When is Louisiana going to rename itself, "The feel sorry for us state"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010 | 10:24 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redz_02
Considering Austin is turning into a California, sadly Louisiana feels more south now . At least from an Austin standpoint.
Now that's a case of truth hurts.

Austin was freakin liberal enough without the invasion from California. The lefties in Kalifornia screwed up their own state so royally that they are abandoning it and moving here so they can start screwing up ours.
Old 06-28-2010 | 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Nobody needs to tell me about Ike, I was out in the middle of it turning on lights, and worked 16 hour days for three weeks.

This being said, you can't compare Ike (as bad as it was) with all the levees breaking and flooding New Orleans. You can't compare what happened in Galveston to people dying on the streets in New Orleans and going without food and water for 3-4 days. Mississippi was also hit hard by Katrina, but the damage was different than in New Orleans.

Who was to blame for the people of NO going without food and water for three days? Governor Kathleen Blanco, Mayor Ray Nagin, or Michael Brown who resigned from FEMA under fire. In a nutshell what happened is that people had faith in their government and the government let them down. In this country, in this day and time, people should never have to wait that long for food and water. Someone dropped the ball and did it in a big way, as there was a complete breakdown in the social system. The people had no direction, nobody to take charge. They only heard rumors of where to go, whether it was the Super Dome or the Convention Center.

A lot of you younger guys are big, bad, strong, and bulletproof, however those in need were sick, elderly, had children, and they needed the national guard, police, etc. to help those who could not help themselves.

A couple of weeks ago I gave a safety talk about hurricane awareness and the week or two before my speech, I watched several DVD's concerning Katrina, and I watched almost to a point of tears real people in real desperation for basic human needs. Hopefully the lessons learned from Katrina will never allow anything of this nature to ever happen again. There was negligence, almost to the point of being criminal, happen to the people of NO. A vast majority of poor people aren't bad, they are just poor, and during the aftermath of Katrina, they and the sick and elderly were the most vulnerable.

Last edited by old_goat; 06-28-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2010 | 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Christ no. I voted for Ron Paul.
Ah....explains it all.
Old 06-29-2010 | 04:56 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by old_goat
Nobody needs to tell me about Ike, I was out in the middle of it turning on lights, and worked 16 hour days for three weeks.

This being said, you can't compare Ike (as bad as it was) with all the levees breaking and flooding New Orleans. You can't compare what happened in Galveston to people dying on the streets in New Orleans and going without food and water for 3-4 days. Mississippi was also hit hard by Katrina, but the damage was different than in New Orleans.

Who is dumb enough to live under seal level? Behind levees?

Sure the hell wasnt a bunch of Texans.

Who was to blame for the people of NO going without food and water for three days? Governor Kathleen Blanco, Mayor Ray Nagin, or Michael Brown who resigned from FEMA under fire. In a nutshell what happened is that people had faith in their government and the government let them down. In this country, in this day and time, people should never have to wait that long for food and water. Someone dropped the ball and did it in a big way, as there was a complete breakdown in the social system. The people had no direction, nobody to take charge. They only heard rumors of where to go, whether it was the Super Dome or the Convention Center.

Why the hell would you trust a government that allows idiots to run for office just because a bunch of idiots can legally vote?

A couple of weeks ago I gave a safety talk about hurricane awareness and the week or two before my speech, I watched several DVD's concerning Katrina, and I watched almost to a point of tears real people in real desperation for basic human needs. Hopefully the lessons learned from Katrina will never allow anything of this nature to ever happen again. There was negligence, almost to the point of being criminal, happen to the people of NO. A vast majority of poor people aren't bad, they are just poor, and during the aftermath of Katrina, they and the sick and elderly were the most vulnerable.

Your mistake is...you are worrying about people besides number 1. I look out for me and my family, because the government and others sure the hell wont. They might talk about it and say some things to make folks feel better, but giving a **** about other people? That is just not what people need to do these days.

Not trying to be an *******, but i am just simplifying things a bit.
Old 06-29-2010 | 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Can't we all get along?!?
Old 06-29-2010 | 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Who was to blame for the people of NO going without food and water for three days?
They sure as hell found the time to wade their asses over to Walmart for that Visio Plasma television set or over to Academy to score that Michael Vick jersey. Couldn't have been that hungry.

I was comparing structural damage, not death tolls.

The oil spill seems to be Katrina 2.0.

Last edited by -Ross-; 06-29-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2010 | 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Your mistake is...you are worrying about people besides number 1. I look out for me and my family, because the government and others sure the hell wont. They might talk about it and say some things to make folks feel better, but giving a **** about other people? That is just not what people need to do these days.
Not trying to be an *******, but i am just simplifying things a bit.
Yes, I do have compassion for others besides myself and my family.

Plus, I don't need you to simplify things for me. Let's agree to disagree.

Originally Posted by -Ross-
They sure as hell found the time to wade their asses over to Walmart for that Visio Plasma television set or over to Academy to score that Michael Vick jersey. Couldn't have been that hungry.
Yes, a small percentage of people went bat **** crazy and they should have been arrested, but my heart goes out to the majority of the good people, those normal people who found themselves in very unnormal circumstances.
Old 06-29-2010 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Stop waiting for other people to do **** for you, go out and do yourself. Half my family lost their homes in South East Texas, and we waited at the gates to get in and get our **** back in order, we didnt wait for the gov. to send aid to help us, we made it happen on our own. And before you say the damage was as bad, we built more than one house from ground up.

Another thing half the people that came here still havent left and still act like we owe them something... if you love NO so much GO HOME and quit beggin
Old 06-29-2010 | 07:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redz_02
Considering Austin is turning into a California, sadly Louisiana feels more south now . At least from an Austin standpoint.
No ****. Might as well rename it from Austin, TX to SoCal, TX

Old 06-29-2010 | 08:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Louisiana is a close second to California in my book...
Old 06-29-2010 | 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Holy **** this thread is allsome
Old 06-29-2010 | 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Well...Texas had it's problems but we fixed them and moved on

Old 06-30-2010 | 01:43 AM
Launching!

Old 06-30-2010 | 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

^^^
Lol, that's what I've been saying since they first mentioned alex.
Old 06-30-2010 | 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

i was never a big fan of louisiana anyway
Old 06-30-2010 | 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

We're going to have the first ever Oilicane...and it could be epic.
Old 06-30-2010 | 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tripps
We're going to have the first ever Oilicane...and it could be epic.
Will result in this:
Old 06-30-2010 | 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
.....Louisiana did not ask for Katrina.....
New Orleans didn't ask for Katrina like a trailer park in tornado alley doesn't ask for a twister. You build in shitty spot, don't get upset when something bad happens. Someone built an entire city BELOW sea level for Christ's sake. It's not racial....not the black man's fault....blame the French.

.....In a nutshell what happened is that people had faith in their government and the government let them down. In this country, in this day and time, people should never have to wait that long for food and water. Someone dropped the ball and did it in a big way, as there was a complete breakdown in the social system. The people had no direction, nobody to take charge......
I think you hit the issue on the head and didn't even realize it. People wanted someone else to do something for them to save their life. If you're standing on a railroad track and can see death coming at you at 55 miles per hour are you going to jump off or wait for the government to send someone to push you off? Many people feel less sympathy (LESS, not none) for what happened with Katrina because the city had a lot of warning. They could have left. Some say they couldn't leave the town on foot. Cool, pick a hill and walk up. It's kind of sad that some people won't put forth the minimal amount of effort needed to save their own life. You better believe if I was there I would be walking my happy *** inland towards Shreveport or something. That being said, I am sorry that so many lives were lost. It's sad, I won't deny it. There was a huge gap in communication between the state/local governments and the federal government that led to the relief effort being much worse than it should have been. I agree. But I too start to get a little tired of listening to the media paint Louisiana as the "Why Me?" state every day......
Old 06-30-2010 | 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
HAHAHAHA, now thats some funny **** right there boys. Guess it would really be HELL ON EARTH!!
Old 07-01-2010 | 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got family in LA, but not NO. Some got damage from both Katrina and Rita. One of my uncles reroofed after Katrina and had to rebuild after Rita. They didn't wait for the government to do it for them.
I also had the misfortune of working with several refugees from NO. They were all completely worthless except two, one of which worked well, but had a bad attitude. Honestly, I have never worked with people that expected more with little to no work ethic.

I don't know where this expectation that the govt will take care of you came from. When did that ever become the goverment's role? I guess if you grow up on walfare you get that sense of entitlement. Personally I just want the feds to stay out of my business for the most part. I agree with the Do for yourself concept. Its called emergency preparedness and is common sense to me.