Just got back from Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got back from Dallas

Had a work visit over the weekend at our data center in the Infomart building. I had some more time this trip, so I did some driving around, and confirmed that this is just a really crappy part of town.

The work stuff went smoothly, and I was glad I flew in this time, as the drive from Houston just wears me out.

However, the best part was my rental car.

Now, I've heard good things about the Ford Focus as a daily driver/commuter. Not fast, but reliable and decent features. So when I rented one, I was looking forward to it.

Then I saw it.

It was like driving around in C3PO. And the looks I got ranged from "what kind of ******* drives a GOLD car" to "you don't look like you belong in that car".

The left front tire was also down to the wear bars, so driving around corners sounded exciting, even at low speeds.

-Mike
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Teching In

garland?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Haha - you got a gold rental car? That must have been exciting ... I'd have walked back into the office adn said "Sir, you must have made a mistake - I need a new car"
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98Roller
garland?
No, over near Love Field.

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Haha - you got a gold rental car? That must have been exciting ... I'd have walked back into the office adn said "Sir, you must have made a mistake - I need a new car"
I thought about it, but decided it was just going to be transportation in the small area where I was going to be. I don't know what it is, but every "car guy" I know ends up getting the worst possible rentals, unless they specifically ask for something. Lesson learned.

Every time I go on one of these work trips, there is some crazy thing that happens. Last time, a co-worker and I went to Wendy's on Harry Hines Blvd, and it was...eventful. From the guy begging for change IN LINE IN THE RESTAURANT to the drug deal going on outside, it was surreal. This time, it was the GOLD car.

I'm thinking of writing a book. "Trips to the Dallas Data Center"

-Mike
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Bad part of town but at least you were fairly close to downtown.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You obviously didn't drive 5 minutes East to the Park cities area or 5 minutes South to the Uptown part of downtown though I totally agree the Infomart is in a nasty part of town.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

It's just a color. It's not actual gold. lol.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TexasVortexx
You obviously didn't drive 5 minutes East to the Park cities area or 5 minutes South to the Uptown part of downtown though I totally agree the Infomart is in a nasty part of town.
No, I did drive around this time and confirmed what I suspected. The Infomart is just in a bad part of town. I had to make a Fry's run, so I went to the one off of Olympus and 635, and that all looked really nice. I also went over to Pluckers on Greeneville Avenue and had dinner last night, and there wasn't anything wrong with that part of town either. It's just the area around the Infomart and Harry Hines Blvd that's scary. If someone came to Houston and was only shown 4th Ward, they probably wouldn't think much of Houston, either. Same thing here.

-Mike
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work about 4 miles North of the Infomart at Mockingbird Lane, it's no better!