Any SAM students

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I can tell you is most shops in the NHRA (from pro stock to top fuelers), Offshore powerboat racing, IRL, NASCAR and many more smaller sanctioned racing series ALL have SAM graduates working for them all the way from engine builder, head porter, to tuner, crew chief, owner, etc.

Hell a lot of the shops around here in Houston (LME, HKE) are owned or employ SAM graduates.

it is a simple solution, you get out what you put in. Study, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE on the machines!!!! (Can't stress that enough)

I know more people than all my fingers and toes that have accomplished SAM and have been doing VERY WELL in their respective fields.

Last edited by | Powered by Satan |; 06-29-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Damn this has really got me thinking about going there. I've wanted to for a while but I don't want to loose my job. What kind of scheduling do they offer?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah well thats about anything in life, you get out what you put in. I do appreciate that it helps ease my mind a tad, only issue I have is finding a way to pay and live for the 9 or so months I am there lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

If you are really interested in building and working with racing and high performance engines SAM is just about the only place that even specializes in this. Plus everyone there is there because they love racing and building high performance engines. There are never any promises from any schools but the guys I know that wanted to work in this area all are doing what they wanted. Just make sure you are doing it because you really love it and the rest will happen over time. Also there is no reason (well besides money maybe) not to do both as a regular degree and SAM are possible as well and probably a good idea for some. When I was there we had many guys that were already degreed professionals and many students I had also went on later to also get a university degree as well. Plus someone with the experience of SAM or work at a race engine shop has a new appreciation of say mechaincal engineering or physics etc.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

We have morning and afternoon class. That way if you need to have a part time job to pay bills, you can manage your school and work schedules around each other. Also, if you're looking for a part time job, we can help you find something.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
your friend must be a retard.
Pretty ignorant statement there. But not surprising coming from you.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking into going for a while, how far is the school from Baytown? If it's close enough I'm sure I could crash with my dad and just find a part time job.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

SAM is about 30 miles from Baytown
Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DMSZ28
We have morning and afternoon class. That way if you need to have a part time job to pay bills, you can manage your school and work schedules around each other. Also, if you're looking for a part time job, we can help you find something.
This is starting to sound better and better. If only I could find a part time job that could cover my house and car payments
Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully jobs aren't too hard to find in the Houston area. I'm looking to come over to visit the school, check out apartment cost, and to look at the availability of jobs. Its going to be quite a move from Florida, but if everything pans out when I visit, I think it will be a good move and well worth it.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tripps
oh, coming fromt he endless knowledge you and your "friend" has posted in this thread.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pot meet kettle. Sweet blanket statement with a University being greater than another educational entity.

I also attended SAM and spent almost 4 years there working with Judson and the rest of the crew including David (DMSZ28).

I absolutely loved it and have certainly reaped the rewards of being there. I am not finishing my education as I am about to finish my Engineering degree so I can tag team whatever I want in the automotive industry if I so choose. I know KCS and another friend of mine are finishing their BSME so they can move even further into the industry. My other friend of mine was working for Costhworth in California in the Cylinder Head department before leaving to finish his degree. HOW SHITTY.

The school solely relies on how hard you are willing to work and sacrifice to get to the end result. If you put in your time in the classroom and down in the shop, you will reap the benefits of Casey Schneider, Shawn Hooper, Judson, and the rest of the gang there. They are some of the best in the country at what they do and offer SO much to learn. Take advantage of an uncapped plethora of knowledge.

-Gray
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I graduated from SAM so I thought I'd add my input.

If you're passionate about racing and you really want to learn from the best and have a foundation that can take you anywhere in motorsports that you'd like to go, SAM is the only place to go. There are SAM graduates working in every form of professional motorsports you could imagine.

The school will take you absolutely as far as you're willing to go, but it's totally up to you how far you'll go once you're in the school. Show-up early, take good notes, pay attention, ask questions, stay late, work on the projects, go to the races. Ya don't grind ya don't shine.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

God you guys are killin me! I might have a house for sale soon if anyone's interested
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
oh, coming fromt he endless knowledge you and your "friend" has posted in this thread.
Whoa..Chill the F out. Struck a nerve I guess

Last edited by tripps; 06-29-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Comparing how he ended up versus how I did after choosing "schools"..
You're simply not in any position to tell someone that they would be better off at another school, only because your friend failed to do well... or is he even done yet?

You don't know the OP, and you don't know what constitutes as "better off" for him. For me, I went from a tour in Iraq to testing 150 MPH Powerboats in the Gulf of Mexico in just over a year, thanks to SAM. I have several years of real world experience now, which REALLY helps getting these physics classes to stick to memory, since I see how they can be and will be applied. That experience and those certifcates will also look very good on my resume against another young ME graduate who is fresh out of school.

Do everyone a favor and let the people who have experience with SAM do the talking. If your friend's experience needs to be heard so badly, I'm sure he can figure out how to sign up on LS1tech and tell us all about it.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually went and took a tour of the school today, I'm very very very impressed with it and actually made the decision to attend next year. OP do yourself a favor fly out and stay for a day or two and actually tour the school and houston and what not, if your serious thats about the only thing I can recommend. I think the thing that made me bite the bullet is I got to actually talk to the kids who go there and they absolutely love it, Its one thing to talk to an instructor who wants your money and will tell you anything to get it but to hear it from students is just awesome. Bottom line is like any other school you get what you put in, most of the people who fail and bitch about school usually never show up for class or are just plain lazy and retarded.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whatsa347
I actually went and took a tour of the school today, I'm very very very impressed with it and actually made the decision to attend next year. OP do yourself a favor fly out and stay for a day or two and actually tour the school and houston and what not, if your serious thats about the only thing I can recommend. I think the thing that made me bite the bullet is I got to actually talk to the kids who go there and they absolutely love it, Its one thing to talk to an instructor who wants your money and will tell you anything to get it but to hear it from students is just awesome. Bottom line is like any other school you get what you put in, most of the people who fail and bitch about school usually never show up for class or are just plain lazy and retarded.
I completely agree with you on the instructor thing. It is nice to hear about the school from them, but I also like to hear from the current students themselves and the graduates. I was fortunate to talk to both students and a few instructors in Memphis 2 years ago at the Shootout. I'm just trying to get some time off work to go visit and hopefully that will seal the deal for me as it did for you.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJones87
I completely agree with you on the instructor thing. It is nice to hear about the school from them, but I also like to hear from the current students themselves and the graduates. I was fortunate to talk to both students and a few instructors in Memphis 2 years ago at the Shootout. I'm just trying to get some time off work to go visit and hopefully that will seal the deal for me as it did for you.
Its well worth it man, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was there.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Its well worth it man, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was there.

The engine dyno cell or cylinder head room will please any gearhead.

Quick Reply: Any SAM students