Working + federal holiday = fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it suck to be at work on a holiday yes. But I am thankful for a job. I'm just a bit disturbed that so many people and companies are having to work today like it's just another day. I personally think it's disrespectful to not honor this day and remember those who gave all for us to have the liberties and freedoms that we do. That's why I'm bothered. Have me work Easter or some other bs holiday like Halloween. But if there is a purpose behind the holiday then give the respect where respect is due
Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesource
I love that place. The Warehouse Trio is bad ***!!!
Yeah it's one of my favorite promos we've ran over the years. We stopped it about 3 weeks ago though.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

I work for the Local Gov..
I told them I wouldnt be there today, but it wound up being closed as there is no ship to be unloaded..so everyone got the day off anyways.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Outta here

Catch ya;ll tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Halliburton here. Well bore intervention. Worked a short day of nine hours. We are off But a few major oil companies have us out. Don't bother me cause I had to work holidays while in the military. I'm glad our country does recognize its veterans and their sacrifice.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I work at O'reillys and we're open regular business hours. Hell we even had to put a sign on the door to let people know we'll be open regular hours.
lol do you work at the o'reillys in cedar hill? i was in there the other day and saw that sign, i was like wtf! lol i have to work today, no extra pay, just sittin around playing on the computer drinking monsters
Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm off, and I get paid to sit at home and do nothing
Old 05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigdave619
Does it suck to be at work on a holiday yes. But I am thankful for a job. I'm just a bit disturbed that so many people and companies are having to work today like it's just another day. I personally think it's disrespectful to not honor this day and remember those who gave all for us to have the liberties and freedoms that we do. That's why I'm bothered. Have me work Easter or some other bs holiday like Halloween. But if there is a purpose behind the holiday then give the respect where respect is due
You have to think that if everyone shut down for today then nothin would be going on. Try working in the oilfield. I miss every holiday every year except
one cuz of the schedule I'm on.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigdave619
The country cannot come to a halt so that everyone can BBQ, drink beer and complain about how shitty their jobs are the rest of the year. Cops, fireman, store clerks, restraunts, grocery stores and everything else we take for granted are all ran by people. Unless you'd prefer them to ran by people other than Americans, someone, somewhere must work on days that others get to enjoy off. Its just the way it is............

Originally Posted by Scira
Yeah it's one of my favorite promos we've ran over the years. We stopped it about 3 weeks ago though
That sucks ***.......... you need to tell the manager to bring that deal back. It was awesome.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm out too.. peace!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i'm having to work tonight, but at least i'm getting 1.5 pay for it. would i like to have the day off? sure. but i'd rather be working today than not having a job at all.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work for Dish network call center also open 365days a year 6 am - 1am.

My shift is 6am-2.30 pm

I got payed double today my holiday pay wich is 8 hrs and then only work till 11pm ...went to the beach with family HOT and packed! As hell!!! But was good times , But no camaro in sand lol that thing stayed home lol
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

To all the complainers with a job having to work today........ it could be worse. At least you have a job to complain about.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Work pays bills
Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The country cannot come to a halt so that everyone can BBQ, drink beer and complain about how shitty their jobs are the rest of the year. Cops, fireman, store clerks, restraunts, grocery stores and everything else we take for granted are all ran by people. Unless you'd prefer them to ran by people other than Americans, someone, somewhere must work on days that others get to enjoy off. Its just the way it is............

That sucks ***.......... you need to tell the manager to bring that deal back. It was awesome.
Don't forget IT, I was on call all this weekend so my weekend was non existent. Then again I love my job so no complaints here. Just think, at least with shift work you know your hours, me being salary no double time and so on. Plus we run a dristributed systems so failures are pretty much imminent.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Work at Chevron but took the kids to The Battleship earlier today. Getting paid close to triple time makes it well worth coming in tonight.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
I work for the Local Gov..
I told them I wouldnt be there today, but it wound up being closed as there is no ship to be unloaded..so everyone got the day off anyways.

Off topic...I think I saw you at wally word awhile back. You were leaving as we were getting out of the trailblazer. My 3yr old boy is a car freak and when you started it up I think he got a chubby. He was pretty excited and kept telling me, "cool car daddy, cool car" to which I agreed.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

I work at Bush IAH for an HVAC company that maintains all of the terminals but Term. E. I worked from 7-3:30. Double time and a half. Still didnt want to work but its way better having a job than not.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

i used to work reatil and the only days we would close if Xmas and thanksgiving. If you work on a holiday all you get is a damn floater. Which means u work the holiday and u can take another paid day off sometime within 90 days.

I dont know how they get away with that **** but i hated it !. Thanks GOD i work for an awesome company now.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad to work today. I got paid double-time.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
I work at Bush IAH for an HVAC company that maintains all of the terminals but Term. E. I worked from 7-3:30. Double time and a half. Still didnt want to work but its way better having a job than not.
Not to mention the fact that the airport NEVER closes and operates 24/7, even on Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year, etc.