Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

So I have been trying to avoid getting a front license plate for my hawk. After being pulled over and given a warning my state troopers twice, I fear the next time I do I am going to get a ticket. I don't want to put one on my dash, what can I do?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Just wait till u get a ticket. Put the plate on. Take a picture. Take it to court and get it dissmised that works just fine. I haven't had one for like 5 years and no problem yet haha. Just once but said it got stolen along with my grill or that I got in a wreck and it broke.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Launching!

stay behind someone. lol i havent had a problem with not having one
Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a quieter exhaust...
Old 02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Just put it on there for a while. yeah its not pretty, but you gatta have one.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the things you lick that stick on flat surfaces. I really wished I could remember what they were called. I used them for the 4 holes on the plate and stuck it to the windshield on the inside on my last car.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

nebraska is the same way. have to have the front plate. gay i know but what you gunna do about. put on or get a ticket..
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd be careful about putting the front plate in your windshield.

This past summer I got pulled over for no front plate, I mentioned that it was in my dash. He said that is not where it was supposed to be, and then decided to check my tint (Limo at the time). He gave me a ticket for no front plate, and my tint being 2 dark. 1 wk later, the same state trooper pulled me over and gave me the same tickets. I went home, tore the tint off, and put my front plate on. Its not worth it.

PS, the judge wouldn't dismiss the plate ticket after showing that I put one on.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get some hinges from home depot and mount the plate to the plastic valance under the core support, that way while ur driving down the road or go over a speed bump it will not knock it off.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badinfluencelsx
stay behind someone. lol i havent had a problem with not having one
Drafting (slipstreaming) is a good idea. It won't let the cops know you don't have front plate and you get better gas mileage.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28

This past summer I got pulled over for no front plate, I mentioned that it was in my dash. He said that is not where it was supposed to be, and then decided to check my tint (Limo at the time). He gave me a ticket for no front plate, and my tint being 2 dark. 1 wk later, the same state trooper pulled me over and gave me the same tickets. I went home, tore the tint off, and put my front plate on. Its not worth it.

PS, the judge wouldn't dismiss the plate ticket after showing that I put one on.
yea i that sucks because the police officer and judge were in the wrong there. in Texas the way the law is written is that the plate has to be VISIBLE from the front of the vehicle, it does not say anything about being mounted on the front of the vehicle. i have never gotten a ticket yet and i have my plate on my Trans Am and my truck in my windshields on the pass side. ive been pulled over a few times for other odds and ends and have yet to have anyone give me a hard time about it.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mount it on your lower air damn, drill two holes in the plate, with two bolts ans nuts and your finished.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kamaa150
yea i that sucks because the police officer and judge were in the wrong there. in Texas the way the law is written is that the plate has to be VISIBLE from the front of the vehicle, it does not say anything about being mounted on the front of the vehicle. i have never gotten a ticket yet and i have my plate on my Trans Am and my truck in my windshields on the pass side. ive been pulled over a few times for other odds and ends and have yet to have anyone give me a hard time about it.
Sorry, but you are wrong here. Not only does it have to be visible but readable as well. The other problem you run in to, it is a different violation to have anything blocking any part of your view in the front windshield with the exception of a rear view mirror. Most times someone has it sitting on their dash, it is unreadable. It is either lying alomst flat on its back, or it behind a windshield wiper.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I get pulled over for no plate on the front, I am going to tell the Officer that if I am gonna run, it ain't gonna to be in reverse.

So far the police officers in my area are a little busy and not worried about little ****.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

FWIW, Between my Lightning and Trans AM, I've been pulled over roughly 15 times for no front plate. Even by the same person a couple times and I STILL haven't got a ticket. All warnings.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

lol cops just pull u over for the no plate as and excuse to try to find something else they can give u a ticket for. oh and nothing on the plate can be blocked especialy not where it says texas
Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Get a quieter exhaust...
i have a stock quiet exhaust, and i've been pulled over twice for no front plate in the last 6 months. (luckily got a warning both times)

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28

This past summer I got pulled over for no front plate, I mentioned that it was in my dash. He said that is not where it was supposed to be,
the TXDPS website clearly states that the mounting location and method is 'undefined'. it just says the plate as to be on the 'front'. of the car. to me, windshield qualifies as the 'front'. its on the front half of the vehicle, it faces frontwards, and is visible from the front.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/insp_faq.htm
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...02.htm#502.404

this is quite debatable... as the cops want an easy target for laser.
the most recent revision to the law states that you cannot cover the plate in a way that makes it harder to read... says nothing about a clear cover (glass windshield)
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/SB00369F.pdf

Originally Posted by old_goat
Drafting (slipstreaming) is a good idea. It won't let the cops know you don't have front plate and you get better gas mileage.
...until you get a ticket for tailgating.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that would suck. I would probably risk the ticket if i lived in a front plate area. at least on an LS1 car you can put the plate on without doing physical damage to the bumper. i'd have to drill holes and mount an ugly *** plate holder on mine to run a front plate and i'd never do it. i hope that part is discontinued now from GM because that would be a legtiimate excuse for not running a front plate.

"sorry officer but the front plate holder for my car is discontinued so thats why it's in the windshield"
Old 02-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
that would suck. I would probably risk the ticket if i lived in a front plate area. at least on an LS1 car you can put the plate on without doing physical damage to the bumper. i'd have to drill holes and mount an ugly *** plate holder on mine to run a front plate and i'd never do it. i hope that part is discontinued now from GM because that would be a legtiimate excuse for not running a front plate.

"sorry officer but the front plate holder for my car is discontinued so thats why it's in the windshield"
If there is no provision to mount a front plate, it is not required. If you have to drill a hole, you dont have to install it.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an SSR and it never came with another plate...just 1 for the back and ive only got hit with speeding tickets in it...but my cuzn is a state trooper and he said you need one in the front just have it in the winshield if u can he says he pulls over a ton of corvettes all the time and just gives em warnings..they are mainly looking for drugs and thats little **** to a Trooper

Quick Reply: Front License Plate