Dead Soldiers Purple Heart Stolen - Crowley TX

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
I could imagine it was some type of nice plaque/frame with the original certificate. Yeah everything can be replaced but it's x1000 more than that.
That's why I asked what was stolen. The medal is easy to replace, so is the case they usually come in, but the citation is a little more difficult to replace.

If that medal really meant that much to me, I personally wouldn't have it in a public library in the first place.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car can be replaced too, but it will never be like that car, get my drift? That medal was a symbol of his actions, any other medal, regardless of likeness to the original, will not be.

Regarding the original issue that theft was committed, theft of that nature is pretty low, and I hope the thief gets what they deserve.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KCS
What was actually stolen?

The medal itself is about $15.00 at any military installation with a Clothing and Sales. Surplus stores may even have them. I understand the sentiment and emotional attachment, but the medal is only a medal and is replaceable.

Why the medal was awarded, however, can never be stolen.

You totally miss the point!!! It doesn't matter that you can replace it, sentimental value alone is the point. That particular medal was the one that was given by the armed forces. That medal is the last thing received by the parents of a warrior (their son) fallen in war. Lets hope you nor anyone else has to ever deal with this kind of disgrace. that thief has disgraced both his family and his country, that a man died for.

The thief would prolly fit right into this church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church (of course this pisses me off more than anything)

USAF/E-6
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

And anyone can "buy" a medal, but only one is given in person for a reason.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by $750 L98
Your car can be replaced too, but it will never be like that car, get my drift? That medal was a symbol of his actions, any other medal, regardless of likeness to the original, will not be.
No, my car is suited to my taste. It's unique. That particualr medal isn't.

Originally Posted by TACE02
You totally miss the point!!! It doesn't matter that you can replace it, sentimental value alone is the point. That particular medal was the one that was given by the armed forces. That medal is the last thing received by the parents of a warrior (their son) fallen in war. Lets hope you nor anyone else has to ever deal with this kind of disgrace. that thief has disgraced both his family and his country, that a man died for.

The thief would prolly fit right into this church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church (of course this pisses me off more than anything)

USAF/E-6
No, I do get the point. I would be upset too, but I don't get why they're offering a reward like that for the original. The medal itself is just cloth and metal, but being awarded the Purple Heart is what is valuable and luckily, that can never be stolen.

I'd bet you guys $635 that I could go buy a $15 Purple Heart and say I found it and no one would ever know the difference, lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
If that medal really meant that much to me, I personally wouldn't have it in a public library in the first place.

You must be from a very populated city, Houston maybe?.. Crowley however is a small community and all its residents are very close.. So having the medal put in the public library was a big deal to his parents and friends.. I just dont understand why you have to come in here and offer your opinion on this matter.. Cool you have that right, But just leave it alone.. Some people think differently and you expressed that.. Now move on..
Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCS
Negative, that metal was given to his Family because he went above and beyond to defend our country and gave his life for our freedom. Who gives a damn what the metal actually cost. It was his recognition was the reason his family got this honor!

I never served in the armed forces but it pisses me off to no end when someone does something like this to one of our fallen heros.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by 01SOM
You must be from a very populated city, Houston maybe?..
LOL, how did you know? Haha

Crowley however is a small community and all its residents are very close.. So having the medal put in the public library was a big deal to his parents and friends.. I just dont understand why you have to come in here and offer your opinion on this matter.. Cool you have that right, But just leave it alone.. Some people think differently and you expressed that.. Now move on..
What's wrong with my opinion? I'm not discrediting anything or anyone, I'm not being negative.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Negative, that metal was given to his Family because he went above and beyond to defend our country and gave his life for our freedom. Who gives a damn what the metal actually cost. It was his recognition was the reason his family got this honor!

I never served in the armed forces but it pisses me off to no end when someone does something like this to one of our fallen heros.
The award is what is unique, that's why I said the citation would be harder to replace. The citation states the circumstances and reason for the award. The actual medal, the $15.00 piece of cloth and metal, is only a display of those awards, typically to be worn on a uniform.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
You're car is unique to you. It's a dime a dozen to others. Same with this purple heart. It's unique to the family, it's the one that was presented to them on their sons behalf. It's more than metal and cloth, it's the physical representation of their son's sacrifice. There are more like it, but none that are that specific one. My dad has many medals and he's very proud of them. When I was looking for them so I could put them in a display for him I couldn't find his Bronze Star. I could have gone down to Fort Hood and got another one, but he didn't want that one. He wanted the one he earned. I spent an entire summer going through boxes in the attic until I found it. That's the issue that's got me upset (not with you KCS, but the situation). One; It's insanely disrespectful. Two; The family deserves to get the original medal back, not a purchased replacement. I know you're not being disrespectful with your posts. I know that to you the replacement of the medal isn't as big of a deal, but I'm certain that it is a big deal to his family. They want the original back and I can completely understand why.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Teching In

ha i didnt wanna be a smart *** and say houston then you say your from a smaller town.. Everyone has an opinion but whens its expressed is the main thing.. here and now is not.. We understand the medal cost 15 bucks and is a material thing. That specific medal holds value with the parents, that 15 dollar metal and cloth.. Its the experience that went with that specific one
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KCS
I'd bet you guys $635 that I could go buy a $15 Purple Heart and say I found it and no one would ever know the difference, lol.
I am glad that is amusing to you. It is not amusing to any who have served their country... but in reality a low life is a low life and if anyone was to do that, it would make him/her just as much a low life as the thief himself.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by TACE02
I am glad that is amusing to you. It is not amusing to any who have served their country... but in reality a low life is a low life and if anyone was to do that, it would make him/her just as much a low life as the thief himself.
You think I haven't served my country? Lighten up dude.

ha i didnt wanna be a smart *** and say houston then you say your from a smaller town.. Everyone has an opinion but whens its expressed is the main thing.. here and now is not.. We understand the medal cost 15 bucks and is a material thing. That specific medal holds value with the parents, that 15 dollar metal and cloth.. Its the experience that went with that specific one
I know, but it does say I'm from Houston right under my avatar. I thought you were being a smartass, haha. My intent wasn't to go on this long about how it's just a piece of tin and thread, but just to say it can be replaced cheaply. From there, I've just been defending that position since everyone seems to want to argue to the contrary. On the bright side, this thread has over 300 views...

Originally Posted by TechCam97
You're car is unique to you. It's a dime a dozen to others. Same with this purple heart. It's unique to the family, it's the one that was presented to them on their sons behalf. It's more than metal and cloth, it's the physical representation of their son's sacrifice. There are more like it, but none that are that specific one. My dad has many medals and he's very proud of them. When I was looking for them so I could put them in a display for him I couldn't find his Bronze Star. I could have gone down to Fort Hood and got another one, but he didn't want that one. He wanted the one he earned. I spent an entire summer going through boxes in the attic until I found it. That's the issue that's got me upset (not with you KCS, but the situation). One; It's insanely disrespectful. Two; The family deserves to get the original medal back, not a purchased replacement. I know you're not being disrespectful with your posts. I know that to you the replacement of the medal isn't as big of a deal, but I'm certain that it is a big deal to his family. They want the original back and I can completely understand why.
I understand the emotional attachment and I understand why someone would want the original medal back. I agree that this is a crime commited by the lowest of scum. I just don't think that so much value should be put into the medal itself. The medal doesn't make the man.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
.....I understand the emotional attachment and I understand why someone would want the original medal back. I agree that this is a crime commited by the lowest of scum. I just don't think that so much value should be put into the medal itself. The medal doesn't make the man.
Trust me I get it. The discussion here is two sides of the same coin. The logical response versus the emotional one. I get where you're coming from.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Trust me I get it. The discussion here is two sides of the same coin. The logical response versus the emotional one. I get where you're coming from.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

just to be clear...you can not buy a purple heart or any other medal with high distinction without paperwork proving you were awarded it. Same thing with the purple heart license place, POW license plate, etc.

Could the family get a replacement for their sons? yea. But I just wanted to point out that little Johnny can not just walk into a military clothing store and randomly buy one..
Old 07-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

KCS - I respectfully ask that you stop posting in this thread. If the family wants to post details, they may. But until then, stop assuming and making light of this.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I am amazed that you have taken this post and made it about you and your opinions. This almost disturbs me as much as the theft.

Originally Posted by KCS
The award is what is unique, that's why I said the citation would be harder to replace. The citation states the circumstances and reason for the award. The actual medal, the $15.00 piece of cloth and metal, is only a display of those awards, typically to be worn on a uniform.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

As much as I hate to admit it I do somewhat understand KCS' point of view on the $650 reward. The army/navy/AF/marines would gladly provide another certificate for this award given the circumstances, and im sure they would pitch the medal in as well.

I also understand the families anger towards it, and can understand why the reward was posted. It was posted hoping to catch the piece of **** that did this, not to actually "get the award back."

I have 5 years of active duty Army under my belt so far, so I know what the purple heart stands for. I have had friends that earned it the hard way, and I would straight kill a ************ for stealing it.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KCS, you have to be fukin with us. Everybody on here including you know that if some piece of **** had stolen your Purple Heart, you would be one mad dude. You are kinda being an ***.

Quick Reply: Dead Soldiers Purple Heart Stolen - Crowley TX