Had my T/A appraised today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are just hoping you get so emotionally attached to the G8 that you give them the T/A, not to mention they'll make even more off you with whatever financing they give you. They'll probably turn around and try to sell it for $7500 or so to somebody who test drives it and gets emotionally attached to it. Car dealers are psychologists, they make money on people who fall in love with a particular car. Even though I know how it works I still overpaid for my car to a dealer, but I can't complain too much, I love the car and it hasn't given me any issues.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

swap me hoods before you trade it in
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its standard operating procedure to offer about half of what your car is actually worth. That way they can sale it for a 50% profit.

Also, the G8 GT was NOT $25k new. It started around $31k. However, they are asking too much for it but that is what negotiation is for.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

what your car is worth to them and what your car is worth to enthusiasts are totally different things. while we know the intrinsic value of your car, they see it as just that...a car. not only that, but its a dealership, so they always lowball on trade ins. i didnt catch the mileage but your car is prob worth more in the 6-8 range if i had to guess...its funny though, because my car was valued at over 4 and its an old beat up lt1 lol
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea cause my old 98 camaro ss was valued a $4,500 and it was soo messed up no a/c chipped front bumber torn seat and 150k+ miles on it lol. i wonder how much they will give me now for my 01 ss with 50k miles. i bought it 07 with 33k for $15k
Old 02-07-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the dealerships always give low offers. When I was shopping around for my T/A everyone I went to offered me anywhere between 800-1300 for my Z28.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

KBB is a crock of crap, Dealers look at what aucton prices are not KBB, next time U go into a dealer with a KBB sheet showing what KBB shows what your value is worth and they dont take it, call KBB and have them buy your car...see how that works out
KBB doesnt buy cars
Old 02-07-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

A seller can't expect a buyer to pay for emotional attachment or intrinsic value. Try and find a bank that will loan $8K on a 10 year old car. Not gonna happen.

G8s were introduced at $31K and some dealerships were marking them up to around $35K. Then the bottom fell out of the market and they were being sold for $25K.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
A seller can't expect a buyer to pay for emotional attachment or intrinsic value. Try and find a bank that will loan $8K on a 10 year old car. Not gonna happen.

G8s were introduced at $31K and some dealerships were marking them up to around $35K. Then the bottom fell out of the market and they were being sold for $25K.
Yeah, it was towards the end of the road that they dropped to $25k. I was looking at maybe getting one towards the end of the production. I was on G8board.com and everyone said they were getting them around $25k.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Let me guess: You stopped by Strictland Chevrolet because they've had that orange Challenger and Black G8 sitting out on the road. I've driven by there, also. We bought one car from Strictland, but never again. Very disappointed with their Service Dept.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Let me guess: You stopped by Strictland Chevrolet because they've had that orange Challenger and Black G8 sitting out on the road. I've driven by there, also. We bought one car from Strictland, but never again. Very disappointed with their Service Dept.
Yup .. Couldn't help myself, wanted to check the G8 out. The Challenger sure had some nice seats.

Speaking of which I took a tour of the service dept. as a field trip type thing at school, I can't believe they told us all the **** they did to rack up the bill, but that is how they make money. Some real ******** back there too. We were looking at the computer and a damn socket comes soaring by..
Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Not sure how many cars you have bought but going into the dealership with Kbb says my car is worth this or this other one says its worth this...doesn't work. They almost never go with this option. I think using these sites as a private party sell would work better.
Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
KBB is a crock of crap, Dealers look at what aucton prices are not KBB, next time U go into a dealer with a KBB sheet showing what KBB shows what your value is worth and they dont take it, call KBB and have them buy your car...see how that works out
KBB doesnt buy cars
where did i say that you should go into a dealership with a KBB printout, or even mention to them that i know what KBB rates as the value of your car?

you can just use KBB to get a general feel for what the car is worth, but you should always use your own negotiation skills to REALLY get what you want for it, and if you don't.....walk away.