I want to start a business but I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where in houston do you plan to do this?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

It will probably be on the NW side. Maybe in the Humble area. My house on the NW side is for sale and my wife & I plan on moving back there when it sells.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey this is BBR Performance,(Bad Boy Racing) iknow this sounds stupid, buti dont have any business degrees, and i was told to go to the local college and get a business plan and all that stuff. Man it turned out to be such a hassle. Some of the biggest businesses out there started out in the gutter. So...i kinda started out the same way....i just jumped in. I had maybe $2G's and i said screw it. I found a 8,000sqft building,kinda old but had mad potential,cheap rent,and a cheap deposit. Advertised a little localy with just some business cards and the first month was slow. Got 5 jobs in,Covered rent,lights,and a Lift. Ever since then....i have been slammed to where i am probably going to have to hire some employees now. I got my DBA,set up my accounts with O'reillys,Snap on,Home depot,Lowes,Auto paint suppliers,and of course the Business bank account with your local bank. I have been open for 4 months now and i just landed a huge contract on a job that i bid on with a local major company and i won the bid,did the job and the company thats paying me has no boundaries. So put your feet in the water and jump in.....thats my advice. You can do it right by going through all the steps but it will take a while. Now when i go to buy a new building for my shop....you better believe it that i will go get a business plan together for the new building and business loan. but for now....I will work off of what i got and use the profit to improve my business. No loans unless very small.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

How did matress mac do it?????? exactly.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dew it!!! But always have a plan B unless u rumn out of a buisness and try to be cheaper than the carwashes around u to get good buisness and ur main customers will be smal car dealerships so u would make good money. The thing i think is a bad idea is putting mods on other peoples car. 90% chance wil end up buying motors unless u really now what u are doing. Where do u work now? U can also work as a salesman and get more than 500 bucks on each car u sell plus hours u work at the shop. Starting a buisness by ur self is very hard and stressful. How do i know? My family started a buisness more than 25 years ago and it was. Very painfull but are buisness is still up and running thank god
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

sound advice for sure. the apprehension for me is the fact that i have a wife and little girl. i would love to just say go for it and just dive in and devote myself to the business. i can't do that though (and i say that with zero regrets). i just have to make sure i consider them in all of this as well. thats why it would start off as a very small weekend and evening gig. i think that with my skill and the prices that i have tentatively set in my head that i could definitely get some good business. i'd love to have the regulars that come in and i detail on a weekly basis and then some of the crazy over the top ones where i could really get in there to make their cars cleaner than when they were new. i think it would be cool to just have a cooler of drinks and some food (maybe a BBQ pit) and just BS about cars and get the work done while people are waiting. as far as aftermarket i think i would stay with the simple bolt on stuff. modular exhausts, intakes, grilles, steps for trucks, bedliners, car audio etc. i've even installed some suspension lifts on trucks too. i wouldn't try to make money on the parts (have a great deal through a family friend that i have already lined up), i'd just like to make little money for my time installing the stuff. then i would hope for repeat business and referrals through customers friends and whatnot. with it being on the weekend and being more of a hobby i know i would be way cheaper than any of the places around here. it's really what i love to do and am passionate about. my business plan needs a little work, but i dont really need loans to do the mobile thing for now. still need to get out and price places to rent to do the work should i go that route.

its great to read the success stories that people are putting in this thread. makes me feel a little less nervous. my hat goes off to all of you for your accomplishments
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Id say the biggest hurdle is going to be marketing. You cant really just throw up a sign. Realistically the overwhelming majority of people who are interested from a CAR WASH or AUTO DETAIL sign want a quick 15 dollar wash. Maybe you could dream up a way to consider offering both quick washes and full details. That gives you the opportunity to get basic walk in traffic and work them up to better services. But of course, that requires more hours. Just my .02
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

true. i'd definitely be putting the full time hours into the business, i would just be really hitting it hard on the weekends. plus i get off at 1130 on fridays so i have the majority of that day as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

another thing i got into looking at and researching was boat audio. my brother in law bought a boat over the weekend and the stereo was amazing. man you talk about a blank canvas. you can go from pretty tame to crazy with boat audio
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A-Dub
Id say the biggest hurdle is going to be marketing. You cant really just throw up a sign. Realistically the overwhelming majority of people who are interested from a CAR WASH or AUTO DETAIL sign want a quick 15 dollar wash. Maybe you could dream up a way to consider offering both quick washes and full details. That gives you the opportunity to get basic walk in traffic and work them up to better services. But of course, that requires more hours. Just my .02
This is true. If they are happy with what a car wash (automated,self serve or guys under an awning on the side of the road) does for them, they most likely will not be interested in paying for your services. I do both washes and details. It didn't take me long to figuire out that I do not do "quick" washes. I have some clients that I wash their car every week. Those can be fairly "quick". But someone who calls me with a DD that I have never worked on, it won't be quick. Most of the time they never schedule any work and that is fine with me. I have a client that bought a seperate garage away from the house to store his collection. He ask one day about washing some of his employee's cars. I agreed after much hesitation. It didn't take long to pack my $hit back up. I was half way through the first car (911, white with white wheels) and some lady comes out and "tells" me that the washes will be $15!!! Thats what they pay down the street. After a few words with her and another employee, I packed up. The owner called me later and apologised. Thats the day I realized that I do not and will not do "quick" washes. The guy spends 100K+ on a car and is happy with a $15 wash he gets from the guys on the side of the road?? Not a problem, just not a customer of mine. You can't afford to work two hours on a car for $15.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GL with that Trav

and don't be a stranger!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Teching In

*subscribed*

I am looking at doing a similar thing. I say go for it. I'm sure most of the big name stores/shops started out just like this. Good luck with everything.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'm going to. Gonna start working on the flyer shortly and I'll start putting them out and going to car shows and stuff that are around.

Thanks for the support A! Hope all is well!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

i through up an ad on craigslist. maybe i'll get some attention off of that while i get the rest of the stuff put together.

i'll just have to weed through the scams
Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

I have a little boy and a wife as well so i know what you mean. Thats why my business is part time until it blows up...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Teching In

“Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars.” Les Brown

ChaoSS, here’s a little inspiration for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkmZveqyU5E
Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

i promise his detail jobs are way more than $125

that was cool! that mobile rig is pretty slick too