After working at a job for over a yr, still haven't gotten a raise. What would you do

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you decide to get a new job, remember last hired, 1st fired.. ive been laid off 3 times already being the newest guy there. my last job only kept me a couple weeks before they laid me off again cuz the company we were contracted under "changed their mind" on needing more help
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be greatful YOU have a job compaired to the 16.5 million people who don't.

I don't know what you do nor do I care, but I would take your job in a second, because it means I'd have a job.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a pay cut last year, I may get a raise this year to be back where I was two years ago.

Originally Posted by _Zac
3 years for me with no raise. (Maxed out)
Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack. And a white man get paid off of all of that
Error in accounting?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I worked all through college, and a job with a flexible schedule (your schedule changes each semester) means more than the small difference in pay. once you graduate, worry about the money. In the mean time, be happy you have a flexible part time job you enjoy doing! Stay focused on school and you'll come out just fine in the long run.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

my old job told us "we should be happy to have a job" and that "a raise wasn't possible in this harsh economy," lol. so i went out and found a much larger raise then i was asking for at a job that gets me home every night. don't do anything rash without a back-up plan, but don't let them feed you that BS either.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

1 -2 days a week!!!! and asking for a raise, I dont see it happening. u are going to school and sounds like ur current job is great other then the pay cause people are getting paid more then you.... now look at them so called more pay people and is this their sole income, working 5 days a week, 40 hrs? are they going to school or is this it for them.... buddy you are going to school and with the current pay and only working 1 or 2 days a week should be more reason for you to accept the pay. if you realy like the job then when u get your degree apply for a higher position and I'm sure the pay will reflect it. plus everybody knows you so that should be a plus to get that position and pay you seek...... stay!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
.....I love the job. I get paid to play games, play sports, watch movies etc. And once the kids go to bed at 9-10, I can study. What do you guys think I should do?
Well you've got a choice. You can keep being happy and relaxed and given the freedom to do your school work while getting paid a little, or you can go make more money and lose those other benefits. Until work is priority #1, stay where you are.

I only work 1-2 a week, so its not like I'm banking, just wouldn't mind some recognition.
But they do recognize your good work. They tell you they appreciate you and they don't fire you. That's recognition. It's just not financial recognition. It may not be perfect, but it's good work history and if you keep it up it will be a good reference that can last a lifetime. Your position makes you look good on paper.

And they may be telling you the truth. They may not be able to pay you more. Just because others make more money doesn't mean they have the ability to do the same for you. Their jobs may command more money, or they have been there longer, or they have the ability to work more often.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
my old job told us "we should be happy to have a job"
thats how they treated us at Baker Hughes. so they stuck us with 7 day mandatory work weeks claiming that their work order log was well into the 140 million dollar range. next thing you know a month later i come in to work. and the laid off all the people on the shift i worked. including me.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'v made minimum wage for 2 years now
Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
thats how they treated us at Baker Hughes. so they stuck us with 7 day mandatory work weeks claiming that their work order log was well into the 140 million dollar range. next thing you know a month later i come in to work. and the laid off all the people on the shift i worked. including me.
I know. The company I worked for has alot of people at the house right now. Supposedly I wasn't going to be one of them, but I wasn't going to pass this one up hoping I wasn't being lied to.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Be glad I had a job and quit bitching, the squeeky wheel gets the grease and in this case the pink slip. Theres plenty other people to take your job if you bitch too much