-45min from the base.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Well we are getting ready to have our house packed up on Friday, shipped out on Monday, and will be driving there on Wed. Man did time ever fly.

I really don't know where we will be living just yet. We want base housing but the people aren't being very cooperative over the phone so we'll see when we get there. If that doesn't work we may be looking to rent a place for a year or so. Does any one have any suggestions as to where to look or maybe even know of a nice place WITH A GARAGE to rent?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Well we are getting ready to have our house packed up on Friday, shipped out on Monday, and will be driving there on Wed. Man did time ever fly.

I really don't know where we will be living just yet. We want base housing but the people aren't being very cooperative over the phone so we'll see when we get there. If that doesn't work we may be looking to rent a place for a year or so. Does any one have any suggestions as to where to look or maybe even know of a nice place WITH A GARAGE to rent?
It would be better for you if you stayed in MS.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Again...The worst part of moving to TX right there.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned

Again...The worst part of moving to TX right there.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Texas emmision laws, tint laws, registration, inspection will not apply if you keep your car registered in MS.

Crime is all over the place.

family entertainment is the same as Biloxi but instead of 1 mall, you have more than one. SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas and the German Wet road park.

Instead of brown sea water, you now have brown fresh water....
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

I can help if you want a apartment with a garage. If you are lloking for a house jsut use rent.com to get in contact with a realtor.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Lackland isn't the nicest part of town but you're only 20 minutes away from Six Flags Fiesta Texas, La Cantera/The Rim, and about an hour south of the largest waterpark in the U.S. as well as a very popular river that people drive from all around to float for 2-3 hours. The car scene has always been better on base it seems, SA isn't near as big as Houston or DFW for fast cars.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

When i move to dripping springs you will only be about 2 hours away.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We just moved to SA from Maxwell AFB, AL, but we work on Randolph which is the better part of town. We found our rental home with a garage on www.ahrn.com BUT Texas does not know what a double car garage is...this one can only fit one car! We have 2 F-bodies so it sucks we can't use it as a double car which is what it's suppose to be. So go look at the garage first we didn't get a chance b/c the moving truck got here before we did and we had to find a place quick! Moved out of our house on Thursday moving truck met up with us on Monday to move us in. Fastest I have moved ever!

There is a huge car scene here, more then Biloxi or Montgomery had to offer.
Dunno about emissions here but I know there is no state tax on your LES so switch it to Texas. Tags here depend on the kind of car you drive.

Took us a while to get here from AL, I'm sure MS will be a little shorter for you but not by much, and don't peg your car out going over the bridges in LA...the cops sit out there too trust me I know. ;-)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be packing up the computer tonight so I won't be able to post until we get there and find a computer to use on base while we go house hunting. See you soon. Alex.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh don't leave your **** in a Hotel parking lot. Keep it on base.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM

i live like 10 minutes from the base and actually work on base at the minimall at a subway ha
Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to SA