Aluminum Engine vs Steel LS Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6.0 Iron blocks are a pretty good way to go. They are about 70 lbs heavier then the aluminum stocker but these are f-bodies we are talking about here, they weigh 3800 lbs to begin with. Iron blocks have a bigger bore allowing for a 4xx stroker, grreat way to go for some extra torque and power. IMO there is a lot more potential in a 6.0 iron block then there is a stock ls1 aluminum. Now if you are talking LS2 aluminum thats a different story, but they are typically a decent amount more expensive.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 AM
Teching In

if u have a chance to get a iron block and its at a good price just do it.. dont waste ur time with oh it weighs XX(X) amount more...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Why does everyone have to be an *** on theses threads. No sh*t he was talking about an iron block, just because he doesn't call it the way you want doesn't mean he's wrong...we all understood what he was talking about but you wanted to be the smart as* to the guy.
That's not what he wants to call it, that's what it is. Even though both metals are ferrous, steel is not the same as iron. It's as if someone says their LS1 is a 350.

Originally Posted by andy1h2004
I have a 1998 Trans-am that I need to replace a blown engine; I have an opportunity to put a steel (heavier engine) that would put out more HP or a regular stock engine....Which is better; what are the advantages and disadantages?

Thanks
You'll probably be able to pick up the 6.0L shortblock a lot cheaper than the LS1/6 shortblock, plus it will likely make more power, or at least have the potential to, with the same modifications.

I would go with the 6.0L.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by daniel6718
jam a rod into an iron block and see what happens

btw hows the car running?
lol, ill pass on trying that.

The car is running great, you guys did one hell of a job on it!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=dgcustomz;12895446]
Originally Posted by 00fastta

Again, you are still being a smart as* by trying to educate someone.... The point is that we all know what he meant! Just becuase you are an engineer student or whatever doesn't mean we have to go by your words. Also..."A little bit of effort and research "... is not necessary, again we all know what he was talking about... What part don't you understand? If you really didn't want to be a dick you wouldn't of tried to correct him in the first place. I'm done with this..... you can try and explain yourself all you want, WE all knew what he was talking about you just wanted to be a smart as*.

Oh, So to the o.p.. have you decided which way you are gonna go?
Good
iron is iron and steel is steel period. There is absolutely no reason to get them mixed up. I would be happy to give you links to prove this. Now I'm a smart *** for trying to educate someone? You kidding me. This forum's entire foundation is education about gm vehicles with lsx engines. So in a way you just called all of us smart asses for correcting a stupid mistake that if you shut up in the first place, we would not have had this ridiculous argument
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks all for the advise and the education...it helped a great deal. I think I will try the Iron. Any advice on a shop; I'm near Missouri City?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

id go with iron if your going to turbo and push like 8 pounds.. you dont have to worry about forging and get decent power

Quick Reply: Aluminum Engine vs Steel LS Engine