VOLT = 41k, bring them to TEXAS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HTX
Civic vs. Volt?

If you care about the environment then both are not bad options to look at.

If you have a good amount of money to spend, and dont mind spending it, then you may want a volt. If you dont have a lot of money then a civic may be what your looking for.

Neither one supior over the other and noone is stupid for picking one over the other.
IMO its not about having alot of money.. i would rather drop the $20k difference between the civic and the volt into making my fun car faster then having a daily driver with leather Vs cloth.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

I always laugh when people point out sentence structure on a damn forum.

I was trying to be short and make this easy to read, not write a damn english paper.

The point of the article i posted was not to show that solar energy is the way to go, solar energy is retarded for the most part. Solar is a great addition to take a load off, but as you stated it only works when its sunny.

I was trying to point out how expensive an uneconomical Nuclear energy is at this time. Maybe one day it will be our main energy source, but for now and for the near future oil is the the most logical answer.

As for the Volt, I think electric cars a great in many ways but also have many downfalls, interesting car though.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by White_lightning

(3) Ross, you drive a buick regal and a big redneck truck.. so while i drive a lady car, your buick regal is the Epitomy of the " one foot in the grave" 90 year old grandma car.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thoroughly convinced you are mildly retarded.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Every single one of you are missing the point of this car.

Its made to compete with the smugness of prius owners. Its not about MGP, never has been, never will be. Its so the hippies can say "look what I drive, my car causes less pollution than you."

Being said...I think the volt is a pretty good idea and heading in the right direction.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

A few of you guys keep mentioning that this is a step towards lowering our dependency on foreign oil. That may be the case, however this will not lessen our dependenby on other countries to produce the technology that goes into the car. GM imports more of its materials, technologies, engineers, and factory workers from other countries. GM also has alot of its cars built in other countries then imported to the US. IE our F-Bodies are Canadian built.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ss1129
Every single one of you are missing the point of this car.

Its made to compete with the smugness of prius owners. Its not about MGP, never has been, never will be. Its so the hippies can say "look what I drive, my car causes less pollution than you."

Being said...I think the volt is a pretty good idea and heading in the right direction.
I agree 100%.

The Volt is also a very good way for them to keep the overall mpg ratings of their current vehicle lineup at a higher average, in turn complying with government mpg (Is it 26mpg overall now?) standards.

Cars like the Volt will allow GM to continue producing 20mpg highway vehicles like the Tahoe.

Last edited by -Ross-; 07-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Canada > japan
Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thoroughly convinced you are mildly retarded.
because i pointed out your ugly old lady car is an ugly old lady car? i dont care if its a Blown regal, it's ugly as sin.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Anyway, im done here.. Ross if it makes you feel better thinking your granny car is so amazing by calling me "retarded" go for it.I guess if i drove a buick regal and thought it was amazing i would run around insulting everyone else to make myself feel better too.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyway, im done here.. Ross if it makes you feel better thinking your granny car is so amazing by calling me "retarded" go for it.I guess if i drove a buick regal and thought it was amazing i would run around insulting everyone else to make myself feel better too.
Yeah. I think my 13 year old daily driver is "amazing". LOL!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Yeah. I think my 13 year old daily driver is "amazing". LOL!
It's better than a honda.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

because i pointed out your ugly old lady car is an ugly old lady car? i dont care if its a Blown regal, it's ugly as sin.
I'm telling my mom!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Teching In

because i can afford to have a car that i drive daily. and a car that i can keep as a toy..

i drive 75 miles a day.. i would rather keep the vette for when i want to have a little fun dragging slow f-bodies around.

im sure you make 300k a year.. with your old and busted formal and **** box truck too.. lol..

does my wife have my *****. sure she does.. she has also bought me most of my mods too.. dont you just HATED a wife who supports your hobby???

Yeah It really sounds like you can afford a daily since you had to settle with a slant eye. Lol...And yeah my ***** all busted. But at least it dosent fart when I hit that gas.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoudGM
HONDA = Sucks more dick than your MOM!!!!!!!
hahahah
Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bruser's LS1
I agree. We have the technology now for cars to run off Nuclear power, but because of extremist out there it want be happening soon.
Or miniature nuclear reactors unit to power a neighborhood. But the whackos out there use scare tactics to prevent actual progress. The name progressive is a veritable misnomer.

The U.S. Navy has successfully used for decades - without incident - nuclear-powered submarines and ships. The technology is proven and has been around for a long time.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you guys gonna sell your rides that are destroying our planet and buy the Volt or just talk about it? Cuz I am in the markert for a nice 4x4 mega cab and big wheelz!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Launching!

1. No one here is going to buy one, it's a niche/experimental market.

2. You can't compare used cars to new ones.

3. A Buick Regal and Honda Accord are both boring, bland, and reliable.

4. Electric drive vehicles will replace mechanical ones. It's only a matter of time.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HTX
A few of you guys keep mentioning that this is a step towards lowering our dependency on foreign oil. That may be the case, however this will not lessen our dependenby on other countries to produce the technology that goes into the car. GM imports more of its materials, technologies, engineers, and factory workers from other countries. GM also has alot of its cars built in other countries then imported to the US. IE our F-Bodies are Canadian built.
....I'm pretty sure that no one is wanting the US to be completely independent in every way. We just don't want to have to get the majority of a commodity that runs our cars from the Middle East. Hopefully soon we can say **** you jihads, and your camels, and your hot *** desert, and the ugly sheet-draped hoars you possess.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
Where'd you get that information from?
anywhere. Do you really think we would import oil if we didn't have to? Just google US's needs for oil and it will show that we can't support our own addiction to oil.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas94z
This car is the beginning of the future for daily commuters. The VOLT is the part of America's plan to end our dependence on foreign oil. Thats all it is. The Gov is paying for a good piece of the 41k. The United States Gov wants you to buy this car. They will pay you 7.5k if you buy one! Honestly, who cares about the price. GM's target market is the middle and upper class American families that that are concerned about America's horrible economy. Those families can afford them and will buy them. Who wouldn't? You're buying GM's Model T. The beginning of the future.

I'm tired of listening to haters ripping on the VOLT. "Oh the Prius is way better blah blah." The 2011 VOLT is not about profits, its about changing America's roads for the future. A future where we can go out exploring America's roads in my Chevy without paying the oil rich middle-eastern tycoons an arm and a leg.

As we all know, Texas is the greatest state of the history of the world.
Texas leads the nation with "oil conserving" technologies. We lead everything. Smart Texas families will buy this car. Austin is going to be crawling with these.

Go Chevrolet. Go America. And most importantly, GO TEXAS.
''

Im sorry, but your post here is full of misguided opinion and bad information.

Electric cars are not the saviors of our energy dependence on oil. If everyone right now started driving electric cars, we would still drill, buy, and produce oil. Byproducts of crude oil pretty much are a part of production in every manufactured good, and harvested good. When we discover how to maintain nuclear fusion, we will still use bi-products of crude oil.

Mining the zinc, and lithium to produce the battery more than offsets the environmental benefits of an electric car. Long story short, it pretty much destroys the surrounding environment and poisions drinking water for locals. No its not in our backyard, but it still has an environmental and human health cost. Not to mention a battery costs ~$5k.

We get the bulk of our imported oil from Canada, Mexico, and South America. Not the mideast. China is a huge buyer of mid-east oil. In fact, they are a primary buyer of Iranian oil.

IMO, this technology is going to be just as beneficial as ethanol.

Bring on the ******* smaller, turbo diesels. Why don't they produce the 1/2 ton silverado with the 4.6 li duramax? For the love of God, why won't they make these?A VW tdi will smoke this Volt in mileage, efficiency, and power. Bring on electronic valves for gasoline engines.

Enjoy driving a Volt on the 610 loop at rush hour in Houston. Hopefully Julio the dumptruck driver sees you before he cuts you off doing 75 mph. Also enjoy paying for it twice, since they developed this thing with our tax dollars.