do i need back pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHA i saw the question and then looked at the name... 2fast2furious hhahaha. maybe you can get your answer from paul walker. lol
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ you are completely retarded. everybody knows Vin Diesel is the one with all the know-how, Paul Walker was just a driver. jeez, people these days........ OP, ask Vin Diesel, he has your answer.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea my bad well i just sayin if hes getting any information from 2fast 2furious i would ask paul over tyrese hahahahahahahaha
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no no no. the brains behind the operation was Jesse. at least the brains behind the cars. Dom was the brains behind the illegal activity.

so yeah ask this guy

Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^
Old 05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
HAHAHA i saw the question and then looked at the name... 2fast2furious hhahaha. maybe you can get your answer from paul walker. lol
Oh c'mon ease up. I think we all started off as clueless noobs. I'm sure you're guilty of asking a couple really dumb questions as well as the rest of us. Exhaust pressure is at least a legit question, not like the Tornado.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

naw OP isn't "just a clueless newb"...it's much much worse than that.

he's 2 fast 2 furious
Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend who bought a 5.0 for a project car. He asks me about everything he has a certain shop do, and this was something he had done without my approval. He asked because he had mid-length headers, and an x-pipe dumped. The guy at this "shop" talked him into long-tube headers (bbk) and a full cat-back exhaust system (flowmaster of all things...). Cost him a bit (about 1400) and the whole time I told him it was fine the way it was. They got him man. My exhaust was long-tubes dumped, and his defense was that I had an LS1 which needs less "backpressure".........
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KCS
Oh c'mon ease up. I think we all started off as clueless noobs. I'm sure you're guilty of asking a couple really dumb questions as well as the rest of us. Exhaust pressure is at least a legit question, not like the Tornado.
and it gets better!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

i was told i needed back pressure too....but obviously that's not the case....but i think when i was being told i needed back pressure it was just my buddies' way of saying i needed the right exhaust set-up....
but i have an open 3" ORY off of some 1 3/4 LT's and i have NO power at low rpm's....and i mean no power.....it pulls hard at the top end though....i've read them long right ups on exhaust already and understood a little of it but not a lot of it.....i have a 3" bullet muffler that i've though about putting on to help with the "back pressure" until i recently discovered back pressure is a bad thing....but my question is....would the muffler atleast help to give me some more power at the low end at the expense of the top end?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
I have a friend who bought a 5.0 for a project car. He asks me about everything he has a certain shop do, and this was something he had done without my approval. He asked because he had mid-length headers, and an x-pipe dumped. The guy at this "shop" talked him into long-tube headers (bbk) and a full cat-back exhaust system (flowmaster of all things...). Cost him a bit (about 1400) and the whole time I told him it was fine the way it was. They got him man. My exhaust was long-tubes dumped, and his defense was that I had an LS1 which needs less "backpressure".........
well if he follows that^ up with TFS twisted wedge heads, a big nasty cam, and a TFS intake then he'll be happy. otherwise....yeah he wasted money.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
i was told i needed back pressure too....but obviously that's not the case....but i think when i was being told i needed back pressure it was just my buddies' way of saying i needed the right exhaust set-up....
but i have an open 3" ORY off of some 1 3/4 LT's and i have NO power at low rpm's....and i mean no power.....it pulls hard at the top end though....i've read them long right ups on exhaust already and understood a little of it but not a lot of it.....i have a 3" bullet muffler that i've though about putting on to help with the "back pressure" until i recently discovered back pressure is a bad thing....but my question is....would the muffler atleast help to give me some more power at the low end at the expense of the top end?
all it will do is change the tone and change the airflow. if you want more torque then get a better torque converter. that is the best bang for your buck
Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

no it wont. at all. its a striaght through design which wont do **** for "back pressure" and again please take those words out of your vocabulary. its called restriction. and a bullet only offers sound deadening with very minimal restriction. what you need is a cam to fill up that exhaust

but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not change the exhaust just because your car "feels" weak at low RPM's. maybe change it because its too loud. but that will be the only reason. if you want power at low RPM...then grab a cam similar to mine. ie 224r, 228r, torquer v2 etc etc.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

okay then, restriction....lol....i understand that concept....just want you to know that....and you're right restriction is the right word for it rather than "back pressure"....

and i do plan on the 228r cam....i also plan on getting a SS3600 or PT4000 stall as well...the stall is going to be my next mod for sure (w/ a cooler of course)...but right now i'm cutting 2.0X 60's and it's killing me. I know i have the potential to run low 12's with my set-up if i can just get my 60' down....
Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

okay then, restriction....lol....i understand that concept....just want you to know that....and you're right restriction is the right word for it rather than "back pressure"....

and i do plan on the 228r cam....i also plan on getting a SS3600 or PT4000 stall as well...the stall is going to be my next mod for sure (w/ a cooler of course)...but right now i'm cutting 2.0X 60's and it's killing me. I know i have the potential to run low 12's with my set-up if i can just get my 60' down....
lol k just making sure.

PT4000 is a good convertor. that paired with a 228r and a good set of tires and i guarantee you will be much happier with your 60 times.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

us turbo guys have back pressure, but only because the exhaust is being forced to power a rather sizable air compressor. if all motor, you want max velocity with minimal restriction. so hes right, get a cam to fill them pipes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lmao!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am throwing my X pipe up tomorrow, with LTs (no cats) and magnaflow bullets, gonna be sick!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a lt1 with long tubes, high flo cats, and lm2...3in exhaust...nothing done to the engine, and i noticed as soon as i hit 3500rpms i can feel the car just take off even harder...is this the less power down low more power up top from the 3in exhaust im feeling?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
us turbo guys have back pressure, but only because the exhaust is being forced to power a rather sizable air compressor. if all motor, you want max velocity with minimal restriction. so hes right, get a cam to fill them pipes
well yeah turbo's are a whole different ball game. and there's just something about turbo lsx cars

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
I am throwing my X pipe up tomorrow, with LTs (no cats) and magnaflow bullets, gonna be sick!
yeah i ran a very similar set up for a good time. i hated to get rid of it, nothing can compare to the sound. but i found the cops in my area did not share the same enthusiasm.

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
i have a lt1 with long tubes, high flo cats, and lm2...3in exhaust...nothing done to the engine, and i noticed as soon as i hit 3500rpms i can feel the car just take off even harder...is this the less power down low more power up top from the 3in exhaust im feeling?
yes, but if you came from stock exhaust(or close to it) to that^ set up. you are feeling the difference in restriction. freeing up things like the horrible stock cats, piping, and muffler will actually see a gain pretty much everywhere. and more importantly give you a more usable power band. but from this point forward you will be trying to match your engine exhaust gas out put to the flow of your exhaust system. finding the right balance of flow, diameter, and sound deadening is what everybody is after. also other things to consider are turbulence, pipe length, muffler type, pipe angles, the different types of merges...and the list goes on.

i can tell you that generally speaking lower hp cars have an easier time finding a good set up. which goes back to the old horse power per dollar discussion.

Quick Reply: do i need back pressure?