?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

how hard is it to get a class a or b cdl. im 21yrs old now and need a better job. i went to go apply at a towing company yesterday and was told i wasnt old enough lol. so i figure id try driving locally or something.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

join the military......decent pay, benefits are great, and you'll never be laid off.

oh yeah a pay check no matter how crappy things are in the us is a good thing too
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

that is true lol , im to big to join the military and does not have teh ***** to go. lol although ive thought about the airforce many many times.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

i guess i start to many threads. i can take the test i just want to know whats on it i guess. i filled out an application for a delivery driver for pbc and it required a cdl. 15.20 an hr.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had i think a class c but for the most part on all of them i think the process is the same. Depending on what you are going to drive and the endorsements needed depends how many test you take. Then say you are going to drive a tractor with a trailer you have to show up at the dps office with the rig and they will do a ride along test and watch you do your air brake test and such.

Figure out what you want to drive first then try to find an employer that will work with you on getting it or you could go to the community college and do their program.

Edit after your^post: That is tough to answer because there are so many test. For instance i drove for Texas a&m and i had 6 different test i had to take for dps. A&M provided me with a huge study packet which i am sure you could locate something similar online. Cool thing is you can take the test as many times as needed but you can only test once a day.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

hmmmm well i need to find a book and study. i dont want to go on the road or anything. just around the city.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

To get my Class A CDL I had to take the written test, then do a driving test with the DPS person. Luckily I was already hired by Pepsi and they let me use the company truck to do my driving in. Otherwise, you'll have to rent one with a trailer..parallel parking was the hardest thing but I nailed it on the first try.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Theres a few companies around town you can "rent" a truck to take the driving portion of your test. I think its about 200 bucks, you follow them to the dps office, do the driving, take the written and ur done. My suggestion (I used to drive Over-The-Road) get every endorsement you can so you have every option available, plus it makes you look better to companies. I know the beer dist. companies are always looking for guys to deliver and they pay decent plus free beer!

PS. Go online to txdps website and they have the CDL handbook with EVERYTHING that is on the test and stuff u need to know!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Pick Up the CDL hand book @ the DPS office &study with a freind
*the questions at the end of each section are the ones they ask on the test*
Also IMO decide which endorsements you want or NEED, because some add to the cost of the CDL. Plus you can always go back & add endorsements later,so you dont have to cram as much info now.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Launching!

There's a lot of companies out there that will send you to truck driving school, just look in the paper. They'll pay for it as long as you sign a contract to work for them for x amount of time, usually a year or so.

Good luck with your venture, I've been driving trucks for 12 years and I'm looking for an out.

Big Chuk on the other hand, LOVES his boss. True story!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Chuk
Pick Up the CDL hand book @ the DPS office &study with a freind
*the questions at the end of each section are the ones they ask on the test*
Also IMO decide which endorsements you want or NEED, because some add to the cost of the CDL. Plus you can always go back & add endorsements later,so you dont have to cram as much info now.
You nailed that one Big Chuk. Although now after driving for going on 4 years now, having a CDL landed me this desk job. That guy, after u get ur cdl if ur having a hard time finding something local, I can give u names of places to go, but none of them are in the DFW metroplex, not too far though.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by avengedws6
You nailed that one Big Chuk. Although now after driving for going on 4 years now, having a CDL landed me this desk job. That guy, after u get ur cdl if ur having a hard time finding something local, I can give u names of places to go, but none of them are in the DFW metroplex, not too far though.
lol i was going to try to work for dr pepper or something. i seen some young dude around my age at 7/11 delivering sodas at 4 in the morning. ill keep you in mind tho.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

got my cdl book yesterday im going to study and practice some online tests.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Be a jigalo
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check Safety Kleen or any of their competitors out. SK sucks IMO, but they'll pay for all of your training and liscenses. I got sent to Cali for a week for their DOT/hazwopper training. Just work for them to get your stuff and run as soon as you find something else.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Find a bud with a rig and study. Got your written, then your driving test.In
Texas there is a loophole with the instructors. They don't have to have a CDL to administer the test but by law you have to have a lisenced driver in the vehicle when you have only a permit. The guy who gave me my test had no idea what it is like to drive a truck. I got deductions cause he said i wasn't looking down side streets as I was driving to scan for vehicles that could possibly pull out. I told him "You want me to look down side streets so I can rear end the guy in front of when I take my eyes off the road to look where im not going." Then I told him so if I have to do that its not my fault when I rear end somebody cause I have to look where im not going. After that discussions I asked him what CDL he had in which he replied he didn't have one. He didn't say much after that. Here's your sign.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^lmao, classic