A noob question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A noob question....

Hey guys, I got my car almost 2 years ago after an old man decided to stop at a green light and I totaled my other car. It's ironic how I was looking at F-bodies starting a week before the wreck, and then it happens...and I end up with one. The only problem is....I ended up with a V6 because of insurance at my age (18 now). After getting the Camaro I couldn't help but get into the f-body scene. I am no gear-head in the department of knowing an engine from top to bottom, but everyone has to start somewhere, and I try my best to learn and do things on my own so one day I might be able to put my own car together. Anyways, ever since I ended up with the car (love her to death) I've always had that itch for more. More power, more sound, more enjoyment, that you get from the LS1.

I am very picky on the way I like my Camaros, and looking for 2 years on website after website for that perfect one is turning up very few choices that are reasonable. My dream would be to have a stock bright rally red SS HARDTOP, but chances of that are slim to none.

My car meets the looks I want except for the black roof the LS1's have, and of course the hood and spoiler. But anyways, to the question, I would love to have that dream car, and I could turn my car INTO that car with some money and some time. The first step of course would be the LS1.

I know this question might sound stupid or completely retarded, but I really don't know of another way to put it. I am wondering how much a COMPLETE LS1 with all the necessary components and parts to switch it over into my V6, usually runs USED. Not too many miles, but around 60k or 70k is ok. My car is an A4 right now, I wouldn't mind keeping that as long as I get the V8. Do you have to switch out the transmission when switching engines like this or no?

Thanks for any help that you guys give me, and I hope this doesn't call for intense flaming. Remember, everyone has to start somewhere.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Not a stupid question it has been asked many times before, and there is a simple answer.

The swap you are wanting to do is honestly not worth the effort. The price of ls1 fbodies have dropped to the point that you can pick one up for as much or cheaper than the whole swap would cost after everything was said and done. So your best bet would be to sell the v6, and apply that towards an LS1 car.

I hope this answers your question, even if it wasnt what you wanted to hear.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have any info?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas Heat
Not a stupid question it has been asked many times before, and there is a simple answer.

The swap you are wanting to do is honestly not worth the effort. The price of ls1 fbodies have dropped to the point that you can pick one up for as much or cheaper than the whole swap would cost after everything was said and done. So your best bet would be to sell the v6, and apply that towards an LS1 car.

I hope this answers your question, even if it wasnt what you wanted to hear.
he is correct.... just save your money sell the v6 and buy a ls1 car.... its not worth it to do the swap; epically if you know nothing about what your doin its kinda a big job... just my 2 cents
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is exactly what i did. Able to sell my v6 for 4.7k and bought my new one just under 10k. . . Insurance did not really increase to much either
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

I know saving, and just selling my car, and buying an LS1 is the best way to go, but it is so hard to find a LS1 with a Hardtop. I honestly wouldn't mind another color along with red, like black, or white, I just have looked for SO long and have turned up very few hardtops. I guess my question was a little out there, but I was even thinking of having a shop drop an LS1 in it for me, then try my best to learn on it.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

there are write ups on about ever forum on how to do what you need. Very few places will just drop in an LS1. I would do alot of research ahead of time.

Use the search function to you will find other people that have done it and same question you have
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Just do it and learn something. Buying a different car is a cop-out. You actually want to learn something and get down and dirty, you can find a whole setup for around 2500 or so. That would be complete motor, tranny, harness and maybe a few odds and ends. You have to get a kmember for an LS motor. Sometimes you can get them for free on here, just have to be patient. You'll have to change the fuel setup a little bit. The wiring is where it gets fun. Go over to the hybrid section here and dig through all of the schematics and get the basics of the wiring. It may all look scary and whatnot, but you'll learn something that can go a long way with you. Like you said, you have to start somewhere............
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not a dumb question however it is a lazy one and just kind of shows your not really thinking about doing this or you would have atleast scanned he classifieds for a few weeks.

swaps have been known to sell for around $2500 higher or lower depending on mileage. $3grand with harness sounds about right, but you will be needing the k member and high flow fuel pump. you would also need a new driveshaft if i remember correctly, and alot of patience since this is your first project

since the v6 is your daily driver i would reccomend what the others are saying, pick up a used ls1fbody to use as your project car and keep your v6 as the daily driver. you can find higher mileage fbodys complete for what that swap is going to cost you in time and parts.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with above said, and im 23 so i was in your shoes not too many days ago. I got my NBM ls1 a4 camaro hard top for $6k. Ive done **** tons of work to this car, and every other car or bike ive ever owned, and i can honestly say that for the amount of work you will do, plus cost of parts, its just not worth it.

my advice? put a turbo on your V6, theyve been proven to push 700+whp on stock short blocks if your careful, and the parts are cheaper because theyre all generally smaller, OR, sell it and get a f-bod with an ls1